What's new

Fatip Piccolo Mk1 & Mk2 differences.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
All said I love the new Fatip's after they retooled and the Mk2 especially. I have no problems with alignment other than I check and simply reload if it is off (not very often). There seems to have been problems with the old Mk1 where the posts didn't align not so with the Mk2 I have found. Aside from that a simple aligning a blade is no issue for me. I also check my Merkur 34c and Muhle r89. Sometimes they can load a little off. I think that is due to the play in the blade and not necessarily the post being off. Complaining about aligning a blade I think is making a mountain out of a mole hill (imo) unless it simply won't align. The new Fatip's load spot on for me the majority of the time same as my Muhle r89 with even blade exposure on both sides of the cap.

Last edited:
Ha ha - now I'm wondering if the Roedter caps are an intermediate design, narrower like the old FaTip caps but also shallower like the newer ones...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Ha ha - now I'm wondering if the Roedter caps are an intermediate design, narrower like the old FaTip caps but also shallower like the newer ones...
Funny! I do have a new Joris. The Fatip head on it is quite a bit different than the new Mk2 head. I think Plisson uses the old style head, not sure, I've also heard that Plisson refines the head further. It's a noticeably more aggressive than Fatip's as well

Funny! I do have a new Joris. The Fatip head on it is quite a bit different than the new Mk2 head. I think Plisson uses the old style head, not sure, I've also heard that Plisson refines the head further. It's a noticeably more aggressive than Fatip's as well
It's very interesting to discover that there are so many different top caps for this razor.
And how has this happened?

So here's the figures for the Roedter 1909 caps:
IMG_6917.JPG

All the caps have the flatter height of the newer FaTip caps @ 2.1mm

The Roedter v1 Chrome cap is 17.2mm wide at one end and 18mm wide at the other end.

The Roedter v1 Titanium cap is 18mm wide at both ends.

The Roedter v2 Gold cap is 18.2mm wide at one end and 18.6mm wide at the other.

It would be a good guess that these caps are the product of some very slack manufacturing tolerances.

And it's a happy accident because with a light touch those Roedters are quite amazing, albeit quite shocking, shavers!

It would be really interesting to know the cap measurements from other members' FaTips, Joris and Roedters...

Last edited:
Sheesh Marcus, I wish you'd stop pushing my Fatip button. :a31:
SoRry... it's a habit like capitalising "NEW" for the Gillette and "GEM" for the SE :001_smile
Or spelling iKon "Ikon"...

I'm wondering now whether those Roedters were experiments or prototypes leading up to the v2 FaTip cap, like the missing link...

It sounds like I might be able to grind down (narrow) one side of my Mk2 cap to create a shave equivalent to the gold Roedter 1909. That version of the Roedter really intrigues me, and I can only find one vendor, in Japan, who carries it--and he isn't interested in shipping out of country.

I should have put might in italics; as is it implies that I'm reasonably handy, which I'm not. (So it would really be an experiment.)
So here's the figures for the Roedter 1909 caps:View attachment 764340

The Roedter v1 Chrome cap is 17.2mm wide at one end and 18mm wide at the other end.

It would be a good guess that these caps are the product of some very slack manufacturing tolerances.

And it's a happy accident because with a light touch those Roedters are quite amazing, albeit quite shocking, shavers!

It would be really interesting to know the cap measurements from other members' FaTips, Joris and Roedters...

So here's the figures for the Roedter 1909 caps:

My FaTip (nickel plate) cap is 19.34mm wide at both ends (supposedly V2 because of stamp on underside of base plate)
Maximum thickness of top cap appears to be 1.95-7mm
Height of top cap from top of cap to edge of cap is 4.12-3 mm
Height of comb is 6.42mm
thickness of comb at center is 2.65mm

It sounds like I might be able to grind down (narrow) one side of my Mk2 cap to create a shave equivalent to the gold Roedter 1909. That version of the Roedter really intrigues me, and I can only find one vendor, in Japan, who carries it--and he isn't interested in shipping out of country.

I should have put might in italics; as is it implies that I'm reasonably handy, which I'm not. (So it would really be an experiment.)
That is a great idea! I ground down the sides of my 2013 R41 cap to 18.6mm (same as the 2011) using a synthetic slipstone and it worked very well.
The only issue was that the cap was still thicker than the 2011 version but it was a great shave (a lot like the 3D printed Hurricane cap for the R41).

