What's new

Best Adjustable for semi-newbie?

Hi all. I have a variety of DE razors, though as a newbie (less than 90 days with DE), I still teach for Merkur 34C (rotation of blades I’m truly jog out—all the ones you love and know, too).

After two passes with Merkur 34C the other day, it did a great job on 6 days of solid growth.

Sooooo, want My a closer shave, I used my Viking Meiji on adjustable setting 3. The audio feedback is great (used the side with microcomb only).

Point is, I love adjustable razors I see and know. In my routine always. The Viking does clog waaaaaay more than it should, IMHO, so: So my question for the many skilled users here: what should I look into for a very good adjustable? Could be open or closed comb, or both.

TY.

Ezra

I just want to point out that if you are taking down 6 days of growth with a modern 34c, you probably won't need or enjoy anything that is particularly aggressive - some of the cheap chinese adjustables and very high end offerings should probably be avoided, as their adjustability basically takes them from aggressive to very aggressive.

You might find you can achieve what you want by sticking a sharper blade in the 34c. You could also try shimming it, just to see how you like that, before committing to something new.

But ultimately, wanting a new razor is reason enough to get one...at least, it always has been for me!

The Gillette SuperAdjustable, particularly the post ‘77 “Black Beauty”, is the best adjustable DE in the world, IMHO. I picked up my never-used 1978 for $10 at a flea market.
So what distinguishes the post 1977 models from the ones that came before, in your opinion?

Last edited:
I had a Black Gillette adjustable made in the early 1970s and liked it a lot. Unfortunately I gave it away years ago when I went to electric and Trac II. IMO the Gillette is better than the Parker Variant, which has too thick a head for me.

My most important recent lesson from an adjustable: as a blade gets worn, a milder setting gives me a closer shave. For that reason I seldom use my adjustable now, I just stick with my mild Gillette postwar Tech, or my Gillette New LC. I will pull out a more aggressive razor if I am using a new blade with 4 or less shaves.

The Gillette SuperAdjustable, particularly the post ‘77 “Black Beauty”, is the best adjustable DE in the world, IMHO. I picked up my never-used 1978 for $10 at a flea market.

How does the Black Beauty compare to the Slim?...in other words, is there enough difference for someone who already owns a Slim to pursue the Black Beauty?

And another:

How noticeable is the weight difference between the plastic and metal base plates?

The metal razors seem much more common, and easier to find at a reasonable price, at least on ebay, and I've not been lucky enough to find either in the wild.

Top Bottom