What's new

Bootleggers 7 Parts Series

Great thread - I have always wanted to try the bootlegger series, so I love hearing about them all. I haven't tried most of the individual ingredients though and would not have the materials to make any Bootleggers. But one day I may have to seek them out.
[MENTION=32898]OkieStubble[/MENTION] have you continued to experiment with new flavors?

Well today was Perfecto Virgina, #3 in the series.

Razor: Tanifuji
Strop: Kanayama
Scuttle\Bowl: DB Bill Bowl
Soap: MWF
Brush: WW Custom Badger
Aftershave: Perfecto Virginia
Balm: Neutrogena
Talc: Clubman

From what info i have found Perfecto Virginia is comprised of the following:

1 Part: Master Bay Rum
1 Part: Superior 70 Bay Rum
1 Part: Vito's Colonia Tobacco

Again as I stated earlier on I would be using the same routine (Straight razor, soap, balm) the MWF performed as usual and the Tanifuji provide an irritation free shave, well unless you count me clipping my cheek bone with the edge, no blood just a scrape, anyway lets talk about the Perfecto Virginia, the bay rum scent is very, very light and very fresh with no burn, i could easily see this as a summertime blend, the tobacco smell seems not very strong but is still lightly present, kinda reminds me of a very, very light Clubman SR without the heaviness my Uncle as i was growing up smoked a pipe like all the time and as i faintly remember i would put this smell with his pipe tobacco but not as heavy , I would have to pair this with a cologne as the scent seems to quickly disappear but then again it just might be my nose that does not smell it, post shave before using the balm was very comfortable and only had a slight burn on the area I scraped with the blade but nowhere else and again post shave an hour later is BBS, the scent even though very light is still moderately present, i will have to say so far I would place them in order of preference of #2, #1, #3

Stay tuned for #4

View attachment 717308

I've tried a couple of bootlegger's blends and El Dorado is one of the greatest scents know. I'm subscribing to this thread!

Well today was Perfecto Virgina, #3 in the series.

Razor: Tanifuji
Brush: WW Custom Badger
Aftershave: Perfecto Virginia

From what info i have found Perfecto Virginia is comprised of the following:

Again as I stated earlier on I would be using the same routine (Straight razor, soap, balm) the MWF performed as usual and the Tanifuji provide an irritation free shave, well unless you count me clipping my cheek bone with the edge, no blood just a scrape, anyway lets talk about the Perfecto Virginia, the bay rum scent is very, very light and very fresh with no burn, i could easily see this as a summertime blend, the tobacco smell seems not very strong but is still lightly present, kinda reminds me of a very, very light Clubman SR without the heaviness my Uncle as i was growing up smoked a pipe like all the time and as i faintly remember i would put this smell with his pipe tobacco but not as heavy , I would have to pair this with a cologne as the scent seems to quickly disappear but then again it just might be my nose that does not smell it, post shave before using the balm was very comfortable and only had a slight burn on the area I scraped with the blade but nowhere else and again post shave an hour later is BBS, the scent even though very light is still moderately present, i will have to say so far I would place them in order of preference of #2, #1, #3

Stay tuned for #4

View attachment 717308

My favorite.

Great review.

i will have to say so far I would place them in order of preference of #2, #1, #3

Had a mixup posting my preference in order, it actually would be #1, #3, #2 ( Not a huge lime fan but still is very pleasant )

Well it keeps getting better and better, today was Bootlegger #4, Perfecto Manduro and as of right now this one moves to the top of the list it's a very dark sister to #3 Perfecto Virginia, the tobacco smoky leafy smell is very pronounced but not overly strong, post shave as with the rest has been outstanding and just a touch of burn but only a few seconds in a few areas, it to like #3 has the scent of Clubman SR but is a softer mellower one that is very pleasant and my skin is very smooth without drying so there was no need for balm but to keep things fair I did use the same one I have been using so on to #5, again I cannot thank [MENTION=32898]OkieStubble[/MENTION] enough for taking the time to send these to me to try, I wish several were available in stores as I would more than likely get them.

Razor: Wacker Jungmeister
Brush: Vie-Long
Aftershave: Perfecto Manduro

View attachment 717647

Gentle correction. Not manduro but maduro. It's a dark colored cigar wrapper leaf.

