What's new

Fatip Piccolo Mk1 & Mk2 differences.

Just had my first shave with the MK2 OC piccolo. Absolutely fantastic first up shave, been wet shaving for over 30 years. This little gem is as good as anything I have used. I even used a relatively mild blade (Derby Platinum) as I wanted to be on the safe side. One of the most efficient shaves I've had and it was the first one I had !!
From now on I will use my normal blade rotation - Rapira platinum lux , Personna Israeli reds, Lord super platinum. With either of these blades I would expect a closer shave than with the Derby.
I currently have a merkur progress (usually use on 3.5 - 4 most of time) a Merkur 1904 OC, and a Vikings Blade Crusader. This piccolo appears to be right up there as an efficient razor. Will report back after a shave with one of those preferred blades

Any body still liking the fatip version 2. Is this a milder razor than the version 1?
V2 is much milder but overall better than v1, at least for most users. I like my Fatip Grande v2 a lot.

If you have a heavy beard, you will probably like it because it will shave close and your shave will last all day. If you have a light beard, it may not be the best choice for a daily driver. Still good for every other day, though.

Yea I don't have a thick beard so the v2 is still aggressive to the point not a every day razor? Thanks for your input

Yea I don't have a thick beard so the v2 is still aggressive to the point not a every day razor? Thanks for your input
Not exactly that -- you could use it, you might like it. You could be fine with an R89 or something similar, too.

But the Fatip OC solves a real problem for the guy with the heavy beard. The shadow that shows up too soon.

I'm new to this im sorry lol. I really don't know if I like aggressive or mild. I knew that with the reviews from the first that it was going to be too aggressive. I can get by with a dfs. I wonder about the parker 94r and if this is similar. Or closer to one that getting weepers will happen easily.

I'm new to this im sorry lol. I really don't know if I like aggressive or mild. I knew that with the reviews from the first that it was going to be too aggressive. I can get by with a dfs. I wonder about the parker 94r and if this is similar. Or closer to one that getting weepers will happen easily.
If you want something a little more aggressive than the R89, but maybe not at the R41 level, I've got a couple of suggestions.

First, try a slant. I'd suggest the Razorock German 37, though there are other good ones, that is the most cost-effective. The slant gives a more efficient shave with inexpensive blades like Astra or Personna. You can buy just the head for $13 if you already have a standard handle to put it on.

Second, try the Razorock SLOC or the Yaqi Mellon head (they are very similar). This can be a good daily driver. You can buy just the head from Amazon for $5 if you have a standard handle to put it on.

For less than $20, you will learn a lot.

Yes the sloc is already headed my way for Christmas. I have heard nothing but good reviews for that razor, other than some saying it's mild. I was about to get this as a possible second razor that might be a tad bit more aggressive than the sloc. In case I needed a more aggressive razor than the sloc. The razor I have now is van der Hagen and I don't know if it is the blades which are van der Hagen or the razor but it gives weepers.

Yes the sloc is already headed my way for Christmas. I have heard nothing but good reviews for that razor, other than some saying it's mild. I was about to get this as a possible second razor that might be a tad bit more aggressive than the sloc. In case I needed a more aggressive razor than the sloc. The razor I have now is van der Hagen and I don't know if it is the blades which are van der Hagen or the razor but it gives weepers.
The blades are not very good, to be honest, I would toss them out. If you haven't tried a blade sampler pack, that is a good way to go. VDH razor is not bad, but very mild. You will probably like the SLOC. It is about as aggressive as an R89. Best blades for the SLOC tend to be on the sharper side. For example, Nacet, 7 O'clock Yellow, GSB. Possibly Feather, if you like them.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Any body still liking the fatip version 2. Is this a milder razor than the version 1?
The Mk2 is the best move Fatip ever made. I'd say it is smoother rather than milder. The extra mm of the cap holds the blade more rigidly. That's why it is smoother yet as efficient. I easily get a one pass wtg dfs shave everytime.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Definitely less blade. The FaTip MK2 are among my favorite razors.

The FaTip Piccolo SE is a MK2 razor that give you both OC and SB plates. The SB plate is fairly mild but still capable os DFS/BBS performance on a daily basis.

With the Piccolo SE, you get both. :)

The SLOC is also a great razor. I use mine with Personna and Kai blades.

Hope this helps. :)

do we have someone here with gillette old types?
how does this new fatip compare to old types?
mostly interested about efficient, cause rly like old types are very effective ones.
how is blade exposure in new fatip? negativ, neutral, positive?

Akke

do we have someone here with gillette old types?
how does this new fatip compare to old types?
mostly interested about efficient, cause rly like old types are very effective ones.
how is blade exposure in new fatip? negativ, neutral, positive?

Akke
The "new" Fatip is more than 5 years in production already. The Piccolo/Grande head has positive exposure I believe more than Old Types but not a lot. The Mk1 had significantly more because of the large cap span.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
If you are referring to the Old Type, the Razorock and Merkur versions are considerably milder .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
yea i really like the effectiveness of old types. i seen, muhle 89 is too much, cant use huge blade gap and blade exposure.
gillette techs are fine, but still old type is much more effective.

Edit: now did see that picture from you, that answears more than thousand words, thnx :)

Last edited:
On the Piccolo I had, when I put the blade in it would be much more exposure on one side than the other. Useless to me.
I found that if I put the blade in the pins, place the base and squeeze them together, then screw on the handle, the blade stays perfectly aligned. (I have the old version, purchased before 2012).

Top Bottom