What's new

Blade Wars: Wilkinson Sword Classic (Germany) vs Wilkinson Stainless Sword-Edge (England)

Shave 16
Face lathered with IB Amici
blue=right, silver=left

Pass 1 - Blue felt a little sharper than silver. The silver razor was tugging on my chin.
Pass 2 - Silver glided more easily - felt a little smoother than blue.

Another serviceable shave. Another tie.

Followed with P&G Old Spice

Blue is taking a slight advantage. Silver is tired and struggles against the harder whiskers.
I guess the end of this fantastic face-off is near.

Shave 17 - The Finale
silver=right, blue=left
Face lathered with my all-time favorite cream, TOBS St. James. It was the first non bargain-basement cream I ever bought, and I still love it.

Pass 1 - Silver was smooth and comfortable. Blue had some tugging.
Pass 2 - Silver was utterly smooth. Blue dragged.
Pass 3 - Silver was, again, very, very smooth. Considering the mileage it has on it, I found the pass remarkable. Blue wasn't bad, but there was some pulling.

I have 4 weepers and some razor burn, so I'm going to call this one. At this point, not only do I not know which blade is in which razor, but I'm not entirely sure which blade won the blade war.

Followed with some Thayer's Lemon to cool the burning, Old Spice because I love it, and some Lubriderm 3 in 1 moisturizer.

For this shave, the silver was significantly better than the blue.

Tallying the results.

After 17 shaves, there were 8 ties.
There were 5 times when I thought one blade had a slight advantage over the other. 3 times the leader was blue, two times the leader was silver.
There were two times when I thought one blade simply won. One went to blue, the other silver.
There were two shaves in which one blade won a clear victory. Both of those shaves were with the silver razor.

I think the two best shaves I got in the entire blade war were the first two shaves with blue. I think the two worst shaves I got (#13 and 17) were also with the blue.

To say this one is close is an understatement. But when you choose to write a blade war thread, or command a nuclear submarine, or some other position of leadership and/or prominence, sometimes you have to put on your big boy pants and make a decision.

Because of it's remarkably slow rate of degradation - the 17th shave felt almost the same as the first few - the winner is an ultra smooth customer: SILVER

THE REVEAL

In a decision bound to spark controversy...

The winner of the battle of the Wilkies...

Is the blade in the silver razor...

Make your prediction now...

The betting window is now closed.

From Germany, the Wilkinson Sword Classic.

I need to buy a few cartons before it's too late! :wacko:

proxy.php

I like the German Wilkinsons, one of my most used blades. But I am surprised at the result. Heard so much about the vintage Wilkinsons, I went out and purchased a few tucks. I'm currently shaving with a Super Sword Edge and while I'm not doing a direct comparison with the German Wilkie, it will be interesting to see how longevity of the Sword Edge blade develops.

Way to hang in there for a marathon Blade War! With this one being longer than any other it piqued my curiousity more than the rest. At times I was thinking "Oh come ON! One of you just take a dive already!" Seriously though, your Blade War threads are great reads, and this one may very well be the best so far.

Way to hang in there for a marathon Blade War! With this one being longer than any other it piqued my curiousity more than the rest. At times I was thinking "Oh come ON! One of you just take a dive already!" Seriously though, your Blade War threads are great reads, and this one may very well be the best so far.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Very interesting. I have a few shaves on a German one, but decided to try a Nacet for the One Blade in Feb. Challenge, and have not finished with it yet. Once it's finally done (on shave 31 tomorrow) I'll see just how long a German Wilkinson will last me! Looks like it was a good idea to buy 100 of them, and I may just buy 100 more if it lasts like yours did. Gotta say, though, I don't really need any more blades.....

Very interesting. I have a few shaves on a German one, but decided to try a Nacet for the One Blade in Feb. Challenge, and have not finished with it yet. Once it's finally done (on shave 31 tomorrow) I'll see just how long a German Wilkinson will last me! Looks like it was a good idea to buy 100 of them, and I may just buy 100 more if it lasts like yours did. Gotta say, though, I don't really need any more blades.....
I don't need any more blades either, but knowing myself, I'm sure I'll pick up 100 when I see a good deal somewhere.

CW what's next?
I'm not sure yet. I might put my "which is the best Personna blade" question to rest by putting Med Preps against Israeli Reds. I also have a Kai blade I've been itching to try. Then again, I love all the Russian blades and wouldn't mind taking a couple for a spin. So many choices....

Top Bottom