What's new

EIGHTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2017 Edition

I just got three packs of old Wilkinson swords, but I'm tempted to try my two least favourite blade - Personna Israeli or Derby.

I'm in... Used a GSB last year all month for face shaves. Not sure if it can handle face and head shaves for 28 days. I only used Polsilver SI, face and head shaves, for 29 days once.

I have some old Wilkinson sword, Albertsons super chromium, Vintage Voskhod.

I just happened to have a Red Personna Platinum that I got in a couple weeks ago with several other blades I've never used from try-a-blade that I will be giving a go with...

Question... @goby

I know its a single blade challenge, but do I have to use only 1 razor or can I switch razors every couple days and just use the same blade between them? I didn't see anything like that in the rules, that according to Rule #4 - There are no rules!!

I shall start with a 37C / Personna Red Platinum / 3017'd Club Willy...

There are no rules!! I think most people use multiple razors.

I think I will join the fun again this year. I will be done with my present run on the Black Indian 7 o'clock in two weeks so will be starting up on a new blade by the 28th of January.

This year I might try a Shark in my Aristocrats... or maybe use one of my odd razors... I have to make up a plan for this!

$CJB and Rocnel.jpg
My odd razors :001_smile

Last edited:
I think I will join the fun again this year. I will be done with my present run on the Black Indian 7 o'clock in two weeks so will be starting up on a new blade by the 28th of January.

This year I might try a Shark in my Aristocrats... or maybe use one of my odd razors... I have to make up a plan for this!

View attachment 716135

If you go for the Rocnel P, I might be tempted into joining you.

If I don't do that, right now I am thinking I might do a Gillette 7O'Clock SS (Russian Green) or perhaps a Treet SE and have a GEM month. I guess I could do the 7O'Clock in the Rocnel...

There are just so many fun options.

Using a Derby or Dorco will be a test of your technique, and in fact can be a great learning tool.

If I can get back to taking a shower before shaving I'm sure I can get any blade I have through a month except possibly a Derby -- only managed six shaves on the one I tried. My current "challange" is managing a broken ankle, so no showers for a while, can't get into the tub. Hopefully will be able to stand on it by Feb, else I'll have to use the shower chair in Mom's bathroom!

Peter

View attachment 716135
Good idea. I might try the same with my Greager, which has been criminally under-used.

Wow. OK, I've been sort of arbitrarily changing blades after 7 shaves since I started this whole wet-shaving obsess . . . Er, I mean hobby . . . six months ago - though in early experiments I got easily into the teens with my usual blade.

So it's gotta be my satin Mongoose B3 cuz it's my only safety razor. My experience is that KAI Captain Titan Milds last me the longest, so that'll be it. I disassemble, rinse and hand-strop after every shave. . . . Will be fun to see how this works out for everybody.

Hi,

In the FWIW dept, I have run both Med Preps and Lab Blues in my Fasan DoubleSlant and they went 12-14 days. But, that being a Slant and a Double to boot, maybe blades just last longer. Hence, my using NEWs (SC and LC) this year. Those are far more common than Fasans are (although the PAA Bakelite Slant is a copy of a Fasan so that might change). I expect either the same 12-14 days if the slant part has little to no effect, or a shorter period if it does.

I used to change blades on Monday and Thursday before my first OBIF run. Now I change on Monday just because that is easier to remember than trying to count out 12 days. ;)

Anyway, February is always fun here. Two years ago I took up the Personna 74 offer and ran it all month. Actually, two days into March just to clock up an even 30 shaves on the P74. Last year, I ran the same blade another 15 days before I noticed it beginning to fall off. So 45 days total in the Fasan. Impressive, especially compared to my Mortal Personnas.... :)

Stan

Edit: BTW, that P74 offer is from [MENTION=22264]goby[/MENTION] and is within the very first post for this year as well. I highly recommend going for it for some extra fun with this! :)

Last edited:
As usual I'll be giving away two P74 blades for those who want to try this amazing blade. The cost is $10.00 per blade, with the $10.00 going to the Sue Moore Cancer Fund. You'll make the donation directly and get the tax deduction. If you're interested, please PM me. First two pms get the blades. US only, please.

BTW, here's the link: https://fundraise.nbcf.org/fundraise?fcid=203720

Using a Derby or Dorco will be a test of your technique, and in fact can be a great learning tool.

If I can get back to taking a shower before shaving I'm sure I can get any blade I have through a month except possibly a Derby -- only managed six shaves on the one I tried. My current "challange" is managing a broken ankle, so no showers for a while, can't get into the tub. Hopefully will be able to stand on it by Feb, else I'll have to use the shower chair in Mom's bathroom!

Peter
Good luck on your recovery!

I have some new blade samples to try anyway so why not here? I might just pick a soap+razor+blade+brush combo for the month. If my ADD doesn't kick in too hard...

I am in. As a straight razor shaver I think I can squeeze in a full month of de-shaving. I'll be using green gillette 7 o'clock permasharp stainless and Gillette rocket hd or if that gets too boring ill switch to other razors.

I'm in!

I want to 3017 my tub of Omega Cream in the tub, do I'm gonna do one razor, one blade, one soap/cream.

I just did a test....the omega cream and the 20th shave on my blade. And I had a pretty good shave. Caught an ingrown hair though. That sucked!

"Never trade what you want most, for what you want in the moment."

Sent from the GnomePhone

I'm gonna jump in this year. I think I'll go for the long shot and use a "Van Der Hagen" blade. I picked up a five pack on a whim at Walmart; and I'll be down to about one left by February 1st. Razor will be a 60's flair tip.

I'm in. Will be using a Wilkinson Sword that I've estimated to be from the late 70's. bought the 5 pack NOS from an antique store for $3.

I have given it some thought, I am definitely going to use the Gillette 7O'Clock Super Stainless (Russian Green).
I'm thinking about using the same blade. I have a lot of faith in those blades. I thought about using another blade, but I'm gonna use one cream as well that I have not used a lot of yet. This way I can blame the soap not the blade for any mishaps [emoji12]

"Never trade what you want most, for what you want in the moment."

Sent from the GnomePhone

Top Bottom