What's new

badger me long time

I just wanted to check in and say thankyou to all the members here with your amazing welcome and insight into this new found world. So I am new to the DE shave world and got hold of a silver tip badger brush from a member here. Oh my goodness did it feel amazing I literally cried with joy. I'm slowly building up my arsenal and rituals. My wife laughs a little when she sees my set up because its like i'm going to war with my facial hair. I think my next purchase will be a boar brush just to see. I've heard it's pretty rough. about how long does it take to break in?

I wouldn't call a boar rough it just has a lot more backbone than other brushes. The ends of the bristles will get split ends and soften up when it is broken in. As far how long it takes I didn't pay attention but I'm sure someone will come along and give you their opinion on that.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Welcome @Doaner , B&B is a great place to go over your "battle plan ".
Boars are a great choice, They don't cost as much as a badger any many guy's prefer them
As for how long , What I have found is that the more you use it and let it dry properly
The better results you will have , even when you are not going to use it with your shave
Lather it up and let it set with the lather in it for the day ,then wash it out and let it dry and keep doing that for awhile
it will help speed up the brake-in period . after you have used your boar brush for awhile you can then graduate to a Horse Hair :biggrin1:

Agree. B&B is a great site. Plenty of helpful and gracious shavers.

For a good boar, look at anything Semogue, particularly a 620.

Welcome to B&B
A good boar brush is really nice, I have the Semogue SOC. Break in was not too long from memory but it was many years ago

thankyou for the replies and welcome guys. I will try the boars from semogue that you all recommend.

Welcome @Doaner , B&B is a great place to go over your "battle plan ".
Boars are a great choice, They don't cost as much as a badger any many guy's prefer them
As for how long , What I have found is that the more you use it and let it dry properly
The better results you will have , even when you are not going to use it with your shave
Lather it up and let it set with the lather in it for the day ,then wash it out and let it dry and keep doing that for awhile
it will help speed up the brake-in period . after you have used your boar brush for awhile you can then graduate to a Horse Hair :biggrin1:
thankyou Gray dog. I will order a boar later tonight after work and break it in as you suggest. This forum really is like the book the Art of War but for my face hahaha. Now I might have to start a thread on how to win over the wife with all these new toys I have planned. Its not like golf where I can say I won it at a tournament.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My SOC boar has tips that are about equal to a badger. It did take a while to break in - maybe 6 weeks - but I think it's one of the longest break-in periods for boars.

Know that you can use them right away. They are a little more stiff, but they won't remove skin.

thats good to know thankyou. I was thinking like major use over a period of a year or so to get the split ends I read about.

My boar is the only one I use. It is incredible how soft that hair becomes once it is broken in. And now that I'm used to it, I find badger doesn't have enough backbone for my preference.

Yes the generosity of the gentlemen here is astounding. The info and advice contained within these walls are second to none.
I haven't tried a boar brush yet but one of these fine gentlemen sent me a synthetic brush and it is amazing, so don't write them off as they are great bang for your hard earned cash. West Coast Shaving has their new brushes that look very interesting at about $17.98 for the most expensive synthetic.

My wife the wonderful lady that she is, is constantly stirring me about my collection of products the vastly out matching hers and takes up way more space in the vanity .... and that's after she sacrificed her 10 draw negligee draws. Which I am working on filling with shave stuff. [emoji106][emoji1531][emoji1533][emoji1604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the generosity of the gentlemen here is astounding. The info and advice contained within these walls are second to none.
I haven't tried a boar brush yet but one of these fine gentlemen sent me a synthetic brush and it is amazing, so don't write them off as they are great bang for your hard earned cash. West Coast Shaving has their new brushes that look very interesting at about $17.98 for the most expensive synthetic.

My wife the wonderful lady that she is, is constantly stirring me about my collection of products the vastly out matching hers and takes up way more space in the vanity .... and that's after she sacrificed her 10 draw negligee draws. Which I am working on filling with shave stuff. [emoji106][emoji1531][emoji1533][emoji1604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my wife does the same thing with me now with all the after shaves and soaps that i've purchased. I will keep an open mind to synthetics now and give it a try.

Welcome! Once broken in a good boar can have great, soft tips. A lot depends on your choice in brushes.

I think the biggest issue with a new boar brush is not the roughness, which really isn't bad at all, but the smell. They normally take a few uses to defunk.

Welcome! Badger & Blade has a good bunch of guys that are helpful.

The great thing about this hobby is you can buy as much or as little as you want.

Some guys are collectors, who have dozens of razors and dozens of brushes. I am more of a minimalist, with 4 razors (one is for travel only) and two brushes. However, I do like to rotate my shave soap a bit. So I have 10 soaps. Granted, probably not much compared to many guys here; but I consider it a lot.

Enjoy the journey!

Hi and welcome.
Boar brushes need to be soaked for up to 3 minutes before use each time to soften the fibres but they do break in after 20 plus shaves which you will find will pass very quickly. I did tend to use boar brushes for many years but now have only badger brushes. I have been considering a Semogue 830 for months now but I have resisted that temptation. I hear it is a great brush with a big knot.

Top Bottom