Thanks, I see that now after looking on Wiki aslo forgot to list the ingredients, getting slow in my old age :w00t:

½ Part: Pinaud Special Reserve

Well, Gents here we go again with #5 in the series and it's Green Freeze, listed below are the ingredients. I was on a roll with the first four but have to say this is the least favorite for me, when I first splashed it on i felt like i had rubbed ice cubes on my face and even though this would be an excellent splash for summer the scent left behind reminded me of like a Vicks vapor rub, not sure what Mennen Skin Bracer smells like by itself but I am thinking this would be my last choice so far if no even taking it off my list, post shave was faboulous even after just about a minute but applied my balm like the rest and here I sit 30 mins later with still a slight cooling affect to my skin and a very slight menthol scent that seems to be disappearing rather quickly, I also smell a very light powdery smell but not sure, don't smell any of the other scents mentioned is the description from Wiki but more than likely my nose, anyway for those looking for a very chilling splash in the summer with a quickly disappearing scent this would be great, maybe after follow up with a matching cologne of some sore but I can't recommend one as I don't wear cologne.

So as far as my order preference it would be #4, #3, #1, #2, #5 and not sure i would even keep #5 on the list but then again it took me some time to warm of to "The Veg" and now it's one of my favorites.

1 Part: Osage Rub
1 Part: Mennen Skin Bracer

Razor: Rathburn Bros.
Strop: TM Fast Bridle
Brush: Semogue
Aftershave: Green Freeze

View attachment 717882

Last edited:
Well, Gents here we go again with #5 in the series and it's Green Freeze, listed below are the ingredients. I was on a roll with the first four but have to say this is the least favorite for me, when I first splashed it on i felt like i had rubbed ice cubes on my face and even though this would be an excellent splash for summer the scent left behind reminded me of like a Vicks vapor rub, not sure what Mennen Skin Bracer smells like by itself but I am thinking this would be my last choice so far if no even taking it off my list, post shave was faboulous even after just about a minute but applied my balm like the rest and here I sit 30 mins later with still a slight cooling affect to my skin and a very slight menthol scent that seems to be disappearing rather quickly, I also smell a very light powdery smell but not sure, don't smell any of the other scents mentioned is the description from Wiki but more than likely my nose, anyway for those looking for a very chilling splash in the summer with a quickly disappearing scent this would be great, maybe after follow up with a matching cologne of some sore but I can't recommend one as I don't wear cologne.

So as far as my order preference it would be #4, #3, #1, #2, #5 and not sure i would even keep #5 on the list but then again it took me some time to warm of to "The Veg" and now it's one of my favorites.

1 Part: Osage Rub
1 Part: Mennen Skin Bracer

Razor: Rathburn Bros.
Strop: TM Fast Bridle
Brush: Semogue
Aftershave: Green Freeze

View attachment 717882

Not my favorite either, but I would revisit when it starts to really heat up in The Lone Star State.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think it would be hard judging Green Freeze and Artic Lime Blast, if comparing them to the rich, dark, manly scents of the other Bootlegger's during the colder months.

They are definitely much more appreciated when it is hot, humid and sticky outside and only compare them to other menthol products.

Great job on the reviews will! :)

Not my favorite either, but I would revisit when it starts to really heat up in The Lone Star State.

I do like AV Ice blue in the summer here as well as Florida Water so maybe I will, the scent now after a few hours seems to have remained slightly and now has a powdery light vanilla smell but not very strong.

I do like AV Ice blue in the summer here as well as Florida Water so maybe I will, the scent now after a few hours seems to have remained slightly and now has a powdery light vanilla smell but not very strong.

Absolutely. That is the typical Skin Bracer dry down. Combined with The Rub it gives off a great deal of powder. I guess I can't hide the fact I am a bit of a Bootlegger's fanboy. :lol:

I think it would be hard judging Green Freeze and Artic Lime Blast, if comparing them to the rich, dark, manly scents of the other Bootlegger's during the colder months.

They are definitely much more appreciated when it is hot, humid and sticky outside and only compare them to other menthol products.

Great job on the reviews will! :)

I am really enjoying all of them as they all bring somthing different and maybe I will appreciate the Green Freeze more when it's hot here which is 99% of the time, I have never been a great review person but have really enjoyed do this.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
the scent now after a few hours seems to have remained slightly and now has a powdery light vanilla smell but not very strong.

Which is perfect for summer. A "light" & "powdery vanilla scent? I love it when a plan comes together... ;)

The strong smell you detected during the initial application, goes away as soon as the menthol evaporates. :)

Top Bottom