What's new

Best Adjustable for semi-newbie?

Modern mid-price adjustables:
Pearl Flexi!
It's relatively inexpensive and the build quality surpasses it's price point.
Pearl is Made in India and so is Parker. (Both are coated brass) but Pearl's quality (especially on the Flexi) is better.
I've had both!
Might not be a big deal but this is for some:
Rockwell 6S is adjustable but you've got to change plates (It has 3).
Merkur Progress is Zamak
Regardless, any of them will probably last a long time if properly maintained.

How does the Black Beauty compare to the Slim?...in other words, is there enough difference for someone who already owns a Slim to pursue the Black Beauty?

And another:

How noticeable is the weight difference between the plastic and metal base plates?

The metal razors seem much more common, and easier to find at a reasonable price, at least on ebay, and I've not been lucky enough to find either in the wild.
The BB has two closer settings than the Slim. The 8 and 9 on the BB would be 10 and 11 on the Slim if it had that many settings. The nylon-based BB is noticeably lighter than the Slim or metal SuperAdjustable. I think the Slim is too heavy and thick. Unwieldy. BB is just right.

The BB has two closer settings than the Slim. The 8 and 9 on the BB would be 10 and 11 on the Slim if it had that many settings. The nylon-based BB is noticeably lighter than the Slim or metal SuperAdjustable. I think the Slim is too heavy and thick. Unwieldy. BB is just right.

Thank you. 🙂

How does the Black Beauty compare to the Slim?...in other words, is there enough difference for someone who already owns a Slim to pursue the Black Beauty?

And another:

How noticeable is the weight difference between the plastic and metal base plates?

The metal razors seem much more common, and easier to find at a reasonable price, at least on ebay, and I've not been lucky enough to find either in the wild.

I've had two Superadjustables (both earlier models, with metal baseplates) and a Slim. I like them all a lot (and would probably also like a Fatboy), but prefer my Slim, mostly because it's milder.

The Superadjustables are a bit more aggressive than the Slim and also lighter. I think it's just a matter of personal preference in that way. If you want a lighter, more aggressive version of a Gillette adjustable, I'd recommend a Superadjustable. If you want a slightly heavier, milder version of a Gillette adjustable, I'd recommend a Slim.

They're all gorgeous very well-performing razors in my opinion.

People tend to think the Superadjustable handles are plastic but my understanding is they're some kind of treated or coated aluminum.

No offence, but with only 90 days of DE shaving you are not a 'semi-newbie' (whatever that means). Do 90 days mean 90 shaves in your case?

You are making the typical mistake of buying too many razors in the first months.
I would stick with the razors I have. It is a learning curve that will take time. Some users here recommend to you a Progress. Next thing you will buy a Progress and will (probably) find it too aggressive for you even on the low settings.

Since you shave once in 6 days as you mentioned, it would be practical to buy a mild open comb razor.

No offence, but with only 90 days of DE shaving you are not a 'semi-newbie' (whatever that means). Do 90 days mean 90 shaves in your case?

You are making the typical mistake of buying too many razors in the first months.
I would stick with the razors I have. It is a learning curve that will take time. Some users here recommend to you a Progress. Next thing you will buy a Progress and will (probably) find it too aggressive for you even on the low settings.

Since you shave once in 6 days as you mentioned, it would be practical to buy a mild open comb razor.
The once in six days was a rarity (lazy). Usually every other (or third) day.

Agree on your other comments with a caveat: I WAS a wet shaver a few years back and had half of what I now own. Now I’m “all in”. So I do have experience, but I did not have the benefit of B&B member wisdom, which is priceless!

So 90 days is more than 90 shaves for sure (incl the ones from a few years ago before I grew a short beard). IDK what the number is, but I was clearly not making good choices on razors, cream/soap, blades, so on. I’m very thankful for this forum and people like you, @ivan_101 and the moderators and Dave and many more!

Cheers.

I've been gone from the forum and the hobby for many years and am glad to see that the Fatboy and the Slim (my two favorites) are still right up there. I tend to shave often so I like mild razors with sharp blades like the Feather. Sometimes I even pull out the Feather stainless razor. But in general I like the bulky Fatboy. I enjoyed the early Rockwell adjustables I have as their weighty heads made shaving seem effortless. But they still seemed clunky/inelegant to me compared to the vintage ones.
Any suggestions on one of the modern ones to try at a low to medium price just to see what I've missed in modern tech? I remembering wondering why adjustables weren't common just before Rockwell introduced theirs. And today a quick search on Amazon showed me how many adjustables at all price levels seem to be made today.

