What's new

d'amaris - a piece of romanian shaving memorabilia, still sold today

(not affiliated with any of the brands below)
walking through the department store today my eyes fell on a piece of memorabilia, the romanian made shaving cream, D'amaris.
It has a history of over 50 years, it was the shaving cream of choice for my grandfathers and my father and i remember receiving this cream while serving in the army.
It was at some point in the 90's that this brand was sold to Palmolive and now it seems that it's a part of Nec Plus Ultra Cosmetics (Switzerland) and sold under the Solea brand
The smell is great and as i remember it but it cannot be described.
At under 1 USD it's a no brainer, i picked one and rushed home to try it.
So, long story short: it lathers great and it lasts for multiple passes. creates a great slick layer for both the SR and DE. it leaves the skin soft with no irritation. Scent is not very powerful and it reminds me of my granddads and vintage communist barber shops. Cannot identify it well but it's in the whereabouts of sandalwood with a veeeery faint and subtle hint of menthol. Price? well... 80 cents for 60 mls...
if someone wants to try this cream gimme a PM, i will gladly (and free) send one to the US and one to Europe and then it can be passed around.
26942123_2017897048500032_726241469_o.jpg 26905805_2017897645166639_1905030643_o.jpg 26853939_2017897655166638_1442463789_o.jpg

Very cool offer, I'm goi g to try to stick with soaps this year. Awesome looking stuff especially for the price. How would you say it compares to the 10-20 usd creams out there? Just curious.

good enought to make me wonder where's the USD20 difference but not good enough to make me stop buying higher end creams :)
this year will be a big year for me since i'll start making my own soap (personal use only, not for sale) and sticking to it. as soon as i start i'm going to publish a journal for everyone to enjoy and for good advice.

good enought to make me wonder where's the USD20 difference but not good enough to make me stop buying higher end creams :)
this year will be a big year for me since i'll start making my own soap (personal use only, not for sale) and sticking to it. as soon as i start i'm going to publish a journal for everyone to enjoy and for good advice.

That sounds really interesting. Would you place a link to your journal in this thread once you start it? I too am interested in making soap.
And thank you for posting about d'aramis

Yes, the Swiss took over the Royal D'Amaris and from what older Romanians have told me the formula and scent were changed by the Solea Co....I never did get a chance to try the Royal creams, Romanian shaving products are extremely rare in the U.S....
dam.jpg
damaris-crema-ras-60g-royal.jpg

@malocchio
the scent was modified but it's close to what i remember.
PM me your message, i'l be more than glad to send you a tube.
BTW, we romanians also have a concept similar to malocchio, it's called deochi :)

Yes, I'm familiar with the D'Amaris Royal cream. I actually like the scent very much and it lathers great. It leaves a comfortable post-shave feeling also. I never knew Solea took over the brand.

Very interesting history, thanks for sharing :001_302: I have a friend from Bulgaria who used to travel through Bucharest a lot, but I never thought to ask them to pick me up any shave products - my loss I guess! Looks like a very interesting product with a cool history and great price point - kinda like Palmolive or Ingrams cremes in the UK maybe?

@slateshalehead maybe similar to palmolive. we're talking brands with established names, which were once upon a time the only go to choices :)
now, given the plethora of trad shaving paraphernalia we seem to forget that they even exist, let alone creating a fan base...

Very interesting history, thanks for sharing :001_302: I have a friend from Bulgaria who used to travel through Bucharest a lot, but I never thought to ask them to pick me up any shave products - my loss I guess! Looks like a very interesting product with a cool history and great price point - kinda like Palmolive or Ingrams cremes in the UK maybe?
D'aMARIS is also sold in Bulgaria ....your friend can buy it there

@RT Smoothie it could be, we're neighboring countries and we do exchange a lot of goods. the Bulgarians have an ages long tradition with rose based cosmetics.
And maybe after solea took over the brand they went global, starting with the Balkans.
Now, speaking of romanian shaving creams: i found one (it's called Marine Corral) which is so darn cheap i wouldn't really want to try on my face. It's 30 cents :)

TRY IT !!!....and post some pictures....remember , ARKO and DERBY are dirt cheap , but good shave products !...You won't know until you experiment with it.
@RT Smoothie it could be, we're neighboring countries and we do exchange a lot of goods. the Bulgarians have an ages long tradition with rose based cosmetics.
And maybe after solea took over the brand they went global, starting with the Balkans.
Now, speaking of romanian shaving creams: i found one (it's called Marine Corral) which is so darn cheap i wouldn't really want to try on my face. It's 30 cents :)

As malocchio stated, you never know - this cheap cream may be very good. Bulgaria has some of the best creams and other cosmetics in the world. We have a cream readily available here in Canada called Gada Cool Mint which I could get for less than a dollar and is it ever fantastic. I also heard about another Romanian cream called Plant Activ. Your country does have some good stuff! :001_smile

As malocchio stated, you never know - this cheap cream may be very good. Bulgaria has some of the best creams and other cosmetics in the world. We have a cream readily available here in Canada called Gada Cool Mint which I could get for less than a dollar and is it ever fantastic. I also heard about another Romanian cream called Plant Activ. Your country does have some good stuff! :001_smile
Gada creams , made in Lebanon are fantastic...They contain Vaseline , the glide and protection is superb, nice aroma as well !

Top Bottom