What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89 still the best!

First shave today with my new EJ 89L. Ignored the free Deby blades that came with it and loaded it with a Swedish G, but used the free sample of EJ Sea Buckthorn cream.

Wow!! Really fantastic DFS with 2 passes. No nicks or razor burn. The razor seems to be half way between my Fat Handled Tech and Merkur HD. Whatever it is, it is just the right aggressiveness for me.

I was also impressed with the EJ cream. No effort to lather up and nice and creamy and slick. Anyone else used this cream. Anyone know what the EJ soap is like?

I have and use the the EJ Sandalwood and Sea Buckthorn. Both are excellent creams, as good as anything else available. Nice complement to the razor.
larry

It's $40 plus shipping for the handle, the EJ head not part of the price nor does Bob sell the heads. If you do plan to order one, remember to tell Bob that you plan to use it with the newer EJ head so he can make the required changes to the thread inside the handle. By default all Stubby and regular Bull Mastiff handles are made to fit the regular Merkur heads. I think he alters it a bit so it now fits the Merkurs and newer EJ's. Definitely get one, well worth the money.

Who is Bob? Is he a member of this site? How do I get in contact with him?

I thought my HD would retire my SS, but I find myself using the SS more than the HD. Me thinks it's time I gave into the RAD and tried another razor and the DE89 is high on my "try" list. Are the model #'s we're talking in this thread the following:
DE86 - ebony handle
DE87 - ivory
DE89 - chrome
DE89L - lined chrome

Is there a difference in the weight or length or grip between these models or is it just color?

The weight & length are the same the difference is the handle color. I have the DE86 Ebony Handle and the handle is smooth and it has never slipped from my fingers.

DE86 - ebony handle http://www.fendrihan.com/edwin-jagger-classic-razor-ebony-p-419.html
DE87 - ivory http://www.fendrihan.com/edwin-jagger-classic-razor-ivory-p-418.html
DE89 - chrome http://www.fendrihan.com/edwin-jagger-classic-razor-with-chrome-plating-p-626.html
DE89L - lined chrome http://www.fendrihan.com/edwin-jagger-classic-razor-with-lined-chrome-plating-p-417.html

got a D89 in lined chrome for Christmas and had my first shave with it this morning. dammmnn this razor rocks. The plating is beautiful and the fit and finish is really first class.

as many have said, the handle is lighter than the razor head but i didn't find this to be an annoyance. the lined chrome gave decent grip, even when my hands were a bit soapy.

the shave itself was EPIC. a brand new astra platinum and my new TOBS jeremyn street sensitive shaving cream were a great combination.

i have a lovely EJ chattsworth (merkur head) that my folks gave me a year or two ago and frankly, the DE89 gave a better shave. in fact, it was better than any of my modern razors. i am now, after one shave, considering buying a second DE89 as a backup...just in case.

what amazes me most is the price. this razor can be had for around $32, which given the quality of the worksmanship and plating is a screamin' value.

if i'm not in love, then i'm at least severely smitten. the D89 is a keeper.

i am now, after one shave, considering buying a second DE89 as a backup...just in case.

I was so impressed after two shaves with my 89L, that I sold my trusty Merkur 34c and 38c and bought a second 89L to keep as backup. I've had no desire to try any other razors since then.

I just got my DE89 in the mail today and it looks sweet! I guess I didn't really know the difference between the DE89 and DE89L (I didn't think there was a difference) so I got a DE89. Looks really nice! Can't wait to try it. Hopefully I can get a good grip on it.

I was kind of curious. Does the blade change mechanism (removing the whole handle) ever get annoying? Is there a good way to change the blade? My 38C's top just popped off and it was really easy. This razor turns into 3 pieces.

I guess I didn't really know the difference between the DE89 and DE89L (I didn't think there was a difference) so I got a DE89. Looks really nice!

The DE89, and DE89L are very similiar. The only difference is that the handle of the the DE89L has fine lines running top to bottom down the length of the handle, while the DE89 is fully smooth. The DE89L would seem to be a little easier to hold with wet hands, but that is a non-factor for me, as my hands are not wet when I shave anyway. :thumbup1:

The DE89, and DE89L are very similiar. The only difference is that the handle of the the DE89L has fine lines running top to bottom down the length of the handle, while the DE89 is fully smooth. The DE89L would seem to be a little easier to hold with wet hands, but that is a non-factor for me, as my hands are not wet when I shave anyway. :thumbup1:

Yeah for some reason I didn't find this thread before I ordered my DR89 or else I probably would have ordered the L. Oh well!

I am actually the same regarding my shaving style. My hands are pretty dry when I shave. I'll report tomorrow night after my first shave :w00t:

Huh. Of course, after sticking one of Bob's handles on the razor head, you would have an extra handle laying around. I wonder if the Edwin Jagger travel toothbrush head would fit on the old handle. :ihih:

Just ordered the 89L, mostly based on what I read in this post. That makes two razors, two brushes, and a couple of years worth of soaps and creams in the last day. It's funny to think that when I first began this hobby, the biggest selling point was the cost savings versus buying replacement blades for my Gillette Fusion. Guess I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Ha ha.

Just ordered the 89L, mostly based on what I read in this post. That makes two razors, two brushes, and a couple of years worth of soaps and creams in the last day. It's funny to think that when I first began this hobby, the biggest selling point was the cost savings versus buying replacement blades for my Gillette Fusion. Guess I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Ha ha.

don't beat yourself up too much :laugh:

we ALL thought we'd save money at some point or another. you begin with the "holy cow, i can get 100 red IP's for $10...that's less than a 4 pack of fusion blades! i'm gonna save a TON of money" and then somewhere along the line, as you're deciding which one of your 17 soaps and creams you'd like to use that morning you find yourself thinking..." that rooney heritage brush would really take my shave up a notch, and besides...i saved a few bucks on blades so it's okay that i spend $300 on a brush. it'll all work out in the end".

of course, it never does and before you know it...boom, you're a collector, an aficionado and to anyone else, a nutcase.

Top Bottom