What's new

Floid for Dummies

Can anyone do this for me right quick? I know there are threads & threads of this stuff but what I really want to know is this:

Back in the day, there was
1) Floid
2) Floid Blue

Floid blue is gone - all cool. Don't need thousands of subjective posts on that. The first one is still around though. But there seem to be many incarnations now. Can anyone gimme a Floid for Dummies on what's out there now?

Last edited:
1684885446401.png
1684885378901.png
1684885520296.png
1684885570914.png

So... I am not the biggest expert on this compared to some others around here, and some might quibble with aspects of explanation or chronology, but here is the quick version of Floid for Dummies you asked for:

"Regular" (orange-colored) Floid came out nearly a century ago. At some point there were both Spanish and Italian versions. There was eventually a Blue and also an "Amber" (orange-colored). The regular Floid was available as Suave (less menthol, I think) and Vigoroso (I think those were both Spanish, but it doesn't matter). Blue was eventually discontinued, maybe 8 years ago (?) to much chagrin. There was a Floid Black for a while that may have been a clone of a certain modern/contemporary fragrance. Then a couple of years ago or so "the Genuine" came out. Very recently, apparently, the maker stopped production of ALL lines except the newly released "Original/Genuine." This will be controversial to some, but I have a good nose, and I find that all of the orange-colored Floids, including the new/old "Genuine," are all pretty similar. I have Amber, Suave, Vigoroso, and "the Original/Genuine," and if I smelled any of those blind, I'd recognize the basic Floid orange profile immediately and would be hard-pressed to discern a whole lot of difference. I have used both Spanish and Italian versions. Over the years some had more alcohol than water, and vice-versa. Apparently all the guys on here have cleaned out nearly every online retailed once the news was out that the older versions of orange-colored Floids were no more.

In my opinion, if you are new to Floid and have the current/latest "Original/Genuine," you have them all more or less, except Blue (and except Black, which I never tried, even though I could have, since it seemed like an attempt for the brand to stay relevant, whatever that means.)

Last edited:
So... I am not the biggest expert on this compared to some others around here, and some might quibble with aspects of explanation or chronology, but here is the quick version of Floid for Dummies you asked for:

"Regular" (orange-colored) Floid came out nearly a century ago. At some point there were both Spanish and Italian versions. There was eventually a Blue and also an "Amber" (orange-colored). The regular Floid was available as Suave (less menthol, I think) and Vigoroso (I think those were both Spanish, but it doesn't matter). Blue was eventually discontinued, maybe 8 years ago (?) to much chagrin. There was a Floid Black for a while that may have been a clone of a certain modern/contemporary fragrance. Then a couple of years ago or so "the Genuine" came out. Very recently, apparently, the maker stopped production of ALL lines except the newly released "Original/Genuine." This will be controversial to some, but I have a good nose, and I find that all of the orange-colored Floids, including the new/old "Genuine," are all pretty similar. I have Amber, Suave, Vigoroso, and "the Original/Genuine," and if I smelled any of those blind, I'd recognize the basic Floid orange profile immediately and would be hard-pressed to discern a whole lot of difference. I have used both Spanish and Italian versions. Over the years some had more alcohol than water, and vice-versa. Apparently all the guys on here have cleaned out nearly every online retailed once the news was out that the older versions of orange-colored Floids were no more.

In my opinion, if you are new to Floid and have the current/latest "Original/Genuine," you have them all more or less, except Blue (and except Black, which I never tried, even though I could have, since it seemed like an attempt for the brand to stay relevant, whatever that means.)
giphy.gif

Please excuse my naiveness. Didn't realize you were seeking the history. :001_smile
You did answer his basic question, though, just much more succinctly than I did! The OP's understandable confusion seemed to be stemming from how recent the elimination of the other variants is, since many websites still have them listed, though usually as "sold out," now.

Unfortunately, the Original/Genuine is now the only one available. But as I said, that's fine with me, as the differences between the various orange ones are very minor.

Now if we could only get Pinaud/Clubman, Skin Bracer, and Aqua Velva to return to glass bottles, and Floid to bring back the blue, and Old Spice to bring back their shaving soap, we'd be in pretty good shape overall!

Is that really so much to ask? I'd be willing to spend an extra buck or 2 on clubman or others to get a glass bottle instead of having to save my hot sauce bottles to decant in

Now if we could only get Pinaud/Clubman, Skin Bracer, and Aqua Velva to return to glass bottles, and Floid to bring back the blue, and Old Spice to bring back their shaving soap, we'd be in pretty good shape overall!
I'd love to see the glass bottle return to Skin Bracer. But recently my local grocery, Publix, put Skin Bracer on clearance. It's been replaced with a Gillette aftershave. This may not bode well for the future of Skin Bracer. Hopefully, it's just Publix and no where else.

I still have approximately 1000ml of Vigoroso and about 600ml of the pre-reformulated Genuine so I suspect it will be a long time before I try the new stuff. The downside of insane hoarding.

Perhaps! But sometimes, the older product is better. That was certainly the case with OS in my humble opinion. :popc::popc:

Is that really so much to ask? I'd be willing to spend an extra buck or 2 on clubman or others to get a glass bottle instead of having to save my hot sauce bottles to decant in

Agreed. I've posted this before, but apparently Clubman doesn't visit B&B. 😄😄😄

I would happily pay $5-10 more for glass bottles. They could do a limited run or a "Special" or "Anniversary" edition.

As it is, I just look for vintage bottles. My Old Spice, Skin Bracer, Ice Blue, and Clubman all live in vintage bottles.

The problem is finding the bottles, with Clubman being near impossible to locate, and you are VERY lucky to find one with the cap. Of course there is the occasional "Buy It Now" for 100 bucks.

Agreed that a return to glass bottles would be very welcome. I have a 400ml bottle of Vigoroso that is a little over half full, and this puts a smile on my face everytime I use it.

Speaking of glass bottles, I put my Clubman aftershaves (and Bootleggers) into glass bottles.

6uCXSjT.jpg

HhJh1Yn.jpg

Top Bottom