The issue is whether the ground FaTip cap will be the same height as the Roedter cap (2.1mm from edge to apex) since this greatly influences the shave.
The Gold version does seem to be in stock (but moved!) at Scharferladen again too:
Suchergebnisse

My FaTip (nickel plate) cap is 19.34mm wide at both ends (supposedly V2 because of stamp on underside of base plate)
Maximum thickness of top cap appears to be 1.95-7mm
Height of top cap from top of cap to edge of cap is 4.12-3 mm
Height of comb is 6.42mm
thickness of comb at center is 2.65mm
That is useful to know and reveals how much smaller the Roedter cap is.
Wonder how this compares to other people's razors - it will really reveal the variability of these razors!

Are the heads the same in the entire OC line regardless of Piccolo, Grande, or Retro? I know the handles are all different, but from all the pics I've seen, the heads all look the same.

Are the heads the same in the entire OC line regardless of Piccolo, Grande, or Retro? I know the handles are all different, but from all the pics I've seen, the heads all look the same.
1) The selection of handle has never made a difference in the OC line--regardless of handle all OC heads were supposed to be the same.
2) A while back, the Mk1 version of the head, by general accounts, could vary considerably, but that was a matter of loose quality control.
3) By all accounts that I've read, the current version of the head (Mk2) seems to be very consistent, and is consistently milder than the older version (normally) was.

That is a great idea! I ground down the sides of my 2013 R41 cap to 18.6mm (same as the 2011) using a synthetic slipstone and it worked very well.
The only issue was that the cap was still thicker than the 2011 version but it was a great shave (a lot like the 3D printed Hurricane cap for the R41).

The issue is whether the ground FaTip cap will be the same height as the Roedter cap (2.1mm from edge to apex) since this greatly influences the shave.
The Gold version does seem to be in stock (but moved!) at Scharferladen again too:
Suchergebnisse

Thanks very much--do to this info, and your reference, I decided to order the gold Roedter.

Let me do post #56 above over again:

Thanks for your info, and for the link. I decided to order the gold Roedter instead of modifying the Mk1 cap.

Suchergebnisse

Just bought myself a second Piccolo, because I wanted Mk1 and Mk2.
I have owned the first one for a few years and it has an 18mm wide top plate (Mk1).
My new one turned up today and it has a 19mm plate (Mk2).
The thing is.............they both have the stamps on the bottom plate.
Perhaps my first one was manufactured in the change over period?
I have had to put a different handle on my old Piccolo so that I can tell them apart.
The handle I found is solid brass, a bit heavier than the original handle, but I think it looks OK!
Haven't shaved with the Mk2 yet.
Mk1 on the left:
piccolonew.jpg

The thing is.............they both have the stamps on the bottom plate.
Perhaps my first one was manufactured in the change over period?View attachment 786945
It's more likely that you have a "very" early Mk1 Cornishman. Check out this post from earlier in the thread and the link in that. :wink2:

Also, the baseplates' thickness etc should be different (as per the pics in the OP).

The OP pics disappeared after the changeover. Here's copy of the OP again (with, I hope, the right pics) from Jun 13, 2016.

My new present to me — a Mk2 Piccolo (Yay!) — arrived today.

I took a few measurements to satisfy my curiosity and thought I’'d share them for the benefit of any other detail freaks who may be interested. The most obvious differences are the cap depth (+ 1mm) and the Fatip logo (stamped on the underside of the baseplate).

All pictures are smartphone quality, sorry. All weights are grams and all dimensions are millimeters. In general Mk1 is shown on the left and Mk2 on the right.

Notwithstanding the photo quality, there’s a fair bit of difference to be seen:

upload_2017-5-5_16-48-54.png

upload_2017-5-5_16-49-32.png

PARTWeightØWidthDepthHeight
Handle41.442.210107575
Baseplate15.316.542.14224.224.46.26.4
Cap14.214.340.940.818194.24
Cap Pins4.64.8
Complete Unit70.873.142.14224.224.480.579.9

The cap height doesn'’t include the bolt or the locating pins.

Two of my favorite things are the slim teeth, and the good sized gaps (width and depth) for draining the cut beard hair and lather:

upload_2017-5-5_16-50-41.png

I’'m really looking forward to my first shave with the Mk2 tomorrow. :biggrin1:

NB
The Baseplate and Cap information will apply to all Fatip open comb razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom