What's new

Blades similar to Iridiums and Bolzanos

I want to get some blades for a friend. He has mentioned that Iridiums and Bolzanos are his favorites primarily because he finds them smooth and they are long lasting. I saw hundred packs of the Iridiums in a local market some months back but can't seem to find them now. If a member has used these blades, could they please advise as to which of the following most closely match the above mentioned brands:
  1. Gillette Yellows
  2. Gillette Blue Super Platinum
  3. Gillette Green Super Stainless
  4. Gillette Goal Stainless (India)
  5. Rapira Stainless
  6. Feather
  7. Supermax Super Platinum
  8. Lord Super Stainless
  9. Lord Super Chrome
  10. Treet Platinum
  11. Treet Silver
  12. Treet black beauties
I really want to get the right kind of blades for my friend so I'd appreciate the help.

Treet has discontinued Black Beauties. Durasharp Carbons have replaced them in the line-up.

You should also add Polsilvers on your list. They may be NOS now, but I am not sure. At least they can still be bought in larger quantities.

Treet has discontinued Black Beauties. Durasharp Carbons have replaced them in the line-up.

No, the black beauties are still around, here in Pakistan anyway.

The answer I was looking for is a bit subjective, I guess. Since IMHO blades are the most YMMV prone part of the shave setup, I was hoping some gentleman had used the Iridiums and/or Bolzanos plus some of the brands from my list and had perhaps found similar traits among them.

Gee, not to be a goofball, but none of those come to mind when I think of an iridium comparison.
The one that does (fitting with your two attributes), and it's a blade that I really like a lot, is Souplex.
They're a bit expensive, but well worth it.
-- Chet

Oh!, forgot to mention ...
When I was looking for an Iridium replacement, I found a cheaper blade that worked surprisingly well:
Treet Durashap Classic Silver Edge
... I didn't expect it, but they are very good.
-- Chet

Last edited:
Gee, not to be a goofball, but none of those come to mind when I think of an iridium comparison.

So the Iridium's popularity has more to do with them being smooth since I also list feathers in the original post.

When I was looking for an Iridium replacement, I found a cheaper blade that worked surprisingly well:
Treet Durashap Classic Silver Edge
... I didn't expect it, but they are very good.

Thanks, that was exactly the input I was looking for. I have attached a pic, you mean these right?

$Treet-Durasharps.jpg

Thanks, that was exactly the input I was looking for. I have attached a pic, you mean these right?

View attachment 225002

Iridiums are popular because they are sharp and smooth. I would stress that I think that Souplex is probably the closest thing to an Iridium in current production. If you're looking to go cheaper, the Treet Durasharp Classic Silver Edge is also a good blade, in my opinion. The reviews don't completely agree with me, I should point out. The blade I'm talking about is this one (credit to shoeboxshave):
-- Chet

Attachments

• $treet_durasharp_classic_silver_edge.jpg
    $treet_durasharp_classic_silver_edge.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 142
Iridiums are popular because they are sharp and smooth. I would stress that I think that Souplex is probably the closest thing to an Iridium in current production. If you're looking to go cheaper, the Treet Durasharp Classic Silver Edge is also a good blade, in my opinion. The reviews don't completely agree with me, I should point out. The blade I'm talking about is this one (credit to shoeboxshave):
-- Chet

I already bought a hundred of the yellow durasharps, a hundred black beauties and some other Treet blades for him yesterday, problem with Souplex isn't the cost but availability here. I also thought about getting him some Voskhods and Ladas but I'm sure he hasn't tried Treet blades yet so he's bound to like some of them, something new to add to his stash. What do you think?

I find Bolzanos are Polsilvers that last much longer. Same thing about Timors and Iridiums.

Enjoy your shave.

Phil

I already bought a hundred of the yellow durasharps, a hundred black beauties and some other Treet blades for him yesterday, problem with Souplex isn't the cost but availability here. I also thought about getting him some Voskhods and Ladas but I'm sure he hasn't tried Treet blades yet so he's bound to like some of them, something new to add to his stash. What do you think?

