What's new

Forthcoming Changes to FDA Regulations?

So, my sister and brother in law came to visit this weekend. My brother in law works for a Congressman, and he'll occasionally talk to me about what he knows is going on behind the scenes in the House. He said that we should expect something positive on the tobacco front, in regards to the FDA regulations. There's some technical issues that make things interesting/complicated, but he thinks that they're going to kill it. It's not a matter of if, it's only a matter of when.

That's about the most positive thing I've heard on this front.

Cautiously optimistic. :001_smile

Awesome possible news.. don't tell my wife though, she's all aboard with me stocking up the tobacco cellar, and now picking up pipes made outside the US cause they were targeted as well. :lol:

So, my sister and brother in law came to visit this weekend. My brother in law works for a Congressman, and he'll occasionally talk to me about what he knows is going on behind the scenes in the House. He said that we should expect something positive on the tobacco front, in regards to the FDA regulations. There's some technical issues that make things interesting/complicated, but he thinks that they're going to kill it. It's not a matter of if, it's only a matter of when.

Here's hoping.

Awesome possible news.. don't tell my wife though, she's all aboard with me stocking up the tobacco cellar, and now picking up pipes made outside the US cause they were targeted as well. :lol:

I keep my wife in the dark as much as possible. Just installed a new cabinet today, to hide more stuff. :thumbup1:

You know. This could go either way. I agree that his anti regulation stance is a good sign, and I truly hope like the above poster said, that some thing is already in the works. I am pretty much anti regulation as well. The free market is the best chance that this country has at a turn around. Personally, I am not a republican or democrat. I guess I identify better as a libertarian, but I wouldnt call me that either. I believe, we are free people, in a free country, if we want to indulge in something that could harm us, as long as we arent hurting other people, then the feds should stay out of it. Destroying companies, jobs, and a whole host of other things is not the way things should be. Personal liberties aside, the economy will feel the effects as well.

I hope President Elect Trump, will turn alot of things back to the way it was prior. I just dont know that it will happen. I do have Hope though. That is more than I have had in the past.

Also, I wanted to say, Good job guys. See we can have an intelligent discussion, with out throwing insults. I hope this thread continues as it has.

I may be missing some information in this, so correct me if I'm wrong. It seemed to me that this was a regulatory effort made by the FDA and not an actual law (act of Congress). If that's the case I'm assuming it can easily be rolled back, similar to any of the Executive Orders.

Good to hear some positive info from someone connected to the house. Thanks for the info Jason.

I may be missing some information in this, so correct me if I'm wrong. It seemed to me that this was a regulatory effort made by the FDA and not an actual law (act of Congress). If that's the case I'm assuming it can easily be rolled back, similar to any of the Executive Orders.

Good to hear some positive info from someone connected to the house. Thanks for the info Jason.
As I understand it, yes, a stroke of the pen will or could undo alot of it. A new Head of the FDA would surely start things off right.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

It depends on whether the regulation was put in place due to legislative mandate, which I don't think is the case here.

Resurecting an old thread. If you haven't read Rick Newcombe's article in Reason Magazine, you need to. Here is the link to the article.

He has a somewhat positive outlook due to the sheer ludicrousness of the FDA regulations. It is a good read for all partakers of the brown leaf!

It would take an act of congress, and thus a lot of political will, to change the law as it exists presently. So I'm not seeing it happen.

The best we can hope for, in my opinion, is Trump mandating that FDA not enforce the rules, which would be far simpler and faster for everybody involved, though obviously less ideal. Then in 4–8 years it becomes some other president's problem.

Anyhow, that's what I'd bet on happening.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It would take an act of congress, and thus a lot of political will, to change the law as it exists presently. So I'm not seeing it happen.

Changing the statute does take an act of Congress that probably ain't gonna happen anytime soon, if ever. However, changing the regulations that the FDA created under the statute is purely administrative--still something of a mess, but it doesn't take Congress getting involved. Changing the FDA's interpretation of the regulation pretty much takes a phone call. Of course, the easiest ways out of this situation could be reversed just as easily.

I'm cautiously optimistic. It doesn't take law to roll back regulation, but it sounds like some legal relief may be imminent, even if the regs aren't rolled back.

The actions of government agencies are a reflection of the administration they're serving under. I think we're in for a fairly large culture shift. The impact of these regs on business and jobs will get attention if nothing else.

Reading the new rules on pipe tobacco, I can't find any "real" huge threat on the tobacco we buy today. Can someone give me a brief description of what you feel the loss will be. I've talked to several people in the inside and there does not seem to be the panic I read here.

Any help would be appreciated

Reading the new rules on pipe tobacco, I can't find any "real" huge threat on the tobacco we buy today. Can someone give me a brief description of what you feel the loss will be. I've talked to several people in the inside and there does not seem to be the panic I read here.

Do you enjoy any cigars or pipe tobacco that was introduced to the market after 2007? If so you had better start hoarding. The new regulations would require any cigar or pipe tobacco introduced to market after 2007 to be approved, the same way new blends of cigarettes have to be approved.
To my knowledge since the FDA took over cigarettes no new cigarette has been approved. All are caught up in red tape. BOTL's and SOTL's we are talking over 6 years here and not one new cigarette has been approved.
In the case of cigars this applies to each size of cigar. That means that if cigar X is sold in 5 sizes all 5 sizes have to be individually approved. Even thought each size has the same tobacco in it, just in slightly different proportions.
So if you are completely happy with enjoying only pre 2007 tobacco and never having any new blends to taste, no the new regs will not effect you at all.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

Here are a few threads discussing the effects of the FDA regs:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/467380-Las-Vegas-Pipe-Show!/page8?highlight=FDA+deeming (see my post toward the top of this page)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Blends-Ending-Forever!?highlight=FDA+deeming

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-some-Cigars-is-upon-us?highlight=FDA+deeming

So if you are completely happy with enjoying only pre 2007 tobacco and never having any new blends to taste, no the new regs will not effect you at all.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that will be the case. Manufacturers will likely pass on the huge cost of getting new products approved by raising prices across the board.

I read the Rick Newcombe article, and he certainly seems to believe that this overreach will be nullified either in court or by legislative action. I would like to share his optimism, but I'm afraid I don't have much faith. I'll keep hoarding until I know for sure.

I read the Rick Newcombe article, and he certainly seems to believe that this overreach will be nullified either in court or by legislative action. I would like to share his optimism, but I'm afraid I don't have much faith. I'll keep hoarding until I know for sure.

My limited optimism comes from the relative ease that they should be able to be rolled back. I agree with you 100% on the likelyhood.

I'm a gun guy and we've seen how this game plays out. In 1982 a study was done by the Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution. The study found ample evidence that all gun control that had come in to law at that point violated the constitution. By "ample" I mean they found no evidence at all to support the anti-gun argument. The reponse of the government? They held the report to a very limited printing (it's public info) to bury it, and continued on their merry way. This isn't meant to derail the conversation, but to show an example of how things can work.

I wouldn't get too comfortable. We as smokers aren't a popular crowd. Also keep in mind that the 2007 date can be changed. A group of unelected officials arbitrarily put this in to place without the benefit of a vote of law, they can change it just as easy.

Thanks everyone one, clyde72 and that first post was very helpful, I think what I'd been hearing was a different date and that most would not be affected. Is there a resource on tobacco start dates? I have searched FDA several times but it returns too many to weed through.

Thanks again guys!

Top Bottom