What's new

Chicago Pilgrimage to Merz Apothecary?

Gentlemen:

I'd like to suggest a Chicago get-together that includes a pilgrimage to Merz Apothecary - either the downtown or Lincoln Square location. Only the downtown Merz is open Sundays, if that turns out to be the best day for everyone. We can have a drink or lunch / dinner after shopping to compare our purchases.

Anyone interested?

Nick

Interested - yes. Whether I can work it out w/ the varying schedules/responsibilities at home, well that's another thing. But if I could swing it, I'd love to do it.

Downtown would probably work better for me - I'd do the Metra thing & hoof it down from Union Station.

I can't leave Merz without spending at least a couple hundred bucks and I go there a few times a month (The one on Lincoln). Went there yesterday for some blades and ended up buying a Muhle R41 (with stand) and Mitchell's woolfat soap with the bowl. It's truly a privilege to have the store so close to me or even in the same city, but you pay for that privilege....literally.
I've never been to the downtown location, but I don't think it has the inventory that the lincoln square store has.

Have you guys heard about The Great Shave event that Mertz is having? I'm thinking about going ... it's hard not to since it just up the street. I'm surprised there hasn't been any postings about it

Last edited by a moderator:
Last Saturday in October would work for me. Pretty much any Saturday works except for October 20th.

don't forget the great shave will be coming up and that might be an even better time for the chicago guys to get together. I know alot of us were there last year but did not have the chance to meet up but it might be and idea to keep on your head.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm game for a get together.
I like the Lincoln square Mertz better than the downtown one.

If you guys are interested in getting together I'm game. I won't be attending any flunky get together that charges a fee to hob knob with folks who aren't allowed to post here at B&B, but any other plans might be fun!.

Since Mertz is a block away from me, I'll defer to everyone else. Any date except 10/20 works for me.

My thinking right now is that I doubt I will go to the Great Shave event. It's only 2 blocks away, but it it on a week night and honestly I'm really bushed. I just wonder what sort of goodies will be given away and whether I'm being too hasty.

There might also be some special neighborhood events coming up. There's seems to always be something going on done by the neighborhood chamber of commerce to promote Lincoln Square. I think there may be a shop and brew thing going on for the December holiday season, either that or a Christkindl Market. They've done that for the past several years too.

Oh, and also adding that the Half Acre Brewery just up Lincoln Avenue does Saturday morning brewery tours and samplings.

Oh, and also adding that the Half Acre Brewery just up Lincoln Avenue does Saturday morning brewery tours and samplings.

+1 I actually like HA's Daisy Cutter. Not my favorite, but I drink it if it's available.

Your words are disappointing. This event was outstanding. The 20$ covered a goody bag worth over $100, all the Beer/Wine/Whiskey you can drink,
all the food you can eat, and the opportunity to meet fellow shave enthusiasts. Lynne Abrams and Mark (Mantic 59) Herro were there. Both of them have
been a fountain of information for me in my wet shave journey. The were very gracious, approachable, and a pleasure to "hob knob" with. It was really nice to shake their hands and thank them in person. I have no idea
who was banned and don't really care. I have no connection to any of them and no connection with this event other than attending last year and liking it enough
to happily pay the $20 fee which I can't imagine made them a profit. I am just an enthusiastic wet shaver who greatly appreciates all of the help I've had
from many sources, including Badger and Blade. I'm not looking to stir controversy but your post just felt so out of line to me. Perhaps there are things I don't know
that would alter my opinion of some of these characters, but for me, this was worth the money and even worth staying up way too late on a weeknight for.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Your words are disappointing. This event was outstanding. The 20$ covered a goody bag worth over $100, all the Beer/Wine/Whiskey you can drink,
all the food you can eat, and the opportunity to meet fellow shave enthusiasts. Lynne Abrams and Mark (Mantic 59) Herro were there. Both of them have
been a fountain of information for me in my wet shave journey. The were very gracious, approachable, and a pleasure to "hob knob" with. It was really nice to shake their hands and thank them in person. I have no idea
who was banned and don't really care. I have no connection to any of them and no connection with this event other than attending last year and liking it enough
to happily pay the $20 fee which I can't imagine made them a profit. I am just an enthusiastic wet shaver who greatly appreciates all of the help I've had
from many sources, including Badger and Blade. I'm not looking to stir controversy but your post just felt so out of line to me. Perhaps there are things I don't know
that would alter my opinion of some of these characters, but for me, this was worth the money and even worth staying up way too late on a weeknight for.

Glad you had a great time. Glad the parties involved found it to be a success.

But there's a distinct difference between that and permitting people who have caused problems on this site from advertising here to line their pockets from our memberships hard earned cash.
If you don't think folks made money on this deal then Google Business 101.

You've a right to not care about who has created problems here and to bask in the ethereal glow of whatever guru you please.

I've a responsibility to ensure that people who have shanked our members don't get away with it scott free to do it again.

To each their own.
Thanks for your opinion, and as I said - Glad you had fun.

I floated a suggested date of November 3rd, which is next Saturday. There wasn't any feedback. Is there any interest?

I myself would love to be able to meet some of you fellow chicago wetshavers. I am from the north (near Lake Geneva,WI) and would like to see this happen. Need the time and the date.

I apologize to everyone for starting this thread and then dropping the ball.

The truth is that I had several experiences at Merz that made me decide not to shop there anymore. They do have a nice selection of shaving stuff, but I prefer to spend my money elsewhere. My reasons are personal and I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone else from shopping there. I just don't care to go to Merz anymore myself.

If there is ever a plan for a general get-together in the Chicago area, I'm in

Nick

I would be interested in a get-together sometime, but not until after the holidays when life has a chance to calm down some.

Top Bottom