What's new

Fountain Pens

I guess people weren't paying attention to eBay on New Years Day, so I nabbed a Pelikan M400 in blue stripe for $95.... I can add that to the rest of the collection. Rik, let us know how you like that M800 when you get it!

Scotto said:
I guess people weren't paying attention to eBay on New Years Day, so I nabbed a Pelikan M400 in blue stripe for $95.... I can add that to the rest of the collection. Rik, let us know how you like that M800 when you get it!
Nice grab! :thumbup1:

I received the M800 this past week and LOVE IT! It's a perfect fit for my hands and very smooth. I also really like the blue stripe - my other Pelikans are green stripe. Great tip Scotto with Levenger. I received my order from them this past week as well. Exceptional ink and paper! I also ordered a Lamy 2000 fountain pen to match my multi-color 2000.

Levenger is great. I have used lots of stuff from them over the years (not just pen stuff), and their customer service is great. I have a bedside atomic clock from them that died after more than a year. I called them up and they sent a new one no questions asked.

Their paper is wonderful. I use their pads almost exclusively, and their notebooks are my weapon of choice at work also.

It has been a while since I bought any new inks, but now I am hearing about this Noodler stuff that is actually waterfast on paper. Sounds like a must have for work.

Scotto said:
Levenger is great. I have used lots of stuff from them over the years (not just pen stuff), and their customer service is great. I have a bedside atomic clock from them that died after more than a year. I called them up and they sent a new one no questions asked.

Their paper is wonderful. I use their pads almost exclusively, and their notebooks are my weapon of choice at work also.

It has been a while since I bought any new inks, but now I am hearing about this Noodler stuff that is actually waterfast on paper. Sounds like a must have for work.
Agreed. I ordered a decent variety of their ink. The waterfast will go into the pen I use to sign my contracts.

Thanks to you guys,,,,,

I may not have bought a pen...even though I dabble with Pilot Varsity pens for fun...I got a Morgan desk pad for the office...I could not see paying the $118 origianl price, but it is on sale for $39...in the terra cotta red....

my desktop is black, silver and red anyway...hope it looks good...yes I have a stand to shine shoes...I have a desk, too....after all it is a business !!!!

thanks again to you all....

mark tssb

Scotto said:

What a deal! I'm contemplating an M600 in the near future since I already have an M200. Now, if I could just learn to write to where I could read it!

Jerry

mark the shoeshine boy said:
Thanks to you guys,,,,,

I may not have bought a pen...even though I dabble with Pilot Varsity pens for fun...I got a Morgan desk pad for the office...I could not see paying the $118 origianl price, but it is on sale for $39...in the terra cotta red....

my desktop is black, silver and red anyway...hope it looks good...yes I have a stand to shine shoes...I have a desk, too....after all it is a business !!!!

thanks again to you all....

mark tssb
Very nice! I'm amazed with how much fine quality desk accessories run. But it's like anything else, you get what you pay for unless you come across great deals like you guys.

DoubleE said:
What a deal! I'm contemplating an M600 in the near future since I already have an M200. Now, if I could just learn to write to where I could read it!

Jerry
Believe it or not, fountain pens make my handwriting much more legible. Force me to use a ball point or roller ball and forget it - I can't even read the resulting chicken scratch. :redface:

For Christmas and birthday, my son bought me a Nimiki vanishing point with medium nib. I found the Waterman Phileas on sale for $24.95 and couldn't pass it up.

I've fired them both up with ink and the Waterman is a joy to write with. The VP on the other hand was a skipping machine. I called JOON and they told me to clean it because some manufactures test pens before they leave the plant and it could still have some residual ink in the nib. I'm soaking it now so we'll see. It may be going back for a replacement.

The Waterman actually writes smoother but the customer service rep also said it sometimes takes awhile to break in a new pen. Again, we'll see after a short break-in period. I'm going to re-ink it soon and hopefully it'll come around.

Jerry

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry, I had a Vanishing Point a while back, and I returned it because of chronic skipping. I have Phileas also, and it is a nice little pen. Just be careful wiping the nib, because the el cheapo gold finish can wear off, unlike some higher-priced pens.

I am waiting for my M400 to arrive this week, plus I ordered bottles of Noodler's waterproof black and walnut inks.

Scotto said:
Jerry, I had a Vanishing Point a while back, and I returned it because of chronic skipping. I have Phileas also, and it is a nice little pen. Just be careful wiping the nib, because the el cheapo gold finish can wear off, unlike some higher-priced pens.

I am waiting for my M400 to arrive this week, plus I ordered bottles of Noodler's waterproof black and walnut inks.

Scotto, if this one isn't corrected with a cleaning, I'll probably just return it and get something else.

I didn't expect much of the Phileas but for the price, I couldn't resist. Not surprising you can wipe of the gold.

I'm still looking at a Sailor 1911 or a Pelikan 600.

Jerry

My order of Noodler's and Private Reserver ink from The Inked Nib came today.

I filled my M800 with the waterproof blue. It's waterproof! After writing a note and letting it sit for a minute or so, I wiped it with a wet paper towel. Very light smearing and extremely legible. Tried the same with a couple of old To-Do lists written in regular ink - just about wiped the paper clean. Clearly this will remain in this pen as it's the one I use for signing contracts.

That being said, the color really doesn't do much for me. It's blue. Very similar to the color of a Cross blue ball point. Doesn't have the same punch as Levenger's cobalt blue. I picked up a variety of Noodler's colors (huge selection to choose from) which I will try in my other pens.

Well, I sent the Vanishing Point back which is too bad because I like the concept. After a good cleaning and a different ink, it still skipped. I called the store in NY where I purchased it and spoke with their resident FP expert. He recommended the Waterman Expert II which was about the same price so we're going to swap pens. I love the way my Phileas writes and he said the Expert II had one of the smoothest nibs Waterman makes. We'll see.

I now have Waterman black, blue, brown, and purple inks. Not to crazy about the brown but the purple looks pretty cool. I added a few drops of black to it to darken it just a little. I'm not a light blue ink fan so I'm going to have to try Noodler's to get some darker blue.

Jerry

Got my Pelikan M400 today, along with Noodler's black and walnut inks:
full

The nib is extra-fine, which is great for the way I write. Smooth as butter, too, which says a lot for the quality of the pen.

full

The Noodler's walnut is real nice - a deep brown. Different enough to not be boring, but still professional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pen Scotto. As I mentioned, Noodler's ink is on my short list of things to buy. Well...not that short of a list anymore. If shaving stuff wasn't bad enough, now pens too! Great price on that pen too.

Jerry

Beautiful pen, Scotto! Pelikans are the Simpson's of Pendom, IMO. I prefer the 600 size but I have a couple of beauties in the 400 size also. I keep waiting for an M600 in dark tortoise. I'd even settle for a M800. I already have a couple of different versions of tortoise in the 400 size.

-Gerald

The nib is extra-fine, but Pelikan's run slightly on the large size, so I would say it writes like the smaller end of a fine. Really nice flow with this ink, also.

Jim, I got the inks at Pendemonium, and they provided good service. If you are looking for Noodler's, The Inked Nib has them for significantly cheaper (which I found out after the fact :mad: )

Top Bottom