What's new

Blade Wars: Wilkinson Sword Classic (Germany) vs Wilkinson Stainless Sword-Edge (England)

Shave 12
blue=right, silver=left
face lathered with RR XXX

I did a two-pass shave again this morning, with similar results. Both blades are losing that sharp feeling, but are still giving me a pretty good shave. No irritation to speak of. They feel a little different from each other. The silver sort of feels like it glides over the whiskers while the I can feel the blue cutting. The results are identical.

Advantage: Tie

Followed with some Captain's Choice Sandalwood splash.

Wouldn't it be funny if you opened it up and found the same blade in both razors... Like the wife tricked you when loading and didn't use two different blades :001_rolle
:mad2:

German blades don't work for me, that's why I never bought a Wilkinson tuck before (also because they are pricier than many great russian blades).
After 11 shaves nobody knows which one will win this blade war and that says the german modern Wilkinson can keep up in quality with the praised vintage Super Sword Edge.

In the cart they go :thumbup1:

German blades don't work for me, that's why I never bought a Wilkinson tuck before (also because they are pricier than many great russian blades).
After 11 shaves nobody knows which one will win this blade war and that says the german modern Wilkinson can keep up in quality with the praised vintage Super Sword Edge.

In the cart they go :thumbup1:
I haven't had much luck with German-made Mekur or Bolzano blades, but liked Wilkinson Swords the other time I tried them.

Shave 13
silver=right, blue=left
Face lathered with Arko and my trusty Semogue 2000 brush. I haven't used that brush in a long time, and I have been missing out. It felt fantastic.

The end is near.

I did a three-pass shave this afternoon. All three passes shared the same quality. The silver was smooth (but doesn't feel sharp) and the blue dragged. I don't think the blue has anything left in the tank. I'll give it one more go out of respect.

Followed with Aqua Velva and Nivea Sensitive Cooling Balm.

Clear advantage: silver.

You make these "Blade Wars" really interesting CW. Great stuff, thank you. :thumbup:
I'm enjoying your fixed 4 for March thread, Cal. You've stirred up some lively discussion and have gotten some awesome SOTD photos. Good stuff.

Shave 14
blue=right, silver=left
Face lathered with Proraso green

I thought this would be it for the blue, but I was wrong. The blue razor did fine. On both passes, the silver was ever so slightly smoother, but not enough so to put this blade war to rest.

Very slight advantage: silver

Followed with Aqua Velva and Nivea balm

Is this the longest blade war ever? Going for the 15th and maybe final round!
I was one of those who thought this was going to be an early knock out!

Shave 15
Face lathered with Tabac (When you give Tabac plenty of water, it rewards you.)
silver=right, blue=left

I didn't set out with the intention of joining the Excalibur Club.... I did a two-pass shave this morning. The silver blade did just fine. Nice and smooth. The blue was also very good. In fact, it feels a little sharper, but not quite as smooth, as the silver. I can feel the blade cutting, which is satisfying. Once again, I have a perfectly acceptable, irritation-free shave.

Advantage: tie

Followed with some Barbasol balm.

It's still on.

I can't wait for my first Wilkinson "Classic" tucks to arrive (crossing the ocean atm). I see on the popular auction site some Wilkinson Chromium at reasonable prices. Those should be quite similar (if not equal) to the legendary Light Brigades and certainly superior to the fantastic actors of this breathtaking challenge. I might drop some dollars on them.

I see on the popular auction site some Wilkinson Chromium at reasonable prices.

I have only found one listing with proper chromium blades and they were sitting well outside my price limit. Lots and lots of listings for the Sword-Edge type. I recently scored a couple packs of Light Brigades missing the cardboard backing.

On topic: I'm surprised to see a modern Wilkinson last 7.5 full shaves. I'm not sure I'd even push the Sword-Edge blade much that far in my own use.

Yes, those and
and
German Chromium, no clue how good they are, not too bad 100 NOS blades at $50
Vintage Wilkinson Sword Black, NOS 100 pack, safety razor blades, rare | eBay

Thanks. The first was a search term fail on my part. Sword master and associated chromiums are tops for me after every modern and vintage blade I've ever tried.

As for that second listing, I've been trying to figure that one out for weeks now. That listing has popped up a number of times. I wasn't going to gamble $50 to end up with more Sword-Edge blades, just in German packaging. I have plenty of those already.

Top Bottom