What's new

Best Gillette Tech

We can try. Take a picture of the under side (handle off) of the base, and then the inside of the base. Then with the handle. If we can't, somebody certainly can. there are a lot of experts around here.
Couldn't you simply tell me what it is I'm looking for? Honestly, I'm not that interested in the date to take photos and upload them. If all I know is it's mid to late 1940s manufacture, which I already knew, I'm OK with that.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't plan on becoming a Techie but I do have two BFBT's sitting at home for me, replated by Chris Spencer at Back Roads Gold.

He also kindly agreed to trade me a silver British Raised Flat Bottom for a two piece BRFB I had purchased. He had already replated the three piece and had it for sale on Etsy.

I'm still totally new to DE shaving. Still finding my way to the best blades for me, best shaving angles, etc. It's still shaving, of course, but using one model of AC single edge razor for 6 months, my technique has developed around that.

We will be glad to be home in a couple weeks, if my total upper and lower implants are complete and satisfactory by then. For me, personally, I look forward to opening some packages with shaving goodies in them.... who says you can't still buy stuff when you are in SE Asia? <eg>

Couldn't you simply tell me what it is I'm looking for? Honestly, I'm not that interested in the date to take photos and upload them. If all I know is it's mid to late 1940s manufacture, which I already knew, I'm OK with that.
I can't get any closer than that, because I am not an expert. The razors of that time did not have date codes, if I recall correctly. I don't think they started that till the early 50's. Here is all I know of the matter:

If your razor has a date code then it is from the 1920's or earlier, or from the 1950's to 2001. Otherwise, you are going to have to look at the head and handle design, I believe. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I possess will chime in.

I can't get any closer than that, because I am not an expert. The razors of that time did not have date codes, if I recall correctly. I don't think they started that till the early 50's. Here is all I know of the matter:

If your razor has a date code then it is from the 1920's or earlier, or from the 1950's to 2001. Otherwise, you are going to have to look at the head and handle design, I believe. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I possess will chime in.
Don't forget the Pre War / Post War bottom plate safety bar slot configuration (triangular vs regular rectangular slot).

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason

Thanks for the info Cal. It looks like the best way to identify a 'New Hybrid' is by inspecting the base plate for the distinguishing grooves and slots. I'll have to study the "non-hybrids" to see the difference, I guess.

I also found this guide on Gillette Tech's that may be helpful:

Thanks,

Thanks for the info Cal. It looks like the best way to identify a 'New Hybrid' is by inspecting the base plate for the distinguishing grooves and slots. I'll have to study the "non-hybrids" to see the difference, I guess.
Yes Phil, the baseplate will tell you.

The Gillette Hybrid Tech is the ONLY ONE with the NEW style RFB (Raised Flat Bottom) baseplate, but with Safety Bars versus Open Combs:
Gillette-Hybrid-Tech-Baseplate_2022-09-08.jpg

Left: Flat Bottom Tech, Middle: RFB Hybrid Tech, Right: NEW RFB (all Open Combs)

Here's my NEW RFB (starring on mr-razor.com):
mr-razor-1939-NEW-RFB-#44-Set.jpg

I also found this guide on Gillette Tech's that may be helpful:
Tech-Spotting-Guide-mr-razor.jpg

Yes, that's copied direct from the mr-razor.com site (with permission). It doesn't show the Hybrid Tech, but it does show the FB (Flat Bottom) Techs (1940s british fat handle Tech, and 1940s british thin handle Tech).

I hope the above makes sense (and is of some help).

I was able to answer my own question which matches something I'd read somewhere about what post WWII years did Gillette make gold ball end Techs. This fellow claimed 1946 only. I already knew the razor was a 1946-1950 production by lack of date code and plate design. However, This particular razor came in a box with an unused pack of Blue blades. They are R4 date coded so at least we know the blades that came with the razor are from 1946

Haven’t tried them all, but my postwar ball-handle outshaves my prewar fat-handle.
I missed this earlier but having both, I agree with you. I much prefer the ball end handle to my war era fat handle. I haven't measured and don't really care about the numbers but the ball end is smoother (actually I have two - one a probably '46 based on blade date and a '61). They shave the same.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Well, now all this hype about the FBT/EFBT has piqued my interest and tempted me into thinking I would like to own one. Are they rare, or is possible for a mere mortal like me to find one within my lifetime and buy it without having to rob a bank to pay for it?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Well, now all this hype about the FBT/EFBT has piqued my interest and tempted me into thinking I would like to own one. Are they rare, or is possible for a mere mortal like me to find one within my lifetime and buy it without having to rob a bank to pay for it?
The are not rare. Just not as plentiful as the regular techs. I have a bunch and it wasn’t very hard to find them. They just may cost you a bit more than a regular tech. Great razors.

Top Bottom