What's new

Coyotes in Florida

Oh stop it, everyone knows their are no coyotes in Florida. I read in the newspaper that just about all indigenous life has been consumed by enormous numbers of mutated giant pythons, which have been witnessed at over 25 feet in length. Let's not mention that the Nile Monitors and hybridized mutant freak carnivore iguanas, eat whatever the jurrasic pythons missed. So who do you think your fooling with coyote stories?

Today at around 9:00 a.m. I was driving to the gym. There is a pond at the end of the block and some light woods across the pond. From a distance I saw an animal that looked like a dog with reddish colored fur but had a full tail. I stopped my car and tried to get my cell phone out to get a picture. The animal looked my way and then ran into the woods. It was a coyote. Will have to be careful when we walk out dog!

I read an article in the St. Petersburg Times which was about coyotes spotted in Pinellas County. I think you are wise to be careful when walking your dog.

I live in Tampa. Haven't seen any coyotes, but I've seen my share of racoons and opposums.

Steve

Last edited:
I live in Tampa. Haven't seen any coyotes, but I've seen my share of raccoons and opposums.

Steve
Are you sure they were racoons and not the elusive Raccoon Dog? :laugh:
$raccoon_dog.jpg

I saw one in northwest Cape Coral midday a couple of months ago. It is a sparsely populated area, but there are plenty of residences with children's toys outside.

Yeah, they're pretty much everywhere. I don't see them often, but hear (many) of them every night.. I live way out in the boonies. I wouldn't worry about your dog either, unless you can't control him and he gets loose and chases it. Even then, unlikely to be an issue. My folks' dog saw one out the woods a few days ago, and went storming after it..the coyote just high tailed it out of there. The coyote's not going to come anywhere near you, with or without your dog. They're very cautious. Now letting you cat out at night if you have one....that's a little different story :) .

Top Bottom