What's new

Brush recommendation?

I feel like I need a new brush. So far I have tried a Simpsons colonel, b&b boar, and a omega boar. I don't really care for the Simpsons. It hogs lather and I get a more airy foamy lather. I like the boars I have particularly the b&b. I like the creamy lather they produce over the airy one my badger gives. I am looking for something that has a good scrub and produces a creamy lather. How does pure badger preform? I have been looking at Whipped dog and semogue 620 but what else should I consider?

The 24x51 Stirling synthetic has a very nice scrub. My previous favorite was the Shave Revolution Persian Jar Stubby.
The Stubby has been relegated to backup status since I've been using the Stirling brush. The 24mm is plenty big enough for my face lathering needs. But if you prefer a larger brush they offer a 26x54 for less than $20 shipped.

For the money, the B&B boar is a lot of brush. I would not opt for the pure badger, too much "scritch" to be comfortable. How about a Vie Long horsehair brush for something different? I have one in white hair; once broken in it really works out well on soaps and creams.

Don't give up on Simpsons because you didn't like 'The Colonel'. Try one of their denser brushes like the Classic 2 or the Duke..or even a Chubby 1. There are many models for a reason.

I think this is a perfect question and opportunity for Whipped Dog. Call Larry. Like on an actual phone. Not like Rocky calling Paulie out a window.

If I were looking for another boar it would likely be the SOC! You are looking at some excellent options.

I'm not a big fan of too much scritch and absolutely love my Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip. Tons of backbone and the softest tips. But if you are looking for something with a bit of scratch, and if you like a larger brush and don't pay attention to those who turn their noses up at Pure Badger, I can recommend the Parker King Size Pure Badger brush with green marbleized handle. The knot is 26mm at the base and fans out nicely. Yet it has some backbone. I particularly like using it when I have skipped a day or two between shaves. And it isn't going to take a second mortgage to acquire one. Under $35 on Amazon.

proxy.php

Amazon.com: Parker Safety Razor KING SIZE 100% Pure Badger Bristle Shaving Brush -- Brush Stand Included w: Health & Personal Care

On the subject of pure badger, I have to say that my Art of Shaving pure badger travel brush that came in the travel kit my wife bought me is actually softer and feels better than the Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush of similar size that I bought thinking that I wanted to see what the next step up from pure would be like. So, you never really know how any particular brush is going to perform until you try it. Just sayin'.

Don't give up on your Simpson's Colonel X2L. It's an excellent brush. I can also wholeheartedly recommend the Simpson's Special Best, Semogue 610, RazoRock Plissoft, and RazoRock Plissoft Silvertip.

IMG_1827.JPG

Terrific line up! I also endorse those Simpsons (as well as the 46 in that general price range).

Oy. That oversize pure Parker was a brush I tried and quickly sold. YMMV. Too big, too prickly, too mop like for moi. But hey, there is a brush for every mug, and a mug for every brush.

Top Bottom