What's new

Best Gillette Tech

My brand new Gillette Super Blue razor just arrived from China. £4.99 + VAT with free shipping and one Chinese GSB blade.

First shave was very good. It's hard to discern much difference between my three Techs; the GSB, my EFB and my 60's aluminium handle. The GSB is a marvel of low cost manufacture, with an aluminium baseplate and a hollow plastic handle. This makes it incredibly light. They've even pared down the Zamak cap, which weighs a couple of grams less than the post '62 cap.

This would make a fantastic travel razor. Maybe not the best Tech, but certainly the best value, until my Indian 7 o'clock razor arrives, anyway.

View attachment 1411952
A while back I got 2 of the Chinese Gillettes for around a buck apiece. They shave well, as does the cheap Ying Jili. I've wondered why Gillette didn't simply spiff up the Chinese Gillette with a replica vintage handle & signature box. Instead they did that Goofy "Heritage' razor that looks nothing like an historical Gillette Tech razor ...

A Tech is a Tech is a Tech. I've been shaving with all mine for so long that they all seem to do a good job. Of course I am a little more partial to the Pre War & Fat handles ...
All Techs.jpg

This pic is a few years old and I've added a bunch more various Techs since then, especially fat handles.

A Tech is a Tech is a Tech. I've been shaving with all mine for so long that they all seem to do a good job. Of course I am a little more partial to the Pre War & Fat handles ...
View attachment 1467759
This pic is a few years old and I've added a bunch more various Techs since then, especially fat handles.
Ohhh, I really like your gold Duplex handle! I love the weight & balance of those handles, nickel or gold.

A while back I got 2 of the Chinese Gillettes for around a buck apiece. They shave well, as does the cheap Ying Jili. I've wondered why Gillette didn't simply spiff up the Chinese Gillette with a replica vintage handle & signature box. Instead they did that Goofy "Heritage' razor that looks nothing like an historical Gillette Tech razor ...
What are some of the better Chinese Techs?

What are some of the better Chinese Techs?
Go cheap or stay home ... I've got both the Ying Jili and Chinese Gillette. Go for cheapest price, since they are both mild and great for travel. Both use the same handles, but the cap & bottom plate are just a little different, indicating to me that thty're made by separate manufacturers.

I have owned and almost all of them. American pre-war, American post-war, Canadian pre-war, British flat bottom, and Hybrid.

I think they are all great razors. The prettiest were the Hybrid (because of the rhodium plating) and the Canadian (because it was essentially NOS).

I loved every one of them when I had them, but currently only have two remaining, and English flat bottom and a gold American post-war.

At this point, I think I have to say that, for me, the lowly post-war that I got for about five bucks is the best of the bunch.

YMMV.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I hear where you are coming from and I thought so too. But then I found a spiral handle aluminum British tech...

I have used a few other Gillette tech razors. They are amazing shavers with a sharp blade. But I am sorry, that British tech found in the wild for $5 USD really and truly could be my "one and only".

I am fortunate to own two razors that fall into the Grail category. My SS Timeless .68sb and my Prewar Aluminum tech. If somehow I'd come across the tech, a decent brush and some solid direction I, honestly (and to my detriment) would have never sought out these forums.

I own a few techs. They DO perform amazingly well. I don't believe they are all created equal nor do they perform equally for all shavers. YMMV.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
What does a Gillette Hybrid Tech even look like as original (ie: without custom handles put on it)? I would like to be able to identify it if I see one on EBay, since they are supposedly so good.

Thanks,

I've got three stock Techs, two ball end and one war era (the one with the triangular slots). The war era feels a bit more aggressive (if one can say that about Techs of any variety) but if I could own only one Gillette razor, it would be a ball end Tech. My newer one is a 1961, my older one is gold and in near mint condition. NDC and I've read they only did the gold plating post WWII like in 1946 (?). My guess is it's a mid to late 40's. It came in the original box which contained whatever size package of Blue blades they were selling then. Anyway, for me, the ball end is the one.

I've got three stock Techs, two ball end and one war era (the one with the triangular slots). The war era feels a bit more aggressive (if one can say that about Techs of any variety) but if I could own only one Gillette razor, it would be a ball end Tech. My newer one is a 1961, my older one is gold and in near mint condition. NDC and I've read they only did the gold plating post WWII like in 1946 (?). My guess is it's a mid to late 40's. It came in the original box which contained whatever size package of Blue blades they were selling then. Anyway, for me, the ball end is the one.
1946-1949 or 50, I think. My gold fat handled Tech is from that time. The base plate will tell you.

How do you tell what year a ball end Tech was made? I am expecting one to be at my house when I get home this weekend.

Try this very helpful (to me) chart.

Try this very helpful (to me) chart.

Well, going by the seller’s pics it looks like a ’46-50 gold Tech head on a gold ball end handle. There’s no date code on the baseplate.

F1DC1150-5953-4B8C-A68B-934C3209DA6A.png

Top Bottom