As for Souplex, it looks like Shaving.ie used to have them, at one point, but I don't see any price on them now:
http://www.shaving.ie/products/Souplex-Double-Edge-Blades.html

They might be out, but check out those high-praise reviews!

They are good enough to buy a 100-count box, though. You can place an order here:
http://www.scherenprofi.com/10-pcs-of-souplex-razor-blades

I don't know if shipping from Germany to Pakistan will be a problem, or how long it might take if there are no problems, but they're worth the price if you want to take the plunge. My recommendation holds.

Honestly, I think you're on the right path, with regard to the Treets. I've got a fistful of the Voskhods and Ladas blades myself, but I have yet to try them, so I can't speak from experience as to how they shave. My recollection is that people have found them to be very good. Maybe swing him a pack of each?

Anyhow, variety is the spice of life, and you can't go wrong with what you've laid out. Trying new things is fun, all by itself.
Hope it helps,
-- Chet

Chester, thanks for the articulate reply. I have previously tried to order from UK and USA based suppliers but the ones I tried either wouldn't accept my payment or asked me to order more than I needed before they considered shipping but I will try the German store you mentioned since my interest is piqued in the Souplex blades now. I am very lucky though since I can get most of the best regarded blades locally at great prices, I will be getting about 500 Polsilvers and/or Iridiums from a local supplier in 3 weeks.

It is so frustrating to gauge what blades someone else would like, trawling the forum for reviews is an exercise in futility since a blade is adored in one thread and hated in the next. I personally hate Gillette yellows but love the greens. I just wish I can find a courier who wouldn't look at me funny when I mention shipping blades so I can begin my PIFs.

@ stfly; if you want to try Souplex before buying them by the hundreds I could send you some if you like. Assuming our postal service has no problems finding your address....

talibeard, Thank you so much for that generous offer but I couldn't possibly put you through the trouble. Thanks again for the thought though, I truly appreciate it.

talibeard, Thank you so much for that generous offer but I couldn't possibly put you through the trouble. Thanks again for the thought though, I truly appreciate it.

You are welcome. When/if you change your mind just give me a PM and if not, good luck in your search!

I recently tried a pack of Lord Super Stainless, and they are very, very close to the Iridiums in quality of shave. I plan to order some in bulk. I find the recommendation of the Treet Dura Sharp interesting. I tried one of these, and it was not good at all (I rated 4/10). I don't doubt the person who recommended it though, and think this may be an example of batch-to-batch variability within a given brand. I will try another one to see if it is better.

I recently tried a pack of Lord Super Stainless, and they are very, very close to the Iridiums in quality of shave. I plan to order some in bulk. I find the recommendation of the Treet Dura Sharp interesting. I tried one of these, and it was not good at all (I rated 4/10). I don't doubt the person who recommended it though, and think this may be an example of batch-to-batch variability within a given brand. I will try another one to see if it is better.

This is what vexes me. Now I have about 200 of these Lord Super Stainless but (for me) they only last for two shaves and the razor has to be right to achieve a semi-DFS. Then there are Lord Super Chromes, I absolutely hated them in every razor but I tried them in a Chinese TTO and they performed very very well. There are so many variables involved in blade performance...skin/razor type, angle, pressure etc,. all recommendations end up being purely personal and subjective.

Last edited:
It is typical YMMV. The Lord Super Stainless (the blue/white version) is my fav blade and about the only blade that I can use ATG on the second pass. I get 3 good shaves out of them, which is good for my standards, and they are neither the sharpest nor the smoothest blade I ever tried but they give me feedback during the shave like no other and are great on the trouble-spots in my neck (with the grain in all directions).

I was not too fond of the Lord Platinum Class till I tried them in more aggressive razors and there they were simply great.

It is typical YMMV. The Lord Super Stainless (the blue/white version) is my fav blade and about the only blade that I can use ATG on the second pass.

I agree about it being not too sharp and not too dull. But my definition of smooth is hot knife through butter without the burn, and I get that result with Gillette Greens lasting 3 comfortable shaves upto 4-5.

If I can find a solution to my shipping conundrum here, perhaps we can arrange a trade.

Top Bottom