What's new

EDC Flashlight advice.

I use a FourSevens Preon P1 with a Li-Ion 10440. It's not factory recommended but the higher voltage (and rechargeable) puts out some nice light.

You did not mention what your price range is, but if you want an extremely durable light I would recommend the Surefire Titan. Not the latest and greatest emitter technology but you could drag it behind your car and it would still work. It does require a 123 battery which may not be something you like. If you are looking for a AAA light you could also look at the Peak Eiger line of lights. Good solid company and very durable lights that you can order with different end caps to fit you needs. Have and love both of the lights.

Fenix LD01 here. Runs off a single AAA battery, and is just smaller in diameter and about 1/2" longer than a chapstick tube! I have mine on me at all times, and its very handy. Got it earlier this winter, and so far have not replaced the battery yet, I have an energizer advanced lithium in there. I use it a lot at work, at home, and on the go. Well worth the $30 shipped I paid.

I second the LD01 i just got mine I either have it on my key ring and use the pocket clip to hang my keys in my pocket or just clipped to my pocket. Unbelievable how much flashlights have advanced since i got my 6P over 5 years ago.

I sounds like you already have your choices narrowed down but I wanted to +1 the Streamlight Microstream C4.
I ordered one recently for an EDC kit and think for the size it cranks out quite a good light. One AAA battery is nice too.
$EDC.jpg
For a frame of reference it is next to a Kaweco sport fountain pen and a Wenger standard issue SA knife. So it's pretty tiny.

Low cost alternative: Tank007 tk 703 (older model - $12) or Tank007 E09 (newer - $15). Made in China, AAA, not as bright as a Maratac, but not as spendy.

I carry the older ARC AAA lights on my key chain, and they are still made here in the USA. However they may be a bit pricey now and I've had modifications made in addition.

When I purchased lights for my kids, well they are men and women now, I picked up Fenix AAA lights mentioned in previous posts.

If you're willing to go with a slightly larger key chain light or a small pocket light, I highly recommend going with a 4 sevens mini AA with a 14500 battery upgrade. I have this light and couldn't be happier with it. The 14500 battery is basically a CR123 battery in a AA form. The advantage is, you can use a regular AA as well as the 14500. The regular AA puts out 90-100 lumens on high, while the 14500 puts out 210-220+ lumens on high. If you decide to go the 14500 route you will need a 14500 battery ( I prefer the AW brand ) and a charger for the battery. This set up will cost around $70 ( light $40, 14500 battery $10 and charger $15 ) If you can spend more than this for a light, there are other options to consider. A video and a pic for size comparison.

View attachment 321622

View attachment 321623

I did not know that there was a charger for AAA and AA sized lithium-ion batteries. I thought my chargers would beat up and
cook the life out of these small guys. Glad to know that the 10400 size will live a full life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not know that there was a charger for AAA and AA sized lithium-ion batteries. I thought my chargers would beat up and
cook the life out of these small guys. Glad to know that the 10400 size will live a full life.

Essentially, as I understand it, all 3.7 volt lithium-ion batteries can be charged the same way. We just can't get them confused with the 1 volt eneloops or other regular AA/AAA batteries, as far as charging them goes.

I don't own any lights that take cr123's or any other form, so I went with the cheap charger. If I had multiple lights with different battery options I would have bought a charger that gave me the option to charge them, which is what I believe you are talking about with your charger?

I'm not sure I understand the above posts, but I wouldn't charge LiIon batteries in a NiMH/Eneloop charger ever.

They are different compositions and charger differently in terms of charge rates, cut off and monitor systems built in to the batteries and chargers.

I have a 3.7v LiIon battery for one of my Fenix lights, but it has a speciality charger designed for LiIon batteries and it's they only LiIon flashlight I own. It's essentially 2 x CR123 batteries in 1 battery tube but now that I have the charger for it, I will likely add more of this size to my flashlight stable.

Last edited:
You are correct brucered. If it wasn't clear in my post then I want to make it perfectly clear. 3.7 volt liIons cannot be charged with an ordinary charger. They take specific chargers.

I think shakey was talking about a charger that would charge his liIons but didn't know he could use it on the smaller batteries. I was only saying that I don't have anything that takes any of the other liIon sizes so I was able to buy a cheaper charger. I can only charge 14500 or 10440 batteries

thanks Rockminer.

I know they make AA sized LiIon batteries for soldering in devices and maybe they make them for everyday applications now too, but they would also use a special charger.

time to look for some more 3.7v Fenix lights !!!!!!!

Top Bottom