What's new

Cheap EDC recommendations

The pocket clip on my EDC knife came loose and fell off relegating it to an at home knife. I am looking for recommendations to replace it in the $50 or so range (not a hard cap, but don't go crazy). I consider a pocket clip a must and prefer assisted open. I have had lower end Kershaws and Spydercos before and am ok with both brands. Amazon is constantly recommending CIvivi, are they any good? Is there another brand/knife that you would recommend?

The only AO knife I ever tried was the Kershaw Leek, but it had a terrible habit of slipping out of my pocket when sitting. My brother had the same issue with the same knife. Other than that it was a great knife. Maybe we just got a dud.

I've been carrying an Ontario Rat for the past few years and am very pleased with it. It's rather large though, so the smaller Rat II might be a better choice.

The Byrd line from Sypderco has worked well for us for years and my wife still carries her Byrd Robin daily. My brother has a few Civivi knives and carries them regularly just like his much more expensive knives, so they must be decent knives in his opinion.

There are so many options at that price range you’ll have no trouble finding something. I have several Civivi and they are excellent for the cost. I have several Kershaw as well and they’re very good, but I’d rate Civivi higher. However, since assisted opening is a priority you’ll probably have more luck with Kershaw. Either way you won’t go wrong.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I prefer higher end Spyderco and Benchmade knives. But there are times when you don’t want a $100-plus knife in your pocket for a number of reasons. So I have a selection of inexpensive, but high quality knives that get into the rotation, and see some hard usage.

The Ontario Rat II is a super good knife at a ridiculously inexpensive price point. I bought it due to the intensely positive recommendations here and everywhere at the time. But I really hated the knife when I first got it. It came packaged like a knife you’d buy at the local flea market for $8. The knife was hard to open. I even took it apart and lubed it up. No luck. The thumb stud was in an awkward spot. It had no fidget feel to it. I sometimes like to fidget with my knives. Bought one for my son at the same time, so I know mine wasn’t a dud. So I relegated it to my travel kit that goes into my checked luggage when I travel. But I travel a ton, so this knife sees lots of action. Well, the knife got broken in and opens easy now. It has a killer blade. Super slicy. Stays sharp with the D2 very well. And has been an all around workhorse. And I got used to the odd thumb stud position. Turned out to be a super knife.

I got a Civivi Elementum some years ago. Super nice knife. Mine is the Micarta version. Lovely. Again, a ridiculously good knife for very little cash. This one comes setup sweet out of the box. Packaged like a high end knife with a cloth and padded zipper case. Really nice. Great blade. Flickable. Sturdy. And the blade stays sharp. Zero complaints… other than they came out with a push button lock version after I bought my liner lock version. Lol.

The Spyderco Tenacious is a fabulous knife for around $50. I got one for my son. He loves it. I was not expecting to like it, but when I tried it out, I did. A lot. If I didn’t already have a Delica, and 4 other Spydies, I would have bought myself one. It was a rare moment of restraint. Lol. But at the same time, the Delica is a better knife for just a little more cash. Made in Japan instead of China, a bit better blade profile, better grind, and a back lock instead of a liner lock on the Tenacious. But both are great. Both are incredibly Sharp out of the box. And in my opinion, there is no better utility knife for EDC than a Spyderco. Benchmades are cooler, and sometimes more well built. They can be stronger too. My BM Griptilian and Osborne will survive a nuclear assault, so of course they will survive a camping trip. But for sheer EDC utility the Spyderco knives are always my first pick. My Amazon boxes quake in fear when the see a Spyderco in my hands. 😎

And I can deploy all of the above knives just as fast as any assisted opening knife. I used to like the assisted knives, but they have lost favor with me.

Good info here, and assisted open is a plus but not a requirement. I also agree I have liked my Kershaws more than the Spydercos, at least in the sub-$100 range, I am kind of interested in trying Civivi now if it is nicer

I have the micarta button lock Civivi Elementum and I love it. It sees more pocket time than any of my Benchmade or Spydercos simply because I spend a lot of time on golf courses in golf pants/shorts and it carries as easy as my Delica or Bugouts. It doesn’t hurt that if I lose it on the course I’m only out $60, but honestly at that price it’s very close in quality to Benchmade and Spyderco.

The main difference is steel. The button lock Elementum is 14c28n instead of a newer “super steel. That’s not a negative for me, though. I love 14c28n and its ability to take an incredibly keen edge and hold it reasonably well. It’s also easy to touch that edge up if you sharpen yourself.

I own an assisted Kershaw that can be fun to fidget with, but I did break the spring doing it lol. Their customer service was top notch and they sent me a new spring for free, but I prefer non assisted mechanisms now and the Civivi button lock is among my favorites. It sports a 3.5” blade, but carries smaller because there’s no thumb stud, flipper tab or opening hole. The button keeps it locked while closed as well as open - a really clever design that’s a ton of fun to fidget with. You’ll need to make sure it’s legal to carry where you live if you go with it, though. Some jurisdictions would consider it a gravity knife as it is designed to drop free when the button is pushed. For that reason I never take it with me when traveling.

I would rate Civivi rather high on the list of affordable knives. If the AO - which is a bit of a dying concept with all those nice flippers around - is not a must you could have a look at:

Bestech
San Renmu/SRM
Ganzo
Enlan
Steel Will

56B85964-91AB-48BB-B7C1-6028F532C794.jpeg

58E3D94E-1911-49DD-837D-D8D6D890FC42.jpeg

8D41C7AF-295A-46DF-8456-D3F6C49167E1.jpeg

EF1014DE-B652-4B1B-A661-9D633C9EC3E6.jpeg

B

Barney14

I decided to go with a scalpel knife, no need to worry too much about the old bill and no worries about sharpening.
Cheap at less than £15 on Aliexpress
1000011896.jpg

B

Barney14

Does the blade lock? In which case the Old Bill will take a very dim view.
I think they have got bigger problems with certain elements of British society welding machetes to settle drug gang, county lines rivalries, than some old boy who uses it to open boxes etc

Top Bottom