What's new

Blade Wars: Wilkinson Sword Classic (Germany) vs Wilkinson Stainless Sword-Edge (England)

Till now i have tried two different uk made wilkinson sword blades and no one was better than the german ones.
The one is the following:
proxy.php

It has the "5" written above the wilkinson logo and i think they are made around 2000-2 era.The other one i've tried is older but then again it was not even close to the German made wilkies.
I want to try the light brigade blades but they are very difficult to purchase.Also the price is very high as expected!

I've used at least thirty different blades, and at least half a dozen vintage blades. In general, I've preferred the vintage blades, which I find smoother and last much, much longer. While the Personna 74s are great, I was surprised to find two blades which, for me at least, even better: Wilkinson Sword-Edge and Schick Super Stainless. I'm looking forward to seeing how your battle turns out, including the longevity of the blades.

Shave 5
Face lathered with Maca Root
silver=right, blue=left

Pass 1 - Both razors gave me a good pass. Blue glided along a little more easily, particularly near my chin.
Pass 2 - Again, blue was a little smoother.

Followed with Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel and Nivea Men Sensitive Balm

slight advantage: blue

Shave 6
blue=right side, silver=left side
Face lathered with TOBS Sandalwood soap

A two-pass evening shave tonight. On the first pass it felt like the silver razor was gliding a little more smoothly than the blue until it hit my chin, where it slowed down somewhat. The second pass was virtually identical (and very nice.)

Followed with Florida Water and Lubriderm moisturizer.

This one is a tie.

Shave 7
Face lathered with Stirling Arkadia
silver=right, blue=left

I had a very nice two-pass shave before going out to dinner with my wife and friends. On the first pass, the silver razor seemed a tiny bit smoother. On the second pass, the blue seemed to glide a bit more effortlessly.

This shave is a tie.

Followed with Son of Zeus aftershave and a couple of squirts of Terre d'Hermes EDT.

Shave 8
Face lathered with Tabac
blue=right, silver=left

After two very good passes, I could have been done. I had a very good shave. At the end of two, I would have called it a tie. I decided to do a third pass to break the tie.

The third pass was great. Very slight resistance with each blade - nice and smooth. Neither felt sharper or smoother than the other.

Followed with Pinaud V. I. Bay Rum and Nivea cooling balm.

Another tie.

Shave 9
Face lathered with AOS Lemon cream
sliver=right, blue=left

A nice two-pass shave this morning. Both passes were good. On both passes the silver razor cut slightly more smoothly than the blue.

Followed with Pinaud Citrus Musk

slight advantage: silver

This is the first blade war I'm following "live" after I've spent a great time reading the past editions.
It surely is the most entertaining "series" I have read on any forum!:ouch1:
Great job CW and thank you for the fun!!:a14:

I thought the vintage Wilkie would have had a quick and easy victory but the new one is doing really great. I haven't tried one yet, I guess it's time to order a few tucks.:thumbsup:

This is the first blade war I'm following "live" after I've spent a great time reading the past editions.
It surely is the most entertaining "series" I have read on any forum!:ouch1:
Great job CW and thank you for the fun!!:a14:

I thought the vintage Wilkie would have had a quick and easy victory but the new one is doing really great. I haven't tried one yet, I guess it's time to order a few tucks.:thumbsup:
That's kind of you to say. I'm glad you enjoy the thread. I don't know which one of these blades is the German one that is still in production - but whichever one it is, it is certainly a very good blade.

Shave 10
blue=right, silver-left
Face lathered with AOS Sandalwood cream

Another very good two-pass shave today. Both blades were smooth and clean during both passes. Both blades still feel sharp.

Another tie.

Followed with some Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum splash and am ready to face the day.

I haven't been following this until today, I really missed out. This is a great battle and as always your write ups are entertaining and informative.

Wilkinson Swords were one of the blades that I learned to shave with way back in the late 70s. I don't recall too much about them and I haven't used one since my senior year in HS.

Shave 11
Face lathered with Soap Commander Vision
silver=right, blue=left

Another good two-pass shave this morning. The silver blade felt very smooth on both passes. It isn't as sharp as it once was, but then again, neither am I. The blue felt a tiny bit sharper - I could feel the blade cutting. But it also had a little resistance that I did not experience with the silver.

I have a socially acceptable shave with no irritation. In their current condition, I would need a third pass to get a great shave out of these blades.

End result: another tie.

Followed with Citrus Musk.

Top Bottom