What's new

🐗 Decemboar. Yup. It’s a thing! 🐗

I wonder if the bleaching process influences performance and break in time the same way the badger imitation process does. I reckon it must because, unless I'm mistaken, all badger imitations are bleached...although not all bleached brushes are badger imitation. I'm curious how much the bleaching changes the bristles and/or how much the dying changes the bristles. I'd speculate it's more the latter as my just bleached brushes took a long time to break in compared to the bleached+dyed in every case.

Yessir, the one in the middle is a 1470. Absolutely phenomenal brush. Possibly my favorite brush of all time. Definitely my favorite boar

It'll take her a fair amount of time to break in, so the acceleration methods, that your refrigerator statement suggests, are a good idea.

God I love that brush... except the sticker. I always immediately take those stickers off.
Good to know! Great prospects!

I wonder if the bleaching process influences performance and break in time the same way the badger imitation process does. I reckon it must because, unless I'm mistaken, all badger imitations are bleached...although not all bleached brushes are badger imitation. I'm curious how much the bleaching changes the bristles and/or how much the dying changes the bristles. I'd speculate it's more the latter as my just bleached brushes took a long time to break in compared to the bleached+dyed in every case.
I have very little experience with this. But my only unbleached boar seemed to be the most ready to lather out of the box.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
DecemBoar 2020 #24
image.jpg

Razor: Rex Envoy
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club (SOC) Premium Boar, Taj Resin Handle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Fragrance: Original Penguin Reserve

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Excellent shave! :cool:

Day 31, 29th shave.

The last BOARing shave of a BOARing month :cool: ;)
See you all next year 🍻🍷🎇🎆
Best wishes for 2021

Prep : warm water
Brush : NOM Erik
Soap : RazoRock Irish Countryside
Razor : The Bluebeards Revenge Cut-Throat-Razor / Edwin Jagger DES89KNBLAMZ
Blade : Derby Usta / Derby Usta
After shave : Nivea Men Deep Comfort

The Zenith B03-A26 (B2) has the distinguished honor of producing the lather for my last shave of the month and the year. Thanks and props to @SharpieB for starting this Decemboar thread. I've had a lot of fun and actually learned a bit about my boars. I've really enjoyed the pics and commentary from everyone who participated. I hope we can all do it again next year. Have a good shave today and a better one tomorrow. Be well and stay safe...

-- Benjamin

The Zenith B03-A26 (B2) has the distinguished honor of producing the lather for my last shave of the month and the year. Thanks and props to @SharpieB for starting this Decemboar thread. I've had a lot of fun and actually learned a bit about my boars. I've really enjoyed the pics and commentary from everyone who participated. I hope we can all do it again next year. Have a good shave today and a better one tomorrow. Be well and stay safe...

-- Benjamin
Thanks Benjamin.

I am pretty new here and this is the first time I started a thread like this.

Thanks to all for participating and it was great to get to know some of you better. I also got to know my boar brushes better.

Have a great New Years!

Now excuse me as my brand new Simpsons M7 has been waiting for its first use for a few days! 🤪

Yes, bleaching decreases break in time. With Omegas, if you see a brown band in the bristles [what you call badger imitation process] that means the bristles are dyed and then they are dipped in the bleach, so the top part loses the brown dye.

Last shave of 2020
Ended the month like it started with boar brush.
Went for my "Freedom" scent.
Razor : DS cosmetic Z0 cnc
Blade : Astra sp (2)
Brush : Decemboar : Omega 83
PS : Col conk ps oil
Soap : Reef point soap - Test depth
Cold rinse and Thayers witch Hazel
AS : B&M Waves

Good soap/AS match!

Clean shave, no blood.
9.9/10
May tomorrow be the first day of a great year for everybody.
IMG_20201231_130227.jpg

Shaves 8 through 11 starting on the 23rd and ending today. I was off from work for a couple of weeks this month and did not shave as often as I usually do. I work odd hours and tend to reach for a synthetic in the mornings when I am half asleep and short on time. Having participated in decemboar 2020 the break in of this zenith is complete and it lathers much more easily. I will be reaching for it more in the mornings. Lightly scritchy, perfectly scrubby with the right backbone. IMG_0352.JPGIMG_0356.JPGIMG_0368.JPGIMG_0384.JPG

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm done with Decemboar and I'm done with boar. I hoped it would endear itself to me, it did not. I've decided I like synthetics over boar. Badger --> Horse --> Synthetic --> Boar is my pecking order. And honestly if I'm down to boar, I will go brushless.

It's just the feel. They feel like wet bamboo or some other plant fiber, not hair like at all to me.

I'm done with Decemboar and I'm done with boar. I hoped it would endear itself to me, it did not. I've decided I like synthetics over boar. Badger --> Horse --> Synthetic --> Boar is my pecking order. And honestly if I'm down to boar, I will go brushless.

It's just the feel. They feel like wet bamboo or some other plant fiber, not hair like at all to me.
Yup. That's exactly how I felt for years, and there are enough good brushes outside of boar that they're not necessary. Don't throw it away!

Top Bottom