What's new

Forthcoming Changes to FDA Regulations?

I am posting this question with the hope that we can keep off of the election as a whole (though I realize this is a loaded question, so Mods can certainly delete if it derails), but, does anyone have any sense of Trumps position on the FDA regulations? I haven't seen anything one way or the other, but wasn't sure if I may have missed it.

I am posting this question with the hope that we can keep off of the election as a whole (though I realize this is a loaded question, so Mods can certainly delete if it derails), but, does anyone have any sense of Trumps position on the FDA regulations? I haven't seen anything one way or the other, but wasn't sure if I may have missed it.

I'm afraid I haven't seen anything one way or another, but I wouldn't be optimistic. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if so, but keep hoarding in the meantime.

This won't end well.

I'll take that bet, Tony. We're a respectable bunch here in the Leaf. :thumbup1:

Republicans seem to be pro-tobacco and pro-e-cigs. They are close with the cigar lobbyists, and tried pushing some legislation that would help protect cigars.

I have no idea whether they'll actually consider it a top priority though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree it would be a great thing, but I expect that, if he cares much about it at all, it's on page 149 of his list of things to deal with.

Anyone wanna send him a pipe and a tin of good stuff. Maybe get the Big Chief hooked?

I agree it would be a great thing, but I expect that, if he cares much about it at all, it's on page 149 of his list of things to deal with.

Anyone wanna send him a pipe and a tin of good stuff. Maybe get the Big Chief hooked?
[emoji1]

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I had this thought as well. I suspect he will appoint someone to head the FDA that will be in line with his anti-regulatory mindset. And then we'll see. The magic date is really 2018, so there's a lot of time to roll back the regulations if that's what he wants to do. We'll see...

I haven't seen or heard anything directly. The political climate seems receptive to things changing.

My understanding is that President-Elect Trump does not drink or smoke because his brother, Fred Trump, died of alcoholism. However, he seems to dislike regulation that impedes business and the deeming regulations have been decried by many pipe tobacco blenders as well as vapers as destructive to business. Senator Ron Johnson won reelection, and he has been vocal about the deeming issues with respect to vaping. It is possible that legislation introduced by Senator Johnson may also encompass tobacco products to garner support.

There are a few ways the deeming regulations could be changed. The FDA could amend the Final Rule on Deeming to exempt certain products. The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (FSPTCA) seems to only force the FDA to regulate cigarettes and cigarette tobacco, so it seems possible that they could decide to exempt pipe tobacco, cigars, and vaping products. However, this would require notice and comment rulemaking to change and would take some time. The faster route would be for Congress could pass a law that amends or repeals the FSPTCA.

President-Elect Trump's transition website is live. He does have a form on his website at https://apply.ptt.gov/yourstory/ for people to share their ideas. Perhaps if enough people let him know of the jobs that these regulations are destroying, it'll become part of his agenda.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't see how depending on congressional action is the greater way to anything. Trump, simply, could instruct the FDA to refrain from enforcing the regulation while it changes.

I don't think this is directly on his agenda, but its very possible that it is indirectly. He seems to want to eliminate regulations that prevent industries from thriving, so perhaps this could fall under that.

I think that his anti-regulation stance is our best hope. Whomever he selects to head the FDA is also going to be a "uuge" factor. The real question is whether or not this will even "blip" on the radar with all of the more pressing items that are sure to take center stage in the first year.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
WithTheGrain:
I just hope that he won't 'reverse' the gains made in regard to Cuba. :001_rolle

proxy.php
“All Cubans are cigars...but not all cigars are Cubans”. CBJ

I have some hope it'll change the FDA regs. I read a report that he already hired lobbyist Cindy Hayden of tobacco company Altria as part of his transition team. Time will tell for sure, of course, but that seems to speak decently of some odds, mixed with his general anti-regulatory stance on gov interfering with free market.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I agree that this is a loaded question...but it seems that everyone is good on handling loaded questions right now. :001_smile

Looks like it will be a wait and see thing...all that we can do at this point. But things are looking up on several points. We'll just have to see on this particular issue. I have a bit of hope now.

So, my sister and brother in law came to visit this weekend. My brother in law works for a Congressman, and he'll occasionally talk to me about what he knows is going on behind the scenes in the House. He said that we should expect something positive on the tobacco front, in regards to the FDA regulations. There's some technical issues that make things interesting/complicated, but he thinks that they're going to kill it. It's not a matter of if, it's only a matter of when.

So, my sister and brother in law came to visit this weekend. My brother in law works for a Congressman, and he'll occasionally talk to me about what he knows is going on behind the scenes in the House. He said that we should expect something positive on the tobacco front, in regards to the FDA regulations. There's some technical issues that make things interesting/complicated, but he thinks that they're going to kill it. It's not a matter of if, it's only a matter of when.
That's about the most positive thing I've heard on this front.

Cautiously optimistic. :001_smile

That's about the most positive thing I've heard on this front.

Cautiously optimistic. :001_smile

Yeah... just because it's going on the agenda, it doesn't mean that something won't come up to ruin plans. If the Republicans go into an all out war with the Democrats, or if there's a civil war within the Republican Party, things could slow down to a crawl and they won't get around to passing anything.

I just wanted to let you guys know that it's on their radar as something that they need/want to deal with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom