What's new

Discussion/ Review: Cadet Razors from Shave a Buck!!

Well till now i got on answer from him.....any idea if and when they will be available again?

Tam

Well still no answer from Joe...I have the feeling that he will not offer the OC Converter any longer.
But why not to say it if that s the case....??

Tam

I'd ordered a TP-24 with closed comb head. The package arrived about 90 minutes ago. Opened it in my kit5chen, and lo! It was the OC head even though the invoice said it was the closed. This was a bit upsetting.

Then, RAD kicked in. "G'wan! Keep it! Inevitably you'll get an OC sooner or later. It's here, now! Go fer it!" Well, I did. Slapped in a fresh Israeli Blue and lathered up a fine artisanal shave cream. What a happy fellow I am now! I have jumped on the bandwagon. :a29: The heft is just right and the finish and fit are really top-notch.

The experience was of a close shave indeed. Still, by remembering about pressure, etc., I had a great three-pass session. Never thought I'd like a shave head like this. Now to join the BOTOC ... :surrender:

I felt the same way about lighter handles and razors,not so much for shaving my mug,but for shaving the dome.I felt at the time that heavier and longer worked best for head shaves.Time has proven me wrong and I can get a great shave from a smallish razor (FaTip Piccolo/Gillette Slim) to a (FaTip/Godzilla/Joris).

On another note if you have a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, load it into the Cadet,both are made in India and it just may be the blade the manufacturers of the Cadet used for their tests.I have no inside knowledge about this other than the fact that the Black performed like this razor was made for it.

I agree with you on the head shaves. The smaller handled razors are better.

I'd ordered a TP-24 with closed comb head. The package arrived about 90 minutes ago. Opened it in my kit5chen, and lo! It was the OC head even though the invoice said it was the closed. This was a bit upsetting.

Then, RAD kicked in. "G'wan! Keep it! Inevitably you'll get an OC sooner or later. It's here, now! Go fer it!" Well, I did. Slapped in a fresh Israeli Blue and lathered up a fine artisanal shave cream. What a happy fellow I am now! I have jumped on the bandwagon. :a29: The heft is just right and the finish and fit are really top-notch.

The experience was of a close shave indeed. Still, by remembering about pressure, etc., I had a great three-pass session. Never thought I'd like a shave head like this. Now to join the BOTOC ... :surrender:
Ha ha. Blessed error! Congratulations.

My Cadet OC has met a new handle - UFO U2. A lovely match!

$Cadet1.jpg$Cadet2.jpg

I have completed 3 shaves so far with my TP-26 open comb and I gotta say imho the razor is great.
I have tough wiry whiskers that curl a bit and quite sensitive pale skin (shave every other day). I expected a little irritation until I got the blade angle dialed in on the cadet as this is the usual way for me so far with my previous 3 razors. I was surprised at how the getting the correct blade angle just seemed to occur instinctively with the razor. Shaved using my usual routine, 2 WTG and 1 XTG passes with touch-ups afterwards. Zero irritation so far.
I have used a different soap each shave (MWF, Lea tallow stick, and VDH deluxe) 2 of which I was using for the first time. Great shaves all round.
I used an Astra SP for these 3 shaves as I find it a nice blade to gauge a razor with. I'll be swapping up for a Gillette 7 o'clock black tomorrow morning to see how that goes.
So far for me this is a great razor and a bargain at the price. YMMV of course.

I got a shipping confirmation on my order. The Web site is still showing a delayed shipping notification, so I don't know if they got a bunch in and just haven't updated the site, or if they only have limited quantities. I'm looking forward to my first open comb shave :D

Is the entire Head plate and base plate made from brass or pot metal. ( I heard the handle is made from brass)

Is the entire Head plate and base plate made from brass or pot metal. ( I heard the handle is made from brass)

I'm wondering the same thing. I almost pulled the trigger on a TTO model, then read the head isn't made of brass. Thankfully I kept reading before making the purchase.

Is this confirmed that the heads of the Cadets are not brass? In other forums I've read that they are. Any news on the all stainless TTO Cadet is supposed to be producing?

I'm wondering the same thing. I almost pulled the trigger on a TTO model, then read the head isn't made of brass. Thankfully I kept reading before making the purchase.

Is this confirmed that the heads of the Cadets are not brass? In other forums I've read that they are. Any news on the all stainless TTO Cadet is supposed to be producing?

On the Shave a Buck site it only states "Solid Brass Frame" for the three piece models, while for the TTO's it states "solid brass construction". Joe would be the only one to complete clarify if the three piece models are solid brass, but based upon his description on the site, I would say that the TTO's are indeed solid brass.

Having the TP-26 with both the open and closed comb heads as well as the TTO-15 I can tell you that they are very solid razors that perform great.

I bought an open comb Cadet from Phil at Bullgoose which I received a couple days ago. As always with Bullgoose, the delivery is fast and the service first rate. The razor itself was interesting. I liked the head design, but the chrome finish was uneven and the handle, while long and fairly weighty, was roughly finished with some burring. No big deal, its a $25 razor. The problem was when I loaded a blade into the head. There was a lot more edge exposed on one side of the cap than the other, and on the side with the most exposure the edge exposure was more on one end of the cap than on the other. The cap itself appeared not to be square. This happened to me on two other razors, both Parkers, so I dug up the Parkers and compared the caps, and guess what? They look the same. They appear to be interchangeable. The Parker caps fit on the Cadet bases, and visa-versa. I had a third Parker with a square cap which I switched onto the Cadet base, and they mated nicely. Then, I grabbed a Tradere handle, screwed it onto the Cadet base, and I had great balance. The ensemble looks good too. Put a new 7 o'clock black in it, lathered up, and had a great, close shave.
I can't state that Parkers and Cadets are the same, but they look it to me and the components seem to be inter-changeable. Both supposedly made in India. I like the Cadet long-tooth open comb base. It's on the aggressive side in terms of shave quality, but not unmanageable. Shaves close very easily.

I always wanted a vintage tto shave with the modern longer heavier handle. I have a Cadet TTO-15. The handle is flawless. There are a few imperfections on the head. Nothing that looks like they will be a problem as of yet. The shave is not effected. The shave is exactly what I wanted. Classic vintage TTO shave with the longer heavier handle. Fast and easy irritation free shave. Looks great as well.

Today I made my first shave with the Cadet, as well as my first shave with an open comb. I've been DE shaving for five months and believe I have my technique and pre-shave prep squared away. I did a two pass with the Cadet loaded with a Feather blade and got a very good shave. No cuts, weepers, or nicks. I really liked the weight of the Cadet, and channeled some of the wisdom in this thread and the BOTOC thread about pressure and negative pressure while shaving, etc.

I'm very impressed w/ the razor, and hope to continue my adventures with open comb shaving.

Muy Cadet shaves unevenly and seems to suffer from the same "uneven top plate" as crfcom's. The screw and the round plugs seem to be off centre. I was just waiting to take some pictures and see if Shaveabuck has some top plates laying around.

Regarding the metal of the razor, I cut the end off of the threaded screw on an OC head to fit another handle and the screw is definitely not brass - seems to be zinc. Cant say anything about the rest of the head though. I wonder if I should put some paint on the end to keep it from corroding.

Top Bottom