What's new

Christmas Brushes From My Bride

Very nice brushes. I'm no brush expert but I think the second one is a Simpsons Case brush, I think I've seen them before.

Also love the butterscotch on the first one.

You are a lucky man.

Congratulations.

The butterscotch on both of them looks great. The Case is the model name of that Simpsons. Really nice curves on them older ones.

Looking forward to seeing them restored. Take lots of pictures please.

Very nice brushes. I'm no brush expert but I think the second one is a Simpsons Case brush, I think I've seen them before.

Also love the butterscotch on the first one.

You are a lucky man.

Congratulations.

The butterscotch on both of them looks great. The Case is the model name of that Simpsons. Really nice curves on them older ones.

Looking forward to seeing them restored. Take lots of pictures please.

Thank you for the information gentleman. I took a few more pictures and then removed the knot from the Ever-Ready (it was shedding like a retriever in July). I keep a pretty tight budget, so suggestions on a quality Silvertip or Finest Badger knot that will not break the bank are welcome.

I have not touched the Case yet as I was uncertain if there is greater value in keeping it original? Suggestions?

Thank you for the information gentleman. I took a few more pictures and then removed the knot from the Ever-Ready (it was shedding like a retriever in July). I keep a pretty tight budget, so suggestions on a quality Silvertip or Finest Badger knot that will not break the bank are welcome.

I have not touched the Case yet as I was uncertain if there is greater value in keeping it original? Suggestions?
For the ever ready look at Whipped Dog badger knots or Maggards synthetic knots.

For the Case the value is in the handle, but I'd want to put a top quality knot in that, I think you can actually contact Simpsons and they'll re-knot it.

For the Case the value is in the handle, but I'd want to put a top quality knot in that, I think you can actually contact Simpsons and they'll re-knot it.

I sent an email to Simpson and received a prompt reply letting me know they would try and get me answers before January 2nd, which is when they will be back in the office. I will let you know how it turns out.

I received a reply from Simpson and with shipping both ways it would be $70 US to put a new Best Badger knot in it and a new Simpson sticker. Since I am more interested in function than having the sticker I think I will just order a Silver Tip from TGN and restore the brush myself.

I received a reply from Simpson and with shipping both ways it would be $70 US to put a new Best Badger knot in it and a new Simpson sticker. Since I am more interested in function than having the sticker I think I will just order a Silver Tip from TGN and restore the brush myself.
At least you got an answer. That is good info for others to know who might end up in a similar situation. Thanks for posting what happened. And I hope you enjoy the TGN knot, I hear those are great knots

At least you got an answer. That is good info for others to know who might end up in a similar situation. Thanks for posting what happened. And I hope you enjoy the TGN knot, I hear those are great knots

I just ordered the TGN knot and will update the thread after completion.
The communication from Simpson was prompt and gracious; nice to know this level of service still exists, especially for a product made decades ago. Way to go Simpson!

Somehow I missed this thread. You have a couple beautiful handles there, but that Simpson...SCORE! I only have one TGN silvertip (premium) and think I got a fluke, it has a glue spike and sheds terribly, I should have returned it. I've been nothing but completely satisfied with my TGN finest knots as well as their blonde boar. I think they sell a great knot for the money. I just used a TGN finest for a brush I made my brother for his birthday which says a lot, I admire the man. I think you'll be quite happy.

It it is four months later and I FINALLY have these two brushes complete. I ended up using the original TGN knot for a brush for Dad. So I purchased a 19mm Silvertip for the Simpson and a 20mm Finest for the Ever-Ready from Ace Shaving.

I gave each knot a dish soap lathering to cut down on some of the badger funk and this is the bloom afterwards.

IMG_1382.JPG
IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

I was tempted to try and even out the color on the Simpson where the label used to be, but decided against it.

Simpson: 19mm X 48mm loft
Ever-Ready: 20mm X 46mm loft
The Ever-Ready probably should have been set at 48+...but hindsight is always 20/20.

You've done a very nice job once again. I changed my mind, I prefer the ER now. Such a lovely shape on that one.

Thank you for the encouragement.
I too prefer the vase shape and coloring of the ER, plus it has this subtle marbling (can't seem to capture it with my iPhone camera).

Top Bottom