What's new

Barbasol...vs the world of shave cream

I still find all canned stuff too foamy and really can't imagine going back to it. If I oversleep, my quick shave will be with my tube of King of Shaves Alphagel. Stuff smells wonderful and the tea tree oil is tingly and invigorating. :cool:

Whats up fellas, got a real question for you guys, why dose everybody stay away or speak bad of Barbasol shaving cream?
My grandfather walk into my bathroom and ask why did I have all the fancy shaving cream and brush. All he's uses is Barbasol since he had hair on his face...Now my grandfather is over 73 years old and i really got to say he looks very good for his age, maybe good genes or who know...but whats makes other shaving cream better than Barasol..? and is it really worth the money to keep paying for top dollar shaving creams..??? i mean come on a can cost $1.50...DAM!!!!:huh:

Yes,its definitely worth the Xtra $. With so many reasonably priced marvelous(and wonderfully scented)shave creams out there,why would you waste your time on Barbasol or any other canned 'junk'? You don't have to spend a fortune to acquire some great creams or soaps.

Craig

I've used Barbasol and the other brands of canned foam for decades, it was only about 4 years ago that I started also using the creams, soaps, and brushes, I've never been without some canned foam on hand, simply because every once in a while I like to shave with it. Right now I've got Barbasol yellow can and also the menthol version. Not bad stuff, nor is any of the other stuff bad. Oh, and I almost forgot. I also have a recently manufactured plastic tube of non-aerosol Barbasol that I use from time to time, as the mood strikes me. It's not bad either. How do you like my avatar photo? I got that huge metal tube of NOS Barbasol in the box a couple of years ago. It works just fine too.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the Mtn. Blast scent, but worry it won't perform as well as Yellow can so why risk it?

Used Yellow can (Skin Conditioning) today and had a fine shave (heated can..a must!)

For me it's not about the performance, it's about the collection! All the Barbasols I've used so far have worked very well especially considering how dirt cheap they are. The only scent I haven't liked so far is the one from the orange can which I believe is the sensitive skin version. I wish they would have tried to make that one smell like the original.

I also want to buy a can of the CO Bigelow shave foam (not the cream in the tube) to add along with all my Barbasol cans. Even though it costs $10 and is Proraso, I think Barbasol will work just as well.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3904287&cm_vc=200

Last edited:
For the guy that had an empty Barbasol jar here's what it looked like - from the '50's
$1950-1.jpg

Last edited:
When I was using canned shaving foam I always thought that Barbasol was too "airy" as compared to Gillette Foamy which was denser and richer. The Barbasol was always cheaper though.

Not interested in going back to either.

When I used a cart I used what ever gel I could get (cheapest and said moisturizing.) Now though I haven't used a can shave cream/gel for about a year and a half now. If I ever do buy some, it would be Barbasol or Aveeno. I have heard good things about both. Still a canned goo, but better then most of whats out there...

Barbasol yellow can with lanolin is a good product.
I keep it in my rotation and use it when I have no time for a quality wet shave.
It is my go-to for very quick shaves.
And with Barbasol I always get good results.
But, again, I use it only when in time trouble.
Shaving with a world class shaving cream, lathered up with a super badger brush is another story...

+1 If I ever use canned goo nowadays, it's Barbasol with lanolin. The only problem is every store around me seems to carry every Barbasol but the lanolin. At the end of the day though, I don't think any canned goo will beat out a quality cream or soap.

I used to use Barbasol for years because thats what my dad used. And it was good for what it was. But I went to soap and brush last year and can't see myself ever going b ack to goop in a can. :)

If you haven't already done so head over to www.barbasol.com and look under history for a great time line for the company.

While you're visiting their website, it not hard to miss the Safety Razor display with the artwork! Very cool site, and very 'Shave Den' looking. Glad they didn't get real modern on us, like Gillette does.

I kinda like their site, very retro. Is it me or the can didn't changed since the 80s and the push-button is the same since the 70s ^^

I broke down and got me a can of the Sensitive Skin while at walmart over the weekend..I've given up looking for the one with lanolin and I'm tired of being scruffy as heck at work when I don't have 30 minutes to shave beforehand.
Used it for the first time yesterday..worked surprisingly well. Got a decent 2 pass in and used up significantly less time.

After 3 months of using a brush..it was weird to have to apply something that didn't involve a brush..it took me a moment to remember how that worked.

I keep a can of yellow-can Barbasol in the shower for shaving my head every other day (I use a cart for that--I can knock it out in less than 2 minutes when half asleep). I use my DE and other soaps and creams on the face after I get out of the shower. Barbasol is a good product at a great price.

I also have a bottle of Barbasol Pacific Rush aftershave at all times. ICY!!!

Last edited:
I still love Barbasol Products. I will use the Green can every now and again and use Barbasol Pacific Rush AS and Balm at least 2 or 3 times a week. I plan on using Barbasol Green and the AS Balm and Splash on July 4th along with a Tradere and Personna Blade.

Top Bottom