What's new

Fountain Pens

Tonight was a real disappointment. I went to OfficeDepot, who told me on the phone they had an incredible selection of pens to choose from, plus a variety of ink. So I made the trip. They did have the Waterman Phileas, but only in the medium nib. And for ink? Parker Quink (black) and Montblanc (black). Granted, they had a good selection of pens, but pretty much more than I am willing to spend.

I emailed back and forth with Pam at Brauns, and she does not have 2 of the three pens I would consider. She is very quick to respond to email, but the website is pretty barren. Hard to shop from an empty shelf.

So, the search continues...

Randy

Since I have no REAL experience with fountains I decided that something enexpensive would be the way to go but stick with a good name. The Pelikan future fountain http://www.inkednib.com/products.asp?cat=11&pg=2 is a very reasonable price and a good name....what do you guys think. It says its cartridge or converter fill so im going to by the cartridges for when im at sea and the converter for when im at home. Im guessing I just need to pruchase some ink beyond the cartridges and converter...anything else or should I consider a different pen.

Just to throw in my two cents worth...I have a couple of old pens that were passed to me with some of my grandfathers stuff. I don't know what they are or where they are for that matter now. I'll have to look around, you guys got me curious. On the other hand I do use a cheap department store Parker fountain that takes a cartridge. Writes nice an smooth, never clogs.

-Rusty

gage0921 said:
Since I have no REAL experience with fountains I decided that something enexpensive would be the way to go but stick with a good name. The Pelikan future fountain http://www.inkednib.com/products.asp?cat=11&pg=2 is a very reasonable price and a good name....what do you guys think. It says its cartridge or converter fill so im going to by the cartridges for when im at sea and the converter for when im at home. Im guessing I just need to pruchase some ink beyond the cartridges and converter...anything else or should I consider a different pen.
Sean, I have never written with one of those, but it looks like their old "GO" pen which you can find on eBay fairly cheaply. I have one, and it is a nice writer for the price.

Scotto said:
Sean, I have never written with one of those, but it looks like their old "GO" pen which you can find on eBay fairly cheaply. I have one, and it is a nice writer for the price.

The GO! is the M75. My understanding is that this model had too many features (dedicated piston fill, quality nib) of the more expensive pens and was discontinued. I guess it doesn't pay to compete with your own products. I have one and love it. I just wish the cap would stay on better. I can't carry it anywhere for fear of making a mess should the cap come off.

I cant be sure but I dont beleive you can change the nib on it which makes it not as appealing. I tried calling pendemonium for some guidance but they are out of town on a convention.

Sean,

You can find the Rotring 600 on e-bay under $40. They are very heavy and finely crafted.

The Lamy pen's are easy to hold and a good value.

Bob

The Lamy Safari is a tough pen. Also, the Rotring Core can be had for around $15 on ebay, the Safari not quite as inexpensive.

Randy

Sean:

Have you checked out Oscarbraun for pens? You might call Pam there and see if she has any specials. I bought a Rotring Core for $5.00 there. She has a Pilot Knight for $31.00 that's a nice pen for the money. Also, the Lamy studio looks nice.

I bought a Vanishing point f/nib and it didn't write well at all. I returned it to Joon and bought a different kind of pen. My son ordered one, m/nib and it writes like a dream! They are a very cool design and I may yet order another because I hate fiddling with the caps!

The lamy studio is a nice pen....I went on ebay and found the rotring for $25 think ill go that route...cant seem to find the pilot vanishing point for under a $100 though.

Ive settled on the rotoring in a medium nib for now and to follow will be a pilot vanishing nib in a medium. With the rotoring I will also pruchase the led pencil in the same series.

I found a some what old fountain pen of mine from years ago that ive only used cartridges with..as a matter of fact I found a old cartridge still in place. The nib soaked over nite in water and it is on its second soaking. I have no idea who makes it but im curious as to if a converter could be used how I can go about getting a different nib because if I remember correctly the one I have skips and drags.

gage0921 said:
I found a some what old fountain pen of mine from years ago that ive only used cartridges with..as a matter of fact I found a old cartridge still in place. The nib soaked over nite in water and it is on its second soaking. I have no idea who makes it but im curious as to if a converter could be used how I can go about getting a different nib because if I remember correctly the one I have skips and drags.

Sean,

If possible, post pics. If we can't figure it out, try www.fountainpennetwork.com

Randy

Top Bottom