What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89 still the best!

proxy.php

That is a beautiful, i mean beautiful handle!

Pretty. Could you please tell us how much this handle were?

It's $40 plus shipping for the handle, the EJ head not part of the price nor does Bob sell the heads. If you do plan to order one, remember to tell Bob that you plan to use it with the newer EJ head so he can make the required changes to the thread inside the handle. By default all Stubby and regular Bull Mastiff handles are made to fit the regular Merkur heads. I think he alters it a bit so it now fits the Merkurs and newer EJ's. Definitely get one, well worth the money.

I did not realize this thread has come back to life. I have only been using my DE89 with a custom handle from Elite, Feather blades. I get an effortless BBS every day. I have not had a nick or cut since maybe the first week with a new razor. All razors should be this good!

Larry

I did not realize this thread has come back to life. I have only been using my DE89 with a custom handle from Elite, Feather blades. I get an effortless BBS every day. I have not had a nick or cut since maybe the first week with a new razor. All razors should be this good!
Larry

Agreed! Whether you prefer the EJ or the Mühle version; they are the new standard to measure all others I think! :thumbup1:

I see the difference that you are referring to in the baseplate. I have read the newest Edwin Jagger/Muhle head replaced a somewhat earlier Edwin Jagger/Muhle design, but I don't know what the differences were. Perhaps some kind soul with that knowledge will step in. Did see some photos on the forum at some point about these differences. Maybe a search?

Found a picture like the second one you listed. Wish I knew how to put a link in the text, but I don't! So it is a post by Siv dated 01-03-2009 titled Parker 91R vs Edwin Jagger vs Muhle. Not sure that is going to help, but at least I found a picture. Would like to know why the difference myself.

The photos in the links Cronus provided clearly show the differences. I bought my DE89L when it first came out, when the razor was not even sold in the USA yet. My razor has the recessed baseplate. It looks like the newer one doesn't have the recessed baseplate. Not sure what the reason for the change was, but my guess is the non-recessed version will be less likely to gunk up with cream residue. Plus, the lines look a little cleaner to the eye.

I recently purchased a EJ 89DE from BST (thanks again SirArthur) and it gives a great shave every time. I noticed that the head on the DE89 is different than the DE89L razor...is this correct? Please see the 2 links below to compare. The 1st link is the one I purchased and the second is of a DE89L that just came up for sale today. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=121208

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123503

See this post and the surrounding thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1581222&postcount=14

I don't think that pic is going to help you because it doesn't address the recent change in the design Cronus pointed out. Again, carefully look at the links he posted. The difference is pretty clear.

Found a picture like the second one you listed. Wish I knew how to put a link in the text, but I don't! So it is a post by Siv dated 01-03-2009 titled Parker 91R vs Edwin Jagger vs Muhle. Not sure that is going to help, but at least I found a picture. Would like to know why the difference myself.

Cronus, it would appear that EJ may have made a slight switch in the design of the baseplate between the time yours was made and the DE89L you linked was made. I was not even aware of the change until you posted. I bought my DE89L when it first came out and it looks exactly like the one you linked - it has the recessed baseplate design.

I recently purchased a EJ 89DE from BST (thanks again SirArthur) and it gives a great shave every time. I noticed that the head on the DE89 is different than the DE89L razor...is this correct? Please see the 2 links below to compare. The 1st link is the one I purchased and the second is of a DE89L that just came up for sale today. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=121208

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123503

Thanks again to everyone who posted...I really like the DE89 I purchased but have noticed that it does get clumped up a little with shave cream. I will most likely keep the DE89 and look for a DE89L with the newer head. Then I can compare the two and have a back up to boot. Cheers and Happy Holidays to all.

Just had delivery of my new 89L from The English Shaving Company and it has the newer? non-recessed baseplate. Never seen a razor so shiny and a nice solid feel to it. Although a Christmas present from my wife, I'll sneak in a first shave tomorrow morning before she wraps it up!!

Any RAD afflicted gents out there who have both the Muhle R89 and the EJ DE89L that can post a comparison?

I have both.

Briefly (sorry, Christmas rush time at work!) I prefer the 89L handle as it is a little longer and heavier. I've used the Muhle head (precisely the same as the EJ) with the handle of an old Parker 71R, and that is ideal, although visually inferior. In the new year I might get Bob to make me a custom handle for it.

I agree the new heads shave extremely well; they are a little milder than the Merkur ones; however I still think my 23C does a very good job in the 'budget' range.

Season's Greetings to All!

Top Bottom