What's new

Bit the bullet and ordered a Asylum Evolution DE Razor

Very good review. I better get my credit car and put it in a tub of water and stick it in my freezer before I do something stupid like seeing when the next shipment of Evolutions come in.

Thank you. Keep thinking: self restraint is a good thing....

I shaved with the Asylum Evolution this afternoon, using the supplied Astra Superior Platinum blade.

Made of 303 stainless steel the razor handle is 78mm in length; its overall length is 85mm; and its weigh is 77g.
It is a small razor, about the size of a Gillette Super Speed, but it does have a nice weight. Its balance point is between the first and second groove of the handle.

There is no awkwardness to the Darwin-inspired handle. It fits comfortably in my grip with my little finger supporting the rounded base. The handle edge above the first groove is pointed and a bit sharp if you hold it wrong. It's not sharp enough to break the skin but it is a bit uncomfortable.

The handle tightens securely, the shaft going completely through the top cap, and holds the aligned blade snugly.

I would prefer to have more groves on the bar guard but that was no real problem for me. During the first pass there was build up in the lather slots which took a bit of water to clear. I attribute that to the thickness of my lather. On subsequent passes I added a little more water to the brush tips and no more build up.

There was little blade feel but audible feedback was evident. The Evolution was very comfortable during the shave and easily maneuverable.

After the first pass I could tell I was going to get a very good, close shave. With minimal cleanup and no weepers or irritation I had one of my most effortless BBS shaves.

I didn't find the Evolution to be aggressive at all but do think it is quite efficient. I will be using different blades in the razor, including a Feather and Kai; that might change my mind about its aggressiveness.

To me the Asylum Evolution is an excellent razor. I'm very happy to have one and plan to use it often.

View attachment 762911 View attachment 762912 View attachment 762913 View attachment 762914
Thank you Ron on your review. An excellent take on your perspective and experience with the Asylum Darwin razor. :thumbsup:

I shaved with the Asylum Evolution this afternoon, using the supplied Astra Superior Platinum blade.

Made of 303 stainless steel the razor handle is 78mm in length; its overall length is 85mm; and its weigh is 77g.
It is a small razor, about the size of a Gillette Super Speed, but it does have a nice weight. Its balance point is between the first and second groove of the handle.

There is no awkwardness to the Darwin-inspired handle. It fits comfortably in my grip with my little finger supporting the rounded base. The handle edge above the first groove is pointed and a bit sharp if you hold it wrong. It's not sharp enough to break the skin but it is a bit uncomfortable.

The handle tightens securely, the shaft going completely through the top cap, and holds the aligned blade snugly.

I would prefer to have more groves on the bar guard but that was no real problem for me. During the first pass there was build up in the lather slots which took a bit of water to clear. I attribute that to the thickness of my lather. On subsequent passes I added a little more water to the brush tips and no more build up.

There was little blade feel but audible feedback was evident. The Evolution was very comfortable during the shave and easily maneuverable.

After the first pass I could tell I was going to get a very good, close shave. With minimal cleanup and no weepers or irritation I had one of my most effortless BBS shaves.

I didn't find the Evolution to be aggressive at all but do think it is quite efficient. I will be using different blades in the razor, including a Feather and Kai; that might change my mind about its aggressiveness.

To me the Asylum Evolution is an excellent razor. I'm very happy to have one and plan to use it often.

View attachment 762911 View attachment 762912 View attachment 762913 View attachment 762914
Thank you for sharing and for the size comparison picture!

Nicely done.

The part of the handle that is rough, is it anywhere that you are in contact with during the shave?

Thanks for the great review.

Nicely done.

The part of the handle that is rough, is it anywhere that you are in contact with during the shave?

Thanks for the great review.

Thank you. Depending on the razor I'm using sometimes my fingers creep up toward the base plate when I'm shaving my neck. Due to the way the Evolution fits my hand my fingers never touched the sharp top of the handle. I think the handle is quite well-designed.

Great thread! So has anyone done a direct comparison in the shave between the Evolution and an original Darwin Standard?

I had a Darwin DeLuxe at one time and the shave was powerful, aggressive and very smooth.
More aggressive than a NEW but less than a FaTip.
If the Evolution can match the shave quality of the original Darwin as well as the looks then it will be an amazing razor.

I'd love to see a Barbasol Floating Head clone myself....

I had a Darwin DeLuxe at one time and the shave was powerful, aggressive and very smooth.
I'm very fixated on the word "had" in your quote! Details must be known as to why such a beautiful and highly sought after grail razor is no longer in your possession! I hope it's not a sad story though!

I'm very fixated on the word "had" in your quote! Details must be known as to why such a beautiful and highly sought after grail razor is no longer in your possession! I hope it's not a sad story though!
Good question!
True story: My Darwin DeLuxe came with a cracked baseplate in a job lot along with two Eclipse Red Rings.
I like to shave with all the razors in my collection, and for my money the Eclipse RR is simply a better shaver, so I sold the Darwin and it paid for a holiday!
Maybe if it hadn't have had the crack I would have thought twice about selling - I've gone to sell my Vision 2000 a couple of times but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

It's great to have actually shaved with a Darwin DeLuxe, if the Evolution shave is as good then it's going to be a winner :001_smile

Not sure if you have access to the Asylum Shave Works FB page, but if you do there was a short mention of his next project and there he mentioned it was going to be a clone of the Krect Spiral Curve (the one with the non tilting head that is about as thin as a Tech). Yes, definitely stainless and yes, unless the Evolution reviews say that it is the best shaver in the world, I will probably hold out.
Here are a couple of shots of my NOS Krect. Appears to be unused. I never have shaved with it, even though I've had it for years. I figured I'd leave it pristine and try a beater if I ever ran across one. Anyway ..... I think this is the model being talked about for a reissue ;
P1020664.JPG

P1020665.JPG

One of those Evolution Darwins may be in my future if I get the opportunity. The originals are more than I'd want to spend, though the idea of 'cobalt steel' is really intriguing.

Well, I got my Asylum Evolution yesterday and have shaved with it twice so far and I'm loving it! It's a thing of beauty and is heavier than it looks as well.
tmp_18778-20170221_173856-1280657308.jpg
tmp_18778-20170222_072350-278725387.jpg

Top Bottom