What's new

Bootleggers 7 Parts Series

Big thanks goes out to [MENTION=32898]OkieStubble[/MENTION] for sending me his 7 samples of his Bootleggers Homebrew pictured here:

$IMG_5983.jpg

My plan is to do a short review on each one, I plan on using a neutral soap like MWF with all of them so I can get a good feel for the post shave from each one using the same soap, hopefully can start as early as tomorrow.

Thanks again Rob, super generous of you to do this for me !!!

Started shave #1 this a.m with the first of seven in the lineup of Bootleggers that [MENTION=32898]OkieStubble[/MENTION] was so generous to gift me.

Razor: Wacker Chevalier
Strop: Kanayama
Scuttle\Bowl: DB Bill Bowl
Soap: MWF
Brush: WW Custom Badger
Aftershave: Bootleggers Bay Rum
Balm: Neutrogena
Talc: Clubman

I will be using the same soap to go thru all seven samples and one of several straights, MWF is for me an excellent performer and has what I call a netrual scent so it should not alter the aftershave scent much and by keeping it the same for all shaves it will give me a fairly good idea on post shave.

Today was #1 ( Original Bootleggers ) from what I can gather the ingredients are listed below from what I can find:

1 Part: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
1 Part: Master Bay Rum
1 Part: Superior 70 Bay Rum

First off I really love Clubman VIBR but the post shave burn is a tad on the high side, this version however is what I class as a milder sweeter VIBR, the scent has much softer notes that are in VIBR and to me sweeter with a softer clove and spicyness, after my shave I gave a fair splash from the doser bottle and applied and my first impressions was the burn that I normally get with VIBR is pretty much gone and you are left with a softer spicy clove bay rum that leaves a very nice feel to the skin and provides an almost immediate claming effect with out the use of a balm but I appled a balm like always and will use the same one for testing all samples ( Neutrogena ) once I appled the balm the post shave feel was super and even as I write this 2 hrs after my shave the post shave is excellent with no irratation, the scent seems to have faded quicker than the VIBR but I can still smell hints of clove, all in all if this were available to purchase I would not think twice on getting it .

Stay tuned for #2

View attachment 716575

William, as a new Bootlegger's Bay Rum fan (my only bootlegger's experience so far), you've really nailed it in your well written review.

Like you I was a fan of the scent of Pinaud's VI Bay Rum, yet I found last year that I hardly ever used it (with the exception of mixing it 50/50 with RazoRock Evil Eye or Pinaud's Lime Sec).

I can't believe the quality of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum, particularly complexity of the scent and it's moisturizing qualities.

Tomorrow was going to be review #2 but I forgot it's traditional Old Spice Sunday with a vintage shovelhead so will have to resume on Monday but after tomorrow i will be committed thru the remainder of the 6 left.

Okay Gents this is round #2

Razor: Filarmonica EPBD
Strop: Kanayama
Scuttle\Bowl: DB Bill Bowl
Soap: MWF
Brush: WW Custom Badger
Aftershave: Bootleggers Lime
Balm: Neutrogena
Talc: Clubman

$IMG_5991.jpg

Not sure what's going on but I am really liking the Bootlegger series so far from [MENTION=32898]OkieStubble[/MENTION], this mornings shave was done with a freshly honed EPBD Fili, it honestly did not need honing but I love keeping my skill for honing in check so i took her back to the 4/8K Sharpton's then finished on a Narutaki Asagi and Kanayama leather but this series is not about honing it's about Bootlegger's

The first was Original Bay Rum and this one is the same but with on one additional ingredient listed below:

1 Part: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
1 Part: Master Bay Rum
1 Part: Superior 70 Bay Rum
1 Part: Pinaud Citrus Musk

It has the addition of Pinaud Cirus Musk, I can honestly say I have never really been a fan of citrus pine styles of aftershave, like musk but not citrus, I honestly cannot really smell the musk but the citrus is very light and to be really honest very darn pleasant, like I said I started with a freshly honed blade but I don't think it mattered, I used the MWF soap as same as the first and will continua to use it thru the remainder of the samples, MWF is a great performer for me but it's the "After the shave" feeling i am really liking, the post shave of the EDPD is always pleasant and a good amount of slickness remains but then I shook a good amount of the Bootleggers Lime into my palm and went after it, post shave burn was almost none as most know the VBIR gives a good burn with all the alcohol but this was minimal and had a immediate calming affect and then I applied my balm which honestly was not needed but the two combined gave such a great post shave and then after I was all done with my post shave habit of stropping and such I gave another good splash of the Bootleggers lime and am amazed at how much I am really liking the smell and feeling on my face. As far as it goes so far if these were available to purchase I would be standing in line, i will have to same so far i might prefer the Original over the lime just a tad more but for no other reason than I don't like lime that much but as far as the post shave feel it's amazing !!!!

OkieStubble, during your initial experiments with the Bootleger's aftershaves. have you ever tried the Bootlegger's Lime using Pinaud Lime instead of Citrus Musk? I am curious if how the two might compare.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
OkieStubble, during your initial experiments with the Bootlegger's aftershaves. have you ever tried the Bootlegger's Lime using Pinaud Lime instead of Citrus Musk? I am curious if how the two might compare.

Do you mean the Pinaud Lime Sec? If so, I can tell you, that during my experiments with the Bootlegger's Lime scent, I tried:

Pinaud Lime Sec
Stephens Lime
Gabels Lime
Boosters Lime
Royall Lime
And even tried Some St. Johns West Indian. Which pained me to do because of it's price, but curiosity got the best of me. At the time of it's creation which is years ago now, I didn't want to do, just another lime bay rum for the sake of another lime bay rum. Dominica, Ogallala, all have an earthy, or darker type lime bay rum scent.

I wanted something bright and airy, something that would make you stand up and take notice. I think (Tony), @August West, once described it best in his personal review of it as a " Pezzy" lime bay rum. I felt like the citrus musk, synergized with the bay rum perfectly in order to accomplish this. :)

As far as the two comparing, they don't at all. The Lime Sec, goes well with Osage Rub for the Artic Lime Blast, as the OR dilutes the over the top sweetness of the Lime Sec while the Lime Sec, masks the medicinal scent of the Osage Rub. But the very sweet and dark green color of Lime Sec does not blend well with the Original Bay Rum.

Neither, enhances or synergizes with the other. The sum, has to always be greater than the individual parts.

Last edited:
Get a room you two! 😄 Ha! Ha! Yes, I did mean Pinaud Lime Sec, Rob. Senior moment! It's good to hear some of the experimenting you did to come up with this excellent product. Thanks for the peek into your laboratory!

Top Bottom