What's new

Chicago Pilgrimage to Merz Apothecary?

My girlfriend took me to a cooking class Saturday for an early birthday and it happened to be right across the street from merz Lincoln square. Good thing they were already closed for the evening otherwise we'd have been late to the class!

Count me in for a date after the holidays. :thumbup1:

By the way, I've been on this forum for a few years (I'm not very active though) and I didn't realize there was any drama surrounding the Great Shave event!? I really wanted to attend the event this year, but my wife was sick, and it would have been a bad decision if I went out to the Great Shave while she was at home alone feeling miserable! :p

went yesterday to pick up items for a gift basket type of thing I am making my friend for a gift. The one in lincoln square has got allot more items then they had so of corse I had to pick my self up an unplanned item lol. I have not shaved in a month so I can not enjoy them 100% but i still clean my neck up every morning.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
went yesterday to pick up items for a gift basket type of thing I am making my friend for a gift. The one in lincoln square has got allot more items then they had so of corse I had to pick my self up an unplanned item lol. I have not shaved in a month so I can not enjoy them 100% but i still clean my neck up every morning.

I much prefer the Lincoln Square shop.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This seems like the right place to ask this.

Sooner or later I plan on making a trip, either with this group or Han Solo style. The easiest for me would be to take the BNSF railway to Union Station. But from there what would be the easiest public transportation? Bus? Taxi? Subway?

@ Toothpick, From downtown (get on probably at quincy) to lincoln square I would take the Brown Line to the Western stop, some walking but not much. Taxi would be pricey.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This seems like the right place to ask this.

Sooner or later I plan on making a trip, either with this group or Han Solo style. The easiest for me would be to take the BNSF railway to Union Station. But from there what would be the easiest public transportation? Bus? Taxi? Subway?

You can get out of Union Station on Jackson street and cross over the Chicago River and east a few blocks past Sears Tower (yes, I know, but I will always call it Sears Tower), turn left on State Street. Up two blocks and turn right on Monroe, then it's a half a block on the right.
Not really a bad walk at all, takes me about 15 minutes.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
@ Toothpick, From downtown (get on probably at quincy) to lincoln square I would take the Brown Line to the Western stop, some walking but not much. Taxi would be pricey.

You can get out of Union Station on Jackson street and cross over the Chicago River and east a few blocks past Sears Tower (yes, I know, but I will always call it Sears Tower), turn left on State Street. Up two blocks and turn right on Monroe, then it's a half a block on the right.
Not really a bad walk at all, takes me about 15 minutes.

great thanks!

me and a buddy walked from Wrigley Field to Union Station once, under the mentality "hey thats the Sears tower right? can't be that far if we can see it" since then I don't trust landmarks and walking in Chicago. But those are some good directions. I figured the taxi would be expensive. train or walking would be the best bet.

great thanks!

me and a buddy walked from Wrigley Field to Union Station once, under the mentality "hey thats the Sears tower right? can't be that far if we can see it" since then I don't trust landmarks and walking in Chicago. But those are some good directions. I figured the taxi would be expensive. train or walking would be the best bet.
The Sears Tower. Isn't that near that other one...The Lewis tower or Wallace tower? Something like that.:sosp:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Sears Tower. Isn't that near that other one...The Lewis tower or Wallace tower? Something like that.:sosp:

The Sears Tower was purchased and was renamed The Willis Tower.
But many folks round these parts refuse to refer to it by that name.

The Sears Tower was purchased and was renamed The Willis Tower.
But many folks round these parts refuse to refer to it by that name.
I think what JE meant was: the walking directions given were for the downtown Merz location, not the Lincoln Square location (the one people seem to like at least a little better).

If you want to visit the Lincoln Square location and didn't like the walk from Wrigley to Union Station, the train directions from BJT are probably the way to go.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think what JE meant was: the walking directions given were for the downtown Merz location, not the Lincoln Square location (the one people seem to like at least a little better).

If you want to visit the Lincoln Square location and didn't like the walk from Wrigley to Union Station, the train directions from BJT are probably the way to go.

Right you are, the directions I gave are to the Palmer House Mertz, not the Lincoln Square one.
I had read JE's comment that he thought Sears Tower was near Willis Tower, but they are the same building.

Hope that clarifies things to all concerned.

And yes, the Lincoln Square Mertz is better than the Palmer House one.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
to call a spade a spade.... and i reckon im a spade.....i read JE's comment like a ribbing for calling it the Sears Tower still. my bad JE! :blink:

why not visit both! make a whole day out of it. 15 min isn't a bad walk at all to get a quick fix in, then head up to Lincoln Square for the full effect and great eateries I heard they have there. The New Year can't get here soon enough. This is definitely going to happen!

to call a spade a spade.... and i reckon im a spade.....i read JE's comment like a ribbing for calling it the Sears Tower still. my bad JE! :blink:

why not visit both! make a whole day out of it. 15 min isn't a bad walk at all to get a quick fix in, then head up to Lincoln Square for the full effect and great eateries I heard they have there. The New Year can't get here soon enough. This is definitely going to happen!
Actually I mean more as a ribbing to the idiots that are trying to rename it. To me it will always be the Sears tower. I remember seeing a newspaper article about it when it was completed. (The ironic thing though is that I've never been up in it)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

There's a great Bavarian place a few doors down from the Lincoln Square location, called the Chicago Brauhaus.

$3059460873_654a269a9b.jpg
$Chicago Brauhaus 008.jpg

Top Bottom