What's new

Do people think your nuts for using a DE Razor?

I started DE shaving about 3 weeks ago. My dad and brother think it's crazy. They laughed at the weepers and irritation giving me a weird look inspecting my face each time I saw them. My position is that cartridges are just so expensive and excessive. I used to hate shaving. Now I love that bit of "face time" each morning.

Oddly enough my girlfriend was thrilled! She finds all of the different equipment and soaps interesting. So at least I have one supporter. I feel my greatest support as I am learning is just reading posts on B&B. Thanks to everyone!!!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
How I shave does not really come up in casual conversation. My wife . . . did not need the additional evidence to know I'm nuts.

Mike

I started using a DE at the beginning of the year, and was instantly hooked.

I know what you mean by people looking at you funny, everyone my age has only seen their father use one. They are amazed I can shave without butchering myself. The funny thing is, I had to use a modern razor the other week, and talk about ingrown hairs and irritation! I remembered why I switched.

But what truly made the experience enjoyable was finding a place like B&B. You folks are true Gentlemen (and Ladies) in every sense of the word. It is refreshing to see a place online where people are decent and respectful.

So take heart in knowing your not the only one who is 'nuts'... :lol:

It rarely comes up in conversation, as it's one of those interests of mine that I know most people wouldn't share. The couple of people who do know think I'm eccentric but not crazy.

i've stopped preaching about the virtues of DE shaving, mainly because A) the people I talk to about it don't care otherwise and will continue to use cartridge razors and B) I don't want there to be an explosion in popularity with DE shaving -- this means fewer hidden gems for me to find in the wild :laugh:

Who began the first?

I was wet shaving way-back-when ....BUT had gone the way of many to the cartridge razor..... Then my son started wet shaving and I was having a bad time with skin problems from using cheap throw away razors. He convinced me to give WS a try again and I have loved it..... No more skin problems, lovely close shaves and a hobby to boot!

I recently told my dad, who is in his sixties, that I had just gone back to DE (having used DE from when I started shaving until I was about 20), and he told me that he would never go back, because the blades are so inconsistent. I tried to tell him that a lot of the blades are pretty consistent these days, but he didn't want to hear it, and started trying to convince me that the battery powered Fusion that he had just tried gave him the best shave he had ever gotten, and that I really should try it. Sigh.

I am in my 50's and was recently converted to DE from cartridges by my son. He sort of challenged me to try it by telling me "You just don't get it, Dad!" Now I do of course, and it is a delight to get up and have to shave. But, you are right, I mention it to co-workers and they refuse to believe how nice it is to lather up with some good smelling creme or soap, a nice brush, and a slow shave, that beats any cartridge I every tried.

I rather imagine that most whom have a colorful opinion of me have arrived there for their own reason. I'm a DE shaver and I favor the Robert's Method (which only recently disappeared from this forum) Who am I to argue? I'm very comfortable with 'nuts' as I've been called much, much worse for far less trivial things. I think being referred to as 'nuts' is quite satisfactory if not well earned in my youth. I now subscribe to the notion that God gives everyone the right to be wrong and that is good enough for me. :001_rolle

I know the GF thinks Im crazy but on the flip side she has expressed some level of appreciation for the process (said it was very manly), and my father just has an amused look in his eyes when I tell him about my recent purchases. My mother just doesn't understand why anyone would spend that amount of time shaving (the women spends atleast an hour in the bathroom in the morning doing her hair and makeup etc..

But my firends mostly all in their late 20's think im absolutely bonkers for spendin the kind of time shaving and time chasing shaving products either online or locally. Ironically atleast some of them are keenly interested in the process, not sure if its because they like to watch me become highly animated in the retelling of my shaving experiences or just because watching some1 they percieve to be crazy is fun.

No doubt taking up traditional wetshaving is not the oddest thing ive done, heck its not even close. So no worrys

When you have done some of the things I have done in my life shaving with a DE or straight is nothing. Yes people think I am completely bonkers :w00t: :w00t: and I think that is great. It means that I don't have to fit into their all inclusive conformist way of thinking. I think they are amused by what I do and maybe even a little curious too. Am I nuts?? thats debatable but I have so much fun doing it :w00t: :w00t: :001_tt2: I saw a great saying the other day.... live life like your Dying... Think about it :001_smile

Top Bottom