What's new

Cycling 2017

1st day of a 4 week FTP Booster workout program. Other than some wireless issues (causing some connection issues), it kicked my butt. Gonna a try a causal ride late tonight.

1st day of a 4 week FTP Booster workout program. Other than some wireless issues (causing some connection issues), it kicked my butt. Gonna a try a causal ride late tonight.

Nice ... I think I'm going to do that program after the holidays.

21 miles today ... leading a group ... not sure I'm comfortable with it, but all in all, it could have gone much worse :)

Oh I plan to Kokak ... I'm just aiming to get through the holidays at the weight I'm at right now ... and then I'll do that program to hopefully jumpstart even more loss :)

Another 13 miles on the books. Day 2 of the 4 week FTP booster workouts. Had to stop half way to allow my heart rate to come down. But feel great!

As Kokak said, there's no extra charge. It's part of the price.

It's a really nice social aspect to the program and it's better than riding alone all the time.

Kudos to the Zwift users! I gave it my best shot but I just can't sit myself on a trainer for all that time. Now granted, I'm here in the SF Bay area and the weather has been almost perfect (clear, in the 40's early morning but warming up to the low 60's) but there are times when darkness settles, or it rains and I need to get in a quick workout. I find that 30-50 minute HIIT (high intensity interval training) sessions work best for me. If you search online you can find some good examples that will play a video and guide you through the intensity. I like a few from the GCN Show. They give specific effort numbers and times and the music's not bad (although the commentators are really annoying!). Best thing is I can attain some pretty intense thresholds in a limited amount of time and it really helps scaffold my fitness and strength. btw - I use a Kinetic Road Machine Smart Trainer and a Garmin heart rate monitor that sends power output info to my iPhone. Just a lil fyi.

I enjoyed the GCN videos as well, but I'm loving Zwift.

26 miles today ... Did a race this morning, finished sixth. Then a social ride this afternoon.

Tomorrow is a recovery day and lots of time on Zone 2, and hopefully I hit Level 10 tomorrow

The usual 17 mile ride, Mostly as recovery from yesterday’s run. I find it hard to dial back, probably because I am so slow to start with!
70/64%/WNW11

Last edited:
23 miles over lunch ... puts me over the top of my weekly 100 mile goal ...

I figured I'd be pretty beat after today ... but right now, I feel freaking amazing.

25.4 mi Ride Activity on December 14, 2017 by Brian L. on Strava

This was a fun/hard ride. Not a very long ride but def. a tough one. At first the elevation doesn't seem too bad, but then you realize it all came within about 12 miles. Yea, nothing beats some tough climbs to see who's who...
Good job

23 miles over lunch ... puts me over the top of my weekly 100 mile goal ...

I figured I'd be pretty beat after today ... but right now, I feel freaking amazing.
Awesome...

4C4C73A8-47D3-4012-AC3E-E37027895343.jpeg
18 light miles on the road tonight. Just spinning. Tri Sunday. I'll do an easy swim tomorrow. Hoping it gets to 80 air temp tomorrow to bring the lake temp up to 70 or so. It's going to be brutal with an air temp of 60 and anything less than 70 in the water. Not getting a wetsuit.

Last edited:
25.4 mi Ride Activity on December 14, 2017 by Brian L. on Strava

This was a fun/hard ride. Not a very long ride but def. a tough one. At first the elevation doesn't seem too bad, but then you realize it all came within about 12 miles. Yea, nothing beats some tough climbs to see who's who...

Nice ride. I've been following Phil Gaimon a bit lately and there is some great riding out your way, aye? I know he is down in Malibu and SoCal, but he gets around a bit. Saw he won the Mt. Washington Auto Road Hill Climb this summer in NH. I'd love to get on the bike out west.

Nice ride. I've been following Phil Gaimon a bit lately and there is some great riding out your way, aye? I know he is down in Malibu and SoCal, but he gets around a bit. Saw he won the Mt. Washington Auto Road Hill Climb this summer in NH. I'd love to get on the bike out west.

I am very lucky to live and ride in this area. Right here in the Oakland/Berkeley hills there are some fantastic places to ride with some great elevation to be had (if that's your thing). I'm also close to the Marin area and Mt. Tamalpais, and the whole Coast Range for that matter. I love climbing and average at least 2500' a ride. Tomorrow I'm doing a group ride with 4k of elevation and 55 miles long. Finding a club to ride with has really helped push my abilities while helping me find a bunch of great, new routes. I encourage anyone who likes to ride to seek out groups and clubs, and you can usually find rides and routes to suit every ability.

Top Bottom