What's new

Fatip Piccolo Mk1 & Mk2 differences.

Great info, thanks for the measurements. I do like my old FaTip much better with another, wider top cap (or "depth" in your table -- I probably would have used length and width).
Thank you for the thank you and the feedback Doug. :thumbup1:

I didn't even know there were different models. Is it possible the differences are just variations in production runs and quality control?

Using this extremely accurate measuring device (aka ruler), I determined that my cap isn't 19mm wide.

View attachment 665853
One can only wonder at Fatip's quaint modus operandi.

I would suspect that when they moved over to Mk2/New/Whatever-you-want-to-call-it production, that they probably had a truckload of the original 18mm caps which accidentally got mixed in with the new 19mm stock. Unlike the marked baseplates, it's difficult to tell the difference between the caps visually.
So, I'm suggesting (obviously I don't actually know) that you have a "rogue" Mk2 Edgar. :w00t:

One can only wonder at Fatip's quaint modus operandi.

I would suspect that when they moved over to Mk2/New/Whatever-you-want-to-call-it production, that they probably had a truckload of the original 18mm caps which accidentally got mixed in with the new 19mm stock. Unlike the marked baseplates, it's difficult to tell the difference between the caps visually.
So, I'm suggesting (obviously I don't actually know) that you have a "rogue" Mk2 Edgar. :w00t:

That makes sense, Cal.

Since quality control seems to be Fatips problem, I believe as Edgar said, you could pick up any 2 razors and they would probably measure different. I had 3 of them, the Piccolo, a Grande in nickel and a Grande in gold. The blade alignment in the Piccolo was so far off I ended up giving it away. The nickel Grande was slightly off but the gold Grande is perfect every time.
The quaint alignment in my Mk1 Piccolo has never bothered me. I love that razor. :001_wub:

When installing a new blade you can get just about any alignment from perfect to this:

$Piccolo-Alignment.jpg

Personally I don't bother messing to get it perfectly aligned, I just go with whatever it decides. I think my respect for this razor and its idiosyncracies have helped, and are helping, me to improve my technique.

With the razor assembled, measure from the top of the baseplate to the top of the cap, the new one is "thinner" much like when I put an OLD cap on mine.
$P+Ptops.jpg

Approximate measurements:
Mk1: 3.1mm — Mk2: 2.3mm

so the old ones had no logo stamp on the base plate? I bought mine used without a box and I had know idea there was that much difference in the new model. I'll have to look to see what I've got.

Bear in mind that, till today, the only razor I've shaved with since Christmas Eve 2015 has been my beloved Mk1 Piccolo.

I must admit the Mk2 definitely has a better "feel" to it. Not by a huge percentage, but it's there. It feels like a more precise instrument, and of course that can only be good. The shave result was exactly the same as I would have expected from my Mk1, i.e. excellent.
$Fatip-Piccolo+Box_G&C.jpg
NB
In one of my "past lives" as I call them, I was a Land Surveyor familiar with using many high accuracy instruments. I always found it easy to "feel" if an instrument was of high quality, average, or not so good. So, top score from me to the Mk2 Piccolo... mind you, I have a Piccolo love thing which may well distort my observations some.

I ain't got no time fuh dat!!!

Thank you, does that make it more aggressive? Different angle of approach?
My apologies Toby. I was so busy laughing at the top line that I didn't even notice the questions at the bottom.

Q: Does that make it more aggressive?
A: No.

Q: Different angle of approach?
A: No was my first answer, but on further thought there may have been slight differences. If there were, they were all intuitive, so I didn't consciously notice.

My apologies Toby. I was so busy laughing at the top line that I didn't even notice the questions at the bottom.

Q: Does that make it more aggressive?
A: No.

Q: Different angle of approach?
A: No was my first answer, but on further thought there may have been slight differences. If there were, they were all intuitive, so I didn't consciously notice.

Thank you sir!

I would like to hear my top line with a cockney accent! :laugh:

I have three "Roedter 1909"s which are basically FaTips with excessively defective caps.
The chrome and Titanium finish versions are <18mm wide and shallower than the standard caps making a shockingly aggressive razor which easily outdoes the 2011 R41 in blade feel.
But the gold finish version has a wider cap (Roedter v2) nearer the standard FaTip but still very shallow so still fiercely aggressive.

I guess this suggests that actually FaTip top caps are very variable, and the two versions of the Roedter represent the extreme case.

Like the early GEMs and first Gillettes, the shave could very well be different from each individual razor!

Top Bottom