What's new

Chicago Pilgrimage to Merz Apothecary?

i have gone to merz a ton of times and never gone into the brauhaus. Seeing the pic of the beer has now made it a must do in my book I think I will have to make it a point to stop in.

So, I finally make a trip to Merz on Lincoln and guess what?...........................................................

THE BRAUHAUS IS CLOSED ON TUESDAYS

I will definitely being making another visit. Was very surprised about the selection that they had. I could have easily dropped a few hundred dollar in there. :thumbup1:

Gentlemen of the Chicago area:

I am planning on getting more into proper wet shaving, and thought I would make a visit to Merz. I figured this was a decent place to pose Chicago specifics a question, and that is if Merz does honing for straights, and if so, are they good at it? I have my great grandpa's straight I would like to resurrect but can't hone myself. Depending on if they do will influence if I will make the drive out there.

Also, do you all plan to have any other meetups? I would love to learn from the more experienced in person!

Thanks

Merz doesn't hone blades. If you check out the honing forum, though, you should find several members who can likely give you a hand with your razor.

I'm guessing this gathering occurred? I'm from the SW burbs and would be interested in a gathering either at Merz or somewhere else. Is there anything else in the works?

I have not heard of anyone ever getting together but I could be wrong. Going to have to do a Merz trip again soon as I am having withdrawals. LOL

Will do. I usually go during the day as I have been working at night lately. Things change from week to week though. I'm a NW 'burb here so we will be coming from opposite ends.

I made my "pilgrimage" to Merz last month when I was in town. Hit both the Lincoln Square and Palmer house locations.

The selection was outstanding as had been well documented. The staff were friendly and let me browse for close to an hour without being pushy at all. What an experience to be able to be hands on with so many iconic shaving products. When i think of all the shipping charges I've thrown away over the last couple years I should have just bought a plane ticket and a cab ride to Merz!

So true! The first time I was there I smacked myself in the forehead and I'm just from the 'burbs of Chicago!

. When i think of all the shipping charges I've thrown away over the last couple years I should have just bought a plane ticket and a cab ride to Merz!

Last edited:
So true! The first time I was there I smacked myself in the forehead and I'm just the 'burbs of Chicago!

Even if just to sniff many flop purchases would have been avoided.

On the other hand - so many hidden gems like bath house and I coloniali would have been discovered!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Hi there! I kinda drifted away for a while, but I was at our first small group get together out in the west suburbs in January last year, I think. I believe there was a summer or fall deal I missed, as well.

This is kinda kicking around not going anywhere, it seems. I'm going to start another thread only because I want to create a poll with dates on it people can vote for. We certainly don't need a huge crowd, we had about a dozen at the first one, as I recall, and if we had half that, we'd have fun! Plus, I'd like to see Phil again and scott (I think there are two Scotts, I just saw Captain Pre-Capsize last week and he's a Scott) and some of you other guys. I still have lunch with Clutch Cargo every couple months.

Look for another Chicago Merz thread in a few minutes with a date poll in it.

Let's do dis ting!

Poll is up here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...cago-Merz-get-together-thread-with-date-poll-!

Last edited:
Top Bottom