What's new

Cycling 2017

I should’ve brought my wallet so I could get a quality cocktail down here at Cape Harbour.

I always take 4 things when heading out on a ride and put them in my saddle bag. My driver's license. My health insurance card. A credit card. A $20 bill. Some of this is to deal with an emergency or health issue like getting hit and rendered unconscious. And other emergency would be if I could not continue and find myself in a bar needing a drink. But I'm jealous. The temps in NJ today ranged from a low of 13 to a high of 27 degrees Fahrenheit. No riding for me. Elliptical tomorrow and every day the rest of this week.

Man! Cold!

I need to be better about carrying ID and a few $$. Even copies of the drivers license and health insurance in a plastic baggie would be better than nothing.

Last edited:
Had to move the pain cave from the back room to the servants quarters (sounds weird I know, but that bedroom was the servants quarters many years ago).

I went out to the back room and turned on my space heater and it made noises that were not normal.

It'll work ... not as spacious or as bright, but it'll work.

20 miles today

26+ road bike miles this evening. Just a bit of twilight left at the finish.
78/56%/NNW6
Glad to see you guys staying with it despite the weather up there!

16 Zwift miles today and that will round out my year ... my pain cave becomes a bedroom until New Year's Day :)

Overall, more than 2300 miles this year, 48K feet of climbing. My goal at the start of the year was 2000 miles, so I reached my goal. Wanted to lose 50 pounds, but made it to 30 (I'm sure I'm up a few pounds now from the holidays). I also wanted to get my cycling joy back ... and I can confidently say I have, so 2017 was a very successful year for me.

Which got me to thinking ... what do I (and you guys) hope to accomplish in terms of cycling goals for 2018?

I'm aiming for 4000 miles.
I'd love to do the Ride Across Wisconsin
I'd like to lose that last 20 pounds (and then some)
A couple of centuries here and there would be cool too.

My goals for the coming year...

Ride a 100 km ride every month
Finish at least 5x 200 km Brevets in 2018 (in addition to the 100 km rides)
Loose the last 29 lbs (lost 30lbs so far this year)

BTW... I just got my new Smart Trainer, Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+, and it is AWESOME! Took it for a quick 20 minute spin and the feedback and resistance changes (according to % of grade) changes the entire experience of Zwift. Picked it up from Chain Reaction Cycle for $345 (shipped, not tax). It is differently worth every penny. It is much quieter than my dumb fluid trainer. Maybe in the coming year, I may end up with a direct drive trainer. But in the meantime, this will work perfectly.

@jjking54 and @Kokak way to go! Keep it up! I am excited to get back into it and log some serious miles in 2018. My trainer is ready to go and I’d like to ride 1000+ miles on the flight deck during my upcoming deployment. If I can lose 20 lbs by summer, I will be very satisfied with that as well.
Happy new year and happy riding in 2018!

At my age and what I want to get out of cycling now, I've made the move to a flat bar hybrid with a rigid fork (Fuji Absolute). I'll go stretches when I'm putting in 100 miles a week, and then go a month or two without anything more than local, easier rides. When I ride, I'm often out before the sun comes up to get views like this.

proxy.php

Strava says I'm just over 3K miles for 2017. The first 14 of today's 41.2 miles was straight into a 10 mph wind. I was so happy to make the first turn to the west. I had a couple of small jogs back to the north as I rode across the north end of Cape Coral. When I finally turned south, I was on new asphalt with a 13 mph NW wind.

I don't know what 2018 holds. I have the Pan Florida Challenge in March; two 100 mile rides on a Saturday and Sunday taking us from North Naples to Lake Placid on day one, and Lake Placid to Vero Beach on day 2. With the way I feel today, I know I'll be hurting come Sunday. Might not reach 3K again this year.

Top Bottom