What's new

Discussion/ Review: Cadet Razors from Shave a Buck!!

It would be nice if Joe would step in and clarify this issue.

The soild brass construction of the Cadet 3 piece models was an idea put forth in my initial review (I believe I was the 1st person to bring the Cadet razors to the attention of the board).

It was based off of the website description for the TP-26 model, which says "A nice chrome and black three piece razor with a solid brass frame."

This is the only Cadet 3 piece model described in this way.

All of the other Cadet 3 piece razors don't make any mention of what they are built out of.

However, all of the Cadet TTO models are described as having "a solid brass frame". So I wonder if this is just a error in the description (likely caused as the result of using copy/paste).

I really don't know, but I am deeply sorry if I have accidentally perpetuated false information.

I'll give that a try when I get a chance. It seemed ever so slightly crooked but there was very visibly more blade hanging over one comb than the other. I tried a couple blades and also flipped the head with no difference. I'll see if I can actually hold the blade to one side while tightening.

UPDATE: I was able to "tweak around" with the blade and get it seated evenly. I finally had some time this morning and decided to try the Cadet (TP-27 OC) for the first time. I put a Weber Bulldog handle on it and loaded with a Gillette Black. Used a Commodore 2 with MWF. A few minutes later and I was staring in the mirror at one finely clean shaven mug! Very nice. The first pass really takes off a lot of beard. I have a thick and tough beard and I had to use very short strokes on the first pass. On the second pass there didn't feel like there was much left. seeing as it's Saturday and I had a little time I did a quite unnecessary third pass and I'm about as close to BBS as I ever get. Again.....very nice :) This razor will get a lot of use.

We'll see how Joe at Shaveabuck responds to my e-mail.

Just a feedback. No reply to the mail sent two weeks ago or the reminder this Sunday. It's not like I can't take the loss or anything, but that razor I got had a really defective head, and I'd like to get some feedback to my e-mail even if it's just a 'no'.:glare:

Just a feedback. No reply to the mail sent two weeks ago or the reminder this Sunday. It's not like I can't take the loss or anything, but that razor I got had a really defective head, and I'd like to get some feedback to my e-mail even if it's just a 'no'.:glare:

Joe doesn't seem to be much of a one for replying to e-mails, I gather. OTOH, the merchandise is good quality and is satisfactory.

I heard the Cadet heads are zinc, handles brass. They feel good in my hands. I bought two and a Sabi steel-handle model. All's well in the Jersey Skylands!

I've shaved several times now with both the open comb & closed comb 3-piece Cadets. I was pleasantly surprised with both. Despite loving my collection of vintage razors, and having a rotation, these Cadets shave so well that I don't want to stop using them! The closed comb is as comfortable as the Schick DE (most comfortable I'd found previously) but shaves even closer! Easy BBSes! The OC is definitely more aggressive but produces just as great a shave. I also love the balanced handles - they feel great in the hand. And as a bonus I was unaware of, the plastic cases they came in are good & handy. Color me impressed.

I do usually need to adjust the blade while tightening down, but I found that it doesn't bother me.

Would anyone like to comment on the shave quality comparison between a Muhle R41 and the open comb Cadet.

I can only assume that the R-41 is more agressive. I love the close (R-41) shave I get but can't use it everyday because of irritation issues.

I currently own 12 DE razors and you guys are making me think about another one...

I've never used an R41, but I couldn't help comparing it to my OC Gillette Pocket Edition. I feel that the Cadet is more comfortable, smoother, but still aggressive enough to make me take an extra dose of caution when using it.

Admittedly, I'm not the most experienced shaver and I still prefer the closed comb that gives me BBSes. I aspire to skill up and get better at both open combs & someday straights. That said, the Cadet is, so far, the best OC I've tried.

edit: I forgot to mention, I'd say it's not as aggressive as the Pocket Edition, but still aggressive.

Last edited:
I have both and I can assure you the R41 is more aggressive. I just began using the Cadet to 26 and so far I am really liking it. It may not replace the love I have for my 41 but I can push my shave to points I wouldn't dare to with the 41, with the 26. I'm still in the trying different blade aspect but so far it appears to favor the same blades as the 41, which is the opposite end of the spectrum compared to the safety bar razors I have.

Chris

Would anyone like to comment on the shave quality comparison between a Muhle R41 and the open comb Cadet.

I can only assume that the R-41 is more agressive. I love the close (R-41) shave I get but can't use it everyday because of irritation issues.

I currently own 12 DE razors and you guys are making me think about another one...

R41 is more aggressive and more harsh. The T26 Cadet OC I have looks to be a copy of FaTip and Joris head and shaves like them also. Personally, I like this design.

I have been using my TTO-15 for about 15 shaves so far, and am really enjoying it. It's well built, with a medium level of aggression.

Gives me a super smooth, close shave in two passes.

Considering the cost, these razors are some of the best values on the market!!

If you get a good one that is. I haven't seen any replies to 3 mails or 1 forum message yet from Shave a buck, and It's been four weeks.

If you get a good one that is. I haven't seen any replies to 3 mails or 1 forum message yet from Shave a buck, and It's been four weeks.

Well. I just wanted to back you up a little since its seems nobody else whants to touch the hot potatoe. I bought a razor from this guy and betweeen the order and the time i received it i asked him several times, using the form at his site, if he had sent it. This because i didnt receive a confirmation by mail of my buy and internet shops usually does that in my experience. It was a bit strange. I was kind of affraid that the order never got away but my paypal money did. That i got confirmation of.

