What's new

Barbasol...vs the world of shave cream

:tongue_sm

Anyone remember "Singin' Sal th' Barbasol Gal"? Never knew her real name but she was so fine I would have drunk her bathwater. Richard Pryor would have said "she was so fine I would have @#$%^& her daddys @#$%. Good product too, when available.

Google has a different story to share, gentlemen. It was Singin' Sam the Barbaasol Man!

http://www.digitaldeliftp.com/lookaround/advertspot_cocacola4.htm

Between 1937 and 1942, Singin' Sam -- Richmond, IN singer Harry Frankel, known as "Singin’ Sam, the Barbasol Man" for his long association with the famous shaving cream company . . .

@dpm802 -- sorry, no snarky tone intended. I just meant that there's more than one way to skin a cat . . . fooling around with your shave and changing things a little bit at a time is what makes wet shaving so addictive, I find.

hey Gents, a quick question...

I am going on vacation next week and don't want to lug around my shaving brushes and creams so I stopped by Rite Aid and picked up a can of Noxzema's aloe and lanolin shave foam. Picked it up because it has "lanolin". I've been researching this product online tonight and have come across a few negative reviews claiming that this product broke people out because of the lanolin. But in other reviews people say the lanolin is the kind that doesn't break you out and is very good for your skin. What's the truth? Does anyone know which type of lanolin this product has...is it the good kind or the bad kind? :blushing:

Well, I tried Noxzema's aloe and lanolin shave foam while on vacation and was disappointed. The shave foam was thin and provided hardly any protection. By the third day I was getting desperate for a good shave and went looking for a Walmart where I could maybe buy a cheap-o VDH shave kit...I came across a Target instead and found a tube of King of Shave's Sensitive Skin Gel with aloe, menthol and tea tree oil. The menthol blast was the most intense I have ever experienced from a shaving product :w00t:. And the shave was decent too! A great find that will be my "go to" when I don't feel like lugging my shaving brushes, soaps and creams on trips :001_wub:

I've been using Barbasol with aloe (blue and green can) for quite a while but never really cared for it.

I just tried Barbersol skin conditioner shave cream (blue and yellow can) and my black SS. It's is the way to go for day to day shaving. It's inexpensive, lubricates well and didn't dry my skin.

Barbasol with aloe is for oily skin.

Last edited:
You might be careful even though it sounds like a hoot; trashing someone's mailbox may be frowned upon by the Fed so if u do, be keerful. I don't know anything about this don't u see.

I can confirm that destroying a mailbox is a Federal felony in the US. You could also be brought up on State vandalism charges and double jeopardy does not apply.

From just reading this thread, I think I'm gonna buy my first can of barbasol and see what people are talking about.

I still keep a can of Barbasol around for quick shaves and since switching to DE I find that even that can give much better shaves than I used to get if I re-apply between each pass, uses a lot of foam though.

But I don't see any of the reasons I switched from Barbasol to other things on here so here they are.

A few years ago I made a concerted effort to reduce my impact upon the environment and part of that was eliminating or reducing my use of aerosol cans. About the same time I was trying to travel lighter as I was going on a 5 month honeymoon trip to Hawaii and didn't want to lug as much weight as I used to. So, at the recommendation of travel light website I tried shaving oil. A tiny little bottle lasts for months and fits nicely in my dopp kit whereas even the smallest aerosol can takes up more room than I want and is a pain to fly with. Oil worked as well as canned foam the way I was using it then although I have found much better ways to use both of them since then.

Since starting DE shaving a month or two ago I have found several creams that work much better than the aerosol. I put oil under then and still use the oil by itself when traveling but may switch to oil plus a brushless cream in the future.

Did Barbasol ever make a lemon-lime aerosol or was that someone else? That was my favorite until my local stores stopped carrying it.

I'm actually trying to obtain a collection so to speak of Barbasol cans. I have all the current colors except purple. Yes, Barbasol has a purple can called Mountain Blast though it's not very popular, and I can only find it on the web which will cost $10. I haven't purchased that one yet, but I do have red, green, yellow, orange, blue (pacific rush), and light blue (arctic chill). One day all those (empty) colorful cans will look good in my den.

All my father ever used was Barbasol....and dad would have been 92, almost 93 if he was still alive...

I keep a can for quick shaves if I've over slept, and before my ritual of making lather, I used the barbasol with lanolin . I would apply it with my father stanley badger brush, did that for years.....I still use his brush every other day...and brek out the barbasol every now and then. I LOVE my Aos sandalwood, and my C.O Bigelow....but something about the smell of the barbasol does bring me back to the time of my youth, and gives me a great shave.

I think I am in with most of the posters here. I have two cans of Barbasol-Aloe and Lanolin, and for a canned product, they really are excellent, better than anything else I have tried. They are my go to for quick shaves with a ball end Tech and a sharp blade. I can do two passes, and get a very nice shave in a very short while. On my recent trip stateside, I did not take a brush or creams because I did not want to deal with it on a long transcontinental trip. A can of Barbasol, my Progress, and some Personna Reds delivered nice shaves day in and day out.

That said, I have come to enjoy and look forward to using a brush and a quality cream. I think that the 2 minutes or so I spend lathering up and brushing my face really helps soften the beard and prep. the skin for a very close shave. However, Barbasol is a product that I will always keep on hand, as it delivers far better performance than its modest price would suggest. One note, I did try the Sensitive Skin and had a strange reaction. My face would get very warm throughout the shave; did not turn red and the effects did not last. It was uncomfortable, so after a few shaves, I gave it away. Think it was a reaction to the Willow Bark extract.

If you notice, the latest round of Barbasol commercials feature a DE razor. That might be a tell tale sign that the older shaving methods may be making a comeback.

it would be cool if Barbasol released a luxury line.

They had Barbasol Ultra for a while but I don't think it was anything special. I still have a can.

I'm actually trying to obtain a collection so to speak of Barbasol cans. I have all the current colors except purple. Yes, Barbasol has a purple can called Mountain Blast though it's not very popular, and I can only find it on the web which will cost $10. I haven't purchased that one yet, but I do have red, green, yellow, orange, blue (pacific rush), and light blue (arctic chill). One day all those (empty) colorful cans will look good in my den.

Stores around here have a variety but none of the have all of them. In fact, Target here only sells the green aloe version. I was able to acquire them all over time.

Speaking of the aloe version, I just bought one the other day and still had a can that was almost empty. The ingredients listed were somewhat different. Does this mean a formula change? Can anybody compare the two and tell the difference?

Ok two more:

Do you guys put the Barbasol on thick or thin? I have experimented and it seems that some versions work better thin and vice versa.

I tried the Pure Silk my wife had. It is the coconut and oat flower version. Worked pretty well. Anyone tried these?

I'm curious about the Mtn. Blast scent, but worry it won't perform as well as Yellow can so why risk it?

Used Yellow can (Skin Conditioning) today and had a fine shave (heated can..a must!)

Top Bottom