What's new

DE razor to match Blackland Vector

The Blackland Vector in stainless with a feather progaurd is a near perfect razor to me in efficiency, smoothness, and aggressiveness. I am looking for a DE razor that is similar to the vector in that regard. My ideal shave is 3 days worth of growth. I have tried the blackbird ti but find it slightly too aggressive and not as smooth. Here are my top contenders in the order listed. Open to other recommendations. Would love to get input from people that have experience with these razors.

Blutt br1 1.20mm
Wolfman wr2 .095
Carbon cx +

I have considered the lambda Athena and rocnel elite but feel they will be to mild.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Blackland Vector in stainless with a feather progaurd is a near perfect razor to me in efficiency, smoothness, and aggressiveness. I am looking for a DE razor that is similar to the vector in that regard. My ideal shave is 3 days worth of growth. I have tried the blackbird ti but find it slightly too aggressive and not as smooth. Here are my top contenders in the order listed. Open to other recommendations. Would love to get input from people that have experience with these razors.

Blutt br1 1.20mm
Wolfman wr2 .095
Carbon cx +

I have considered the lambda Athena and rocnel elite but feel they will be to mild.
One of these days I’m going to have to get a Vector. I have and love 4 of the 5 razors you mentioned. I don’t have the Carbon.

I consider all the others on the lower side of medium, but that’s me. I’ve always considered the Vector on the higher side of medium, really into the higher efficiency range. I could be mistaken.

Given your stated preferences, the Lambda Ares might be a perfect fit. I haven’t used one, but the people who have both the Athena and the Ares say the Ares is just a bit more efficient, yet just as smooth. I’ve read there is a batch of each available now.

One of these days I’m going to have to get a Vector. I have and love 4 of the 5 razors you mentioned. I don’t have the Carbon.

I consider all the others on the lower side of medium, but that’s me. I’ve always considered the Vector on the higher side of medium, really into the higher efficiency range. I could be mistaken.

Given your stated preferences, the Lambda Ares might be a perfect fit. I haven’t used one, but the people who have both the Athena and the Ares say the Ares is just a bit more efficient, yet just as smooth. I’ve read there is a batch of each available now.
Which one is your favorite out of the ones you own? I’m really wanting the blutt but they are out of stock and no idea when they will be available. I value precision and tight tolerances and the blutt looks like it is very precise.

Did you try a Lite plate with the Blackbird Ti?
I have not, I want to like the blackbird and I have tried, I bought both steel and titanium but I find imperfections in the machining and the tolerances are not very precise, movement in the blade seat. It’s very frustrating because it would have been the perfect razor with both base plates. The vector on the other end is perfection in my opinion, I cannot seem to find a single flaw anywhere and tolerances are very precise and it is the best shaving razor I have ever tried. If I were to pick only one razor in any platform, it would be the vector. I am also a head shaver if that helps.

You can’t go wrong with a RazoRock Game Changer. The folks at IB are very responsive. Shoot them an email explaining what you want and they can steer you in the right direction. For under $100 you can pick up a CNC razor with a couple of baseplates and a handle.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Which one is your favorite out of the ones you own? I’m really wanting the blutt but they are out of stock and no idea when they will be available. I value precision and tight tolerances and the blutt looks like it is very precise.
I feel fortunate to say.... I like each one of them. The Blutt BR-1 1.20 was the first DE that made me believe I would continue to explore DE shaving, instead of just saying with an AC razor or razors. The Athena came next for me.... What a lovely looking and amazing shaving razor for me. I got the Elite not too long after that and I still love the way it shaves. I bought too many DE razors early on.... but I sold all most all of them to fund the Wolfman WR2 0.95. I don't regret that for a minute.... The WR2 is all it's cracked up to be... but is it better than the other three we are discussing?... not to me. I rate them all equal....

I know that isn't helpful.... I'm not sure this factors in, but I also have the ATT Windsor SSRH... and it might be a little bit more efficient than I need. Mine isn't for sale... but I haven't mastered it yet. I'm waiting to see what Blackland does with the line... If they rerelease the Windsor, I'll order the SSMR (mild/regular) base plate and see if that suits me better.

I have 12 razors on my top razor list... 13 if you count the second Atelier Durdan La Faulx that showed up at our place yesterday. As much as I love the other razors on my top list, the La Faulx might be the best razor I've ever used.... but it's an AC razor, as you know... and you want a DE that works as well for you as the Vector. I think your least expensive option... and easiest to obtain, would be the Blackbird Lite plate... to see if that works.

One person here who loves the Vector better than any of his other razors would be @never-stop-learning . His Blackbird is his favorite DE razor..... You might PM him and see if he has some suggestions on shaving techniques that might help you enjoy yours more, if you still have it, that is. The other person you might PM would be @Mr. Shavington . He lead me to most of my top razors. He has lots of experience with various razors, including all the ones mentioned. Both of these guys are extremely helpful and enjoy helping others along their journey. In addition to their expertise... they are two incredibly nice human beings.

