What's new

Bit the bullet and ordered a Asylum Evolution DE Razor

I know this is a late response, but I just got this razor. Shaved with it twice (once with an Astra, one with a Feather) and got some fairly wicked razor burn. Been wet-shaving for 6 years, own an ATT S1, a Timeless.95, a Merkur Futur and 39C, an Ikon X3 and 101, and a Windrose F2. I've settled in pretty well with Proraso pre-shave, Proraso tube & tub soap, and the aftershave balm and get along well with Astra, Feathers, Bolzanos, Kais, and Rapiras. I've always had wonderful results and (rarely) have I ever had such razor burn. Any tricks/advice to calm this Asylum down?

I know this is a late response, but I just got this razor. Shaved with it twice (once with an Astra, one with a Feather) and got some fairly wicked razor burn. Been wet-shaving for 6 years, own an ATT S1, a Timeless.95, a Merkur Futur and 39C, an Ikon X3 and 101, and a Windrose F2. I've settled in pretty well with Proraso pre-shave, Proraso tube & tub soap, and the aftershave balm and get along well with Astra, Feathers, Bolzanos, Kais, and Rapiras. I've always had wonderful results and (rarely) have I ever had such razor burn. Any tricks/advice to calm this Asylum down?

You don’t say which baseplate you have, so I assume you have the standard & not the Model T. My advice would be to try a steeper angle, for the reasons below.

I started out with the standard, found it too mild, so I got the Model T. The Model T would only work for me with a shallow angle (i.e riding the cap), whereas I had been using a steeper angle with the standard plate.

I found the Model T to be very aggressive & although I didn’t cut myself my skin was uncomfortable post shave, though the shave was ridiculously close. Closer than I achieve with my 2013 Muhle R41, or Shavecraft 104.

I went back to the standard plate & used the new shallow angle with it. The shave was not quite as close as with the Model T, but closer than with the steeper angle I had used with the standard previously. Post shave, my face was still uncomfortable. I didn’t have razor rash, but I could see what I describe as “micro bumps” on my skin that went away after several hours.

Going back to a steeper angle with the standard plate, the shave wasn’t quite as close as with the shallow angle, but my skin felt & looked better post shave. The Evo is still a work in progress for me.

You don’t say which baseplate you have, so I assume you have the standard & not the Model T. My advice would be to try a steeper angle, for the reasons below.

I started out with the standard, found it too mild, so I got the Model T. The Model T would only work for me with a shallow angle (i.e riding the cap), whereas I had been using a steeper angle with the standard plate.

I found the Model T to be very aggressive & although I didn’t cut myself my skin was uncomfortable post shave, though the shave was ridiculously close. Closer than I achieve with my 2013 Muhle R41, or Shavecraft 104.

I went back to the standard plate & used the new shallow angle with it. The shave was not quite as close as with the Model T, but closer than with the steeper angle I had used with the standard previously. Post shave, my face was still uncomfortable. I didn’t have razor rash, but I could see what I describe as “micro bumps” on my skin that went away after several hours.

Going back to a steeper angle with the standard plate, the shave wasn’t quite as close as with the shallow angle, but my skin felt & looked better post shave. The Evo is still a work in progress for me.
I find these shave reports very interesting.

I had an original Darwin DeLuxe for a bit and one of the things I liked about it was that it was an aggressive shaver fiercer than the British NEW but also very smooth and well balanced.

From the descriptions above it sounds like the Asylum replica doesn’t actually behave like a Darwin at all.

I find these shave reports very interesting.

I had an original Darwin DeLuxe for a bit and one of the things I liked about it was that it was an aggressive shaver fiercer than the British NEW but also very smooth and well balanced.

From the descriptions above it sounds like the Asylum replica doesn’t actually behave like a Darwin at all.
I didn't mean to give the impression that the Evo isn't balanced & smooth. I have the short handled version & it is perfectly balanced & very smooth. Perhaps too smooth. My shaves go very well & give no sign of the impending post shave discomfort. It is the exact opposite of my Blackbird SB, which is very "raspy" in use, like a Gem blade SE, but there is zero post shave irritation.

I didn't mean to give the impression that the Evo isn't balanced & smooth. I have the short handled version & it is perfectly balanced & very smooth. Perhaps too smooth. My shaves go very well & give no sign of the impending post shave discomfort. It is the exact opposite of my Blackbird SB, which is very "raspy" in use, like a Gem blade SE, but there is zero post shave irritation.
Thanks for the clarification.
I wonder what is causing your post-shave irritation?

Sorry guys - I should have clarified. I do have the original head with the shorter handle (not an XL or XL-T). I was relatively steep on my first shave and rode the cap on the second shave. To be fair, I did change blade and angle on the second shave, so I can't completely compare apples to apples.

And one other thing - it gives a very efficient and effective shave, and doesn't feel ridiculously aggressive while I'm shaving. It's just the razor burn after. Odd.....

And the cure was.....

A little more water in the brush/Proraso mix and simple alum block after finishing (I'd run out and some came in the mail from Italian Barber).

Like most things, the devil was in the details and the fix was simple...

Top Bottom