And another:

A few grams here or a few grams there does seem to make a noticeable difference. I reach for my post 1977 Black Beauty about 10 times more often than the other model, or the shorter handle model. It even looks better IMO.

First question is: When it clogs is it gummed soap and hair or mostly hair? I usually have a small spot on the blade on day 3. It's possible your soap is too thick, or just too much.
I got a Vikings Blade Emperor (basic) for Christmas, and I'm getting used to the micro/safety setup.
I start in an area with the comb, and then flip the blade to catch the little bits that were missed.
I'm running it at 5. Some brands of blades leave me reaching for moisturizer within seconds, and some I don't need the moisturizer at all.

I think the best deal going right now in an adjustable is the Yaqi "The Final Cut", in terms of price and performance.

What @AshleyC 👆👆 said.

AND - If you want something that will last - get the Ultima SB version. Its close enough to the TFC as not to matter, is as good as and in a lot of cases better than its competition at half their price.

I've been gone from the forum and the hobby for many years and am glad to see that the Fatboy and the Slim (my two favorites) are still right up there. I tend to shave often so I like mild razors with sharp blades like the Feather. Sometimes I even pull out the Feather stainless razor. But in general I like the bulky Fatboy. I enjoyed the early Rockwell adjustables I have as their weighty heads made shaving seem effortless. But they still seemed clunky/inelegant to me compared to the vintage ones.
Any suggestions on one of the modern ones to try at a low to medium price just to see what I've missed in modern tech? I remembering wondering why adjustables weren't common just before Rockwell introduced theirs. And today a quick search on Amazon showed me how many adjustables at all price levels seem to be made today.
For mild razors, I've liked the trend of negative exposure. The adjustables with negative exposure that I'm aware of — Karve and Muramasa — aren't cheap though. Karve is less expensive, especially with aluminum, but still not low price. Simplecleanshave is more affordable but also not adjustable.

Gibbs-style adjustables have been popular the last few years, and the Yaqi mentioned and Pearl Flexi would be more mild, relatively less expensive versions of that.

Everyone is going to praise what they like. There’s probably many answers to OP’s question.

That said, Parker Variant was my favorite razor when I just got into DE shaving 4 years ago, and it’s still my favorite razor today. In that time I
moved from having it set to 2-2.5 and being extra careful to having it at 3.5 and considering that “pleasantly mild” yet efficient. As my technique grew, I only came to appreciate it more.

Its head geometry is based on Mercur Progress which is an old and proven design, but it improved on a few things (better handle, better dial).

Hi all. I have a variety of DE razors, though as a newbie (less than 90 days with DE), I still teach for Merkur 34C (rotation of blades I’m truly jog out—all the ones you love and know, too).

After two passes with Merkur 34C the other day, it did a great job on 6 days of solid growth.

Sooooo, want My a closer shave, I used my Viking Meiji on adjustable setting 3. The audio feedback is great (used the side with microcomb only).

Point is, I love adjustable razors I see and know. In my routine always. The Viking does clog waaaaaay more than it should, IMHO, so: So my question for the many skilled users here: what should I look into for a very good adjustable? Could be open or closed comb, or both.

TY.

Ezra

Gillette Slim obviously. Brass, can be replated and refurbished in the future, last a lifetime and it's proven.

Modern mid-price adjustables:
Pearl Flexi!
It's relatively inexpensive and the build quality surpasses it's price point.
Pearl is Made in India and so is Parker. (Both are coated brass) but Pearl's quality (especially on the Flexi) is better.
I've had both!
Might not be a big deal but this is for some:
Rockwell 6S is adjustable but you've got to change plates (It has 3).
Merkur Progress is Zamak
Regardless, any of them will probably last a long time if properly maintained.

I own a 6S, how does the Pearl flexi compares to the 6S?
I think the 6S range is very mild to smooth agressive. How is that for the Flexi? And can you indicate setting 1 on the flexi for example is comparable with backplate 2 of the 6S?

Top Bottom