What's new

Cycling 2017

D64F8A99-FD69-4C31-B9AA-A77B53BA0BA0.jpeg
Tri done. Fun event. Air temp 61 but water was at least 70. My goal was 1:06 for this short sprint and I did 1:06:50 (open bike course with a slow car is my excuse!) and got my first ever award! Pretty cool, but I literally watched an older age grouper limp away from me on the run, so not letting it go to my head! My son and his friend won age group awards, too. My daughter somehow got a mug despite a DNF, but she deserved it for a water rescue and watching one casualty receive CPR after being pulled from the water. Haven't seen my splits, but the Roubaix must have helped my bike.

View attachment 844988
Tri done. Fun event. Air temp 61 but water was at least 70. My goal was 1:06 for this short sprint and I did 1:06:50 (open bike course with a slow car is my excuse!) and got my first ever award! Pretty cool, but I literally watched an older age grouper limp away from me on the run, so not letting it go to my head! My son and his friend won age group awards, too. My daughter somehow got a mug despite a DNF, but she deserved it for a water rescue and watching one casualty receive CPR after being pulled from the water. Haven't seen my splits, but the Roubaix must have helped my bike.

Congrats Rick, well done.

I'm glad your daughter got an award and you all got to spend the day together.

I hope no one was seriously injured during the event.

Hey guys,
Looking to get back into it. With winter upon us and me living on a ship half the year, I want to get on a trainer in hopes of staying motivated and in shape. I like the idea of Zwift and Ful Gaz. A smart trainer isn’t in the budget right now but maybe the CycleOps Fluid2. Any experience or other recommendations?

Well, you can zwift with a "dumb trainer" ... as long as you have a cadence and speed sensor.

I know you say it's not in the budget, but I would urge you not to buy a new dumb trainer ... you're going to regret it. My smart trainer and Zwift have changed my life (and I don't say that lightly). I look forward to riding ... it's fun, trying to stick with a group in Zwift or trying to chase one down. It's really something special if you're able to find a way to make it happen.

I was able to finance mine for six months at 0% with a special from Wahoo ... It's the best $100 a month I've ever spent.

FYI... I just found this trainer for $150 less than anyplace around me. Free shipping and no tax @ Chain Reaction...

proxy.php

and the reviews have been great, for a budget SMART trainer.

Congrats Rick, well done.

I'm glad your daughter got an award and you all got to spend the day together.

I hope no one was seriously injured during the event.

It was a really fun weekend down in Naples, thanks. On a sad, note, however, the 75 year old pulled from the water did not make it. I’d link the article, but it is not accurate.

Well, you can zwift with a "dumb trainer" ... as long as you have a cadence and speed sensor.

I know you say it's not in the budget, but I would urge you not to buy a new dumb trainer ... you're going to regret it. My smart trainer and Zwift have changed my life (and I don't say that lightly). I look forward to riding ... it's fun, trying to stick with a group in Zwift or trying to chase one down. It's really something special if you're able to find a way to make it happen.

I was able to finance mine for six months at 0% with a special from Wahoo ... It's the best $100 a month I've ever spent.
Cycleops is running a similar zero percent promotion: Zwift | Get Setup

23 Zwift miles, split over two events and a warm up ...

Not sure what I'm doing tomorrow ... an organized ride, or finally going climbing in Zwift

Thanks for the info on trainers, guys. Hitting the pavement tomorrow for a 13-14 mile loop around the neighborhood. Then will be hitting my local bike shop. They are going to set up the Wahoo KICKR Snap for me to try out.

Did 12.4 miles today. Mostly flat road and paths. Felt good to get out. I also just got back from the bike shop and got a nice discount on the Wahoo KICKR Snap. Merry Christmas to me. Anyone use Ful Gaz? I know there is a lot of hype about Zwift but being able to download routes and not have to be connected to the internet is important.

6F1FF9BD-EC83-4C1B-8C7C-E0FA66B42CCF.jpeg
Just under 26.5 road bike miles this evening. First ride with 55mm pedal axles, widening my stance and taking pressure off the inside of my knee.
80 down to 75 during the ride, 86%, W6.

D3B70616-00CE-4048-A1C4-91A47A3A7AFE.jpeg
So I realize I need to tread lightly if I’m going to complain about the weather this time of year, but I got caught by the one rain cloud I think we’ve had all winter! Waiting for a ride…

I left without sunglasses as the sun was just about to set. I caught a large mosquito in my left eye. I should have taken that as an omen about a half a mile in, but I kept going.

Then the rain started chasing me from the east. Got rained on for 2 miles and headed south for another half mile before I was out of it. When it came time to turn back to the north I could see I wasn’t going to make it back home, so here I wait. I should’ve brought my wallet so I could get a quality cocktail down here at Cape Harbour.

Top Bottom