What's new

Face Scrubbing with Synthetic Brush?!? Works! No more clogged pores!

I picked up this weird tip from OhioShaves on YT. He said he has been washing his face with his shaving brush and it has made his face softer and smoother. So I gave it a go, washing my face at night with a Yaqi 24 synthetic brush and a extremely mild Japanese bar soap from Muji. After a few days, the clogged pores on my nose and surrounding areas have gotten noticeably smaller.

This is a weird hack, but for me it works very well. Clogged pores have been an issue for me for decades, even with salicylic acid scrubs. It is wild to me that it is so effective.

How small can my pores go?!?

I picked up this weird tip from OhioShaves on YT. He said he has been washing his face with his shaving brush and it has made his face softer and smoother. So I gave it a go, washing my face at night with a Yaqi 24 synthetic brush and a extremely mild Japanese bar soap from Muji. After a few days, the clogged pores on my nose and surrounding areas have gotten noticeably smaller.

This is a weird hack, but for me it works very well. Clogged pores have been an issue for me for decades, even with salicylic acid scrubs. It is wild to me that it is so effective.

How small can my pores go?!?
An interesting technique! I have very oily skin, and will give this a try using one of my Noble Otter brushes.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have used a shave bush (Yaqi 24mm Cashmere synthetic shave brush) with CeraVe hand bar cleanser for last 5 years daily to exfoliate my face for pre shave.
I originally did not think about using CeraVe bar cleanser for a pre shave but mainly for my smoke induced & allergy's prone irritation to my eyes because eye drops did not do help at all and are expensive.
What I did find was it cleaned my face well and my eyes were better for it also with drastic less acidic eyes(dry eyes) from air born pollutants in the area where I live in Northern Alberta Canada where forest fires seems the norm lately.
CeraVe hand cleanser bar is easier on the eyes also because it is closer to 7 which is neutral on the PH scale but is slightly on the acidic side compared to most soaps that are Alkaline and are hard on my eyes if regular hand bar soap suds get in the eyes(very stinging sensation for myself and others)! CeraVe hand bar cleanser is used by millions of women also around the world for cleaning eye make-up around their eyes for decades(it works well for them so it should work for myself was thinking also!) Most Skin is slightly acidic has been my findings from my limited research.
Also my shaves are much better because CeraVe hand bar cleanser cleans dirt and oils off the skin and helps moisten & softens the whiskers for the razor blade edge to shear them easier IMO.
A bar of CeraVe lasts about 8 months using a shave brush with a 5-10 second load with a damp brush that has been squeezed has been my findings also. The CeraVe hand bar cleanser is only used on my face. I have shaved with the CeraVe hand bar cleanser as a test years ago and it works if in a pinch when you forgot your shave soap.
Z-Pre shave products (4).jpg
CeraVe Moisturizer, CeraVe Soap, Alum-2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I have used a shave bush (Yaqi 24mm Cashmere synthetic shave brush) with CeraVe hand bar cleanser for last 5 years daily to exfoliate my face for pre shave.
I originally did not think about using CeraVe bar cleanser for a pre shave but mainly for my smoke induced & allergy's prone irritation to my eyes because eye drops did not do help at all and are expensive.
What I did find was it cleaned my face well and my eyes were better for it also with drastic less acidic eyes(dry eyes) from air born pollutants in the area where I live in Northern Alberta Canada where forest fires seems the norm lately.
CeraVe hand cleanser bar is easier on the eyes also because it is closer to 7 which is neutral on the PH scale but is slightly on the acidic side compared to most soaps that are Alkaline and are hard on my eyes if regular hand bar soap suds get in the eyes(very stinging sensation for myself and others)! CeraVe hand bar cleanser is used by millions of women also around the world for cleaning eye make-up around their eyes for decades(it works well for them so it should work for myself was thinking also!) Most Skin is slightly acidic has been my findings from my limited research.
Also my shaves are much better because CeraVe hand bar cleanser cleans dirt and oils off the skin and helps moisten & softens the whiskers for the razor blade edge to shear them easier IMO.
A bar of CeraVe lasts about 8 months using a shave brush with a 5-10 second load with a damp brush that has been squeezed has been my findings also. The CeraVe hand bar cleanser is only used on my face. I have shaved with the CeraVe hand bar cleanser as a test years ago and it works if in a pinch when you forgot your shave soap.
View attachment 1816365 View attachment 1816378
Have some great shaves!
Lots of really useful and interesting info as always! I’ve used that CeraVe bar before as well, but never would have realized it’s closer to normal skin ph than standard soaps.

I have found that since I started shaving with a DE and face lathering with a badger brush, my complexion has greatly improved. Less blemishes and greatly reduced ingrown hairs.

I use a salicylic acid face cleanser in the morning, moisturizer with SPF, and a salicylic deep cleaning astringent before bed.

When I had a bad breakout, a dermatologist suggested shaving for a while with Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel.

FWIW.

Top Bottom