It was very friendly questions. I never got any answers at all. I then realised he was a member of the same forum (one other shaving forum) i´ve myself just became member of, so i sent him a less polite note where i demanded responce and othervise threated to ask the same question publicly if he kept on (what i believed then) ignoring me. I thought we sorted it out then since he answered, i even apoligised for me being a bit rude. I seriously thought that he had something wrong on his contact form at his shopping site. That he was a honest seller and so. But now seeing you experience i understand he actually are ingnoring people. And even worse after sending them a defective item. A serious seller should ofcourse help you out in such case. Maybe people that are not well known on shaving forums or not americans (people who are less a threat to him) get a different treatment? A bad treatment that is. I couldnt live with not helping a fellow out against this seller now then i realise his nature.

Lucidor feel free to pm me if you want or at Shavenook. I can tell you more. Cheers.

The soild brass construction of the Cadet 3 piece models was an idea put forth in my initial review (I believe I was the 1st person to bring the Cadet razors to the attention of the board).

It was based off of the website description for the TP-26 model, which says "A nice chrome and black three piece razor with a solid brass frame."

This is the only Cadet 3 piece model described in this way.

All of the other Cadet 3 piece razors don't make any mention of what they are built out of.

However, all of the Cadet TTO models are described as having "a solid brass frame". So I wonder if this is just a error in the description (likely caused as the result of using copy/paste).

I really don't know, but I am deeply sorry if I have accidentally perpetuated false information.

I read on a site that sells Cadet that the head of the razor is made of chrome over zinc alloy.

For what it's worth, and I know you have all been left wondering all these months ...

I did indeed just recently purchase a Cadet razor from Shave-a-Buck. I ordered two weeks ago on a Thursday and had the razor by the following Tuesday even though Shave-a-buck is on the other coast. Pretty darn fast. This is for now my 13th razor in the collection. The wife, bless her, just shakes her head and wonders out loud about my sanity.

The (Cadet) razor looks fantastic and the heft of it feels fantastic in your hand. I have been shaving with it every day now for a week and a half and am still trying to decide how I feel about it. I like the fact that the Cadet doesn't irritate my skin like the R-41 does. But the closeness factor from this Cadet razor just isn't what I had hoped for when I purchased the razor. The Cadet shave is way down the aggressive scale from a Muhle R-41, purhaps too far down. The blade sitting in the Cadet razor looks like it would be more aggressive than it is in the shave. Perhaps after using an R-41 everything else is just too timid.

Also, as others have pointed out, the Cadet does indeed suffer from a blade alignment issue where one side of the blade sticks out further than the other. But that issue doesn't seem to interfere with the shave. It just gives you a more and less aggressive razor side to choose from.

Anyway for a mere $20 (or so) where else can you get this much entertainment value ?

I just recently got one of the shorter handle Cadet open combs. I already had one with the lower handle and discovered I really like the head. It is second only to my R41 in my favorites. I got this one to check out the handle and I was not disappointed. I posted a pic in my profile of the handle third from the left with a Fatip Grande, an R41 and a Weber Bulldog. The Cadet handle is only lighter than the Weber and has a great feel. It fits all the razors the Weber handle fits for the most part that I could tell but alas not the Gillette New which is kind of what I had hoped it would fit.
Very nice razor and handle though!

I am going to revive this old thread instead of starting a new one to discuss the same thing.

I purchased a Cadet Three Piece OC, Model TP-26, from Shave A Buck ($19) at the end of last year. Over the holiday break I decided put aside my beloved Old Types and gave this razor a serious try while I wasn’t half asleep and rushing to get to work in the morning. This is a quick review after 2 weeks of using it daily (I have to shave daily normally for work). I used the same routine I do every morning just not as rushed. Hot shower, bowl lather and then a three pass shave (WTG, XTG & ATG), lathering between each pass.
What I used for my shaves:

• Badger brush that I have used for years and forgot the maker
  • Saltspring Soapworks - Stonebay shaving soap
  • Saltspring Soapworks - Stonebay aftershave balm
  • Astra SP blade (changed the blade each week like I normally do)
Razor impression:

• The chrome finish is very good and even on the razor I received. I did not find any imperfections.
  • The handle has a decent amount of weight (90g) and is balanced nicely.
  • The knurling is well done and provides good wet grip.
  • The threaded stud coming out of the top cap is extremely long and limits the handles that the head can be used on. If this is an issue for you I am sure you can shorten it.
Shave impression:

• Loading a blade is like any other three piece. However, the handle does feel like forever to unscrew and rescrew.
  • No blade alignment issues
  • The shave is more aggressive than the Old Types. Reminds me very much of the shave I get with a New.
  • The first shave was a bit rough with some irritation on the neck and one weeper. But the shave improved steadily each day, which I take as a sign that it was me learning the razor and not the fault of the razor.
  • Today my rushed three pass shave before heading into work was BBS without any irritation or weepers.
Over all I am extremely impressed with the shaves I have been getting with this razor. They have been consistent irritation free BBS every day for the last week. The overall build quality of the razor, I feel, is better than my Merkur’s. No it is not on the same level as my beloved Gillette Bulldog or Single Ring, but then very few if any modern razors are. For the price point that this razor is selling at I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Top Bottom