Self edit: I hadn't read your latest posts before I started this one. All 4 of the razors I own that are holding your interest have amazing quality control, at least, mine do. Flawless machining.... I don't have the Blutt polished.. mine is the matte finish.... but the quality is outstanding... The other three I have are all polished... and were done so brilliantly.

Blutt br1 1.20mm
Wolfman wr2 .095
Carbon cx +

Obviously you are comparing an AC blade razor with DE blade razors "two different things, different cutting sensations"
Anthony Weiner Shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

I feel fortunate to say.... I like each one of them. The Blutt BR-1 1.20 was the first DE that made me believe I would continue to explore DE shaving, instead of just saying with an AC razor or razors. The Athena came next for me.... What a lovely looking and amazing shaving razor for me. I got the Elite not too long after that and I still love the way it shaves. I bought too many DE razors early on.... but I sold all most all of them to fund the Wolfman WR2 0.95. I don't regret that for a minute.... The WR2 is all it's cracked up to be... but is it better than the other three we are discussing?... not to me. I rate them all equal....

I know that isn't helpful.... I'm not sure this factors in, but I also have the ATT Windsor SSRH... and it might be a little bit more efficient than I need. Mine isn't for sale... but I haven't mastered it yet. I'm waiting to see what Blackland does with the line... If they rerelease the Windsor, I'll order the SSMR (mild/regular) base plate and see if that suits me better.

I have 12 razors on my top razor list... 13 if you count the second Atelier Durdan La Faulx that showed up at our place yesterday. As much as I love the other razors on my top list, the La Faulx might be the best razor I've ever used.... but it's an AC razor, as you know... and you want a DE that works as well for you as the Vector. I think your least expensive option... and easiest to obtain, would be the Blackbird Lite plate... to see if that works.

One person here who loves the Vector better than any of his other razors would be @never-stop-learning . His Blackbird is his favorite DE razor..... You might PM him and see if he has some suggestions on shaving techniques that might help you enjoy yours more, if you still have it, that is. The other person you might PM would be @Mr. Shavington . He lead me to most of my top razors. He has lots of experience with various razors, including all the ones mentioned. Both of these guys are extremely helpful and enjoy helping others along their journey. In addition to their expertise... they are two incredibly nice human beings.

Self edit: I hadn't read your latest posts before I started this one. All 4 of the razors I own that are holding your interest have amazing quality control, at least, mine do. Flawless machining.... I don't have the Blutt polished.. mine is the matte finish.... but the quality is outstanding... The other three I have are all polished... and were done so brilliantly.
Wow thank you for the wealth of information. Looks like I may have to try a few razors now!

I would try the Blackbird lite. I have the Vector, the BB Ti and the BB lite.
This is almost as efficient as the standard BB. For daily shaving it is perfect for me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
One person here who loves the Vector better than any of his other razors would be @never-stop-learning . His Blackbird is his favorite DE razor..... You might PM him and see if he has some suggestions on shaving techniques that might help you enjoy yours more, if you still have it, that is.
Thank you, Kim. :)

As my friend @Phoenixkh states: the Ti Vector SB GTx is my AC razor and also my favorite razor of any type. The AC razors that fill out my Top 5 AC blade razors are the Stainless Vector SB, Colonial Razors The General, Above The Tie X1 Slant and the Alpha Claymore Evolution (when used with the Feather Pro Super blade).

My favorite DE razor is the Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB GTx. The Lambda Athena, Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB, Above The Tie Windsor CH and Rex Envoy round out my top DE razors.

I shave steep and am a card carrying member of the Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA). You may consider fitting your Blackbird with a Feather or Perma-Sharp blade and trying a steep angle. It was certainly a revelation to me.

And don't discount the Lambda Athena as being "too mild". My barbed wire beard is gray, thick, wiry chaotic and grows in multiple directions (swirls) within the same area. The Athena is "sneaky efficient" and gets through my beard very nicely.

All of the razors I've mentioned are highly (or more) effective. I can use all of them every day with pleasure.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, Kim. :)

As my friend @Phoenixkh states: the Ti Vector SB GTx is my AC razor and also my favorite razor of any type. The AC razors that fill out my Top 5 AC blade razors are the Stainless Vector SB, Colonial Razors The General, Above The Tie X1 Slant and the Alpha Claymore Evolution (when used with the Feather Pro Super blade).

My favorite DE razor is the Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB GTx. The Lambda Athena, Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB, Above The Tie Windsor CH and Rex Envoy round out my top DE razors.

I shave steep and am a card carrying member of the Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA). You may consider fitting your Blackbird with a Feather or Perma-Sharp blade and trying a steep angle. It was certainly a revelation to me.

And don't discount the Lambda Athena as being "too mild". My barbed wire beard is gray, thick, wiry chaotic and grows in multiple directions (swirls) within the same area. The Athena is "sneaky efficient" and gets through my beard very nicely.

All of the razors I've mentioned are highly (or more) effective. I can use all of them every day with pleasure.

Hope this helps.
That is good to know, thank you! I just placed an order for the athena, will see how it does.

Top Bottom