What's new

Badger brush too soft, won't hold lather.

yeah it is 19mm and to be honest I had no idea about knot sizes would make differences, I just went with the idea that badger would always be superior no matter what size, i was wrong.

And about the pictures, I actually uploaded 3 pictures one was when brush is dry, but for some reason it did not appear on the post, I am putting it here again. View attachment 1835057View attachment 1835060
A smaller badger brush like this should still work well. However, because it is badger it takes longer to get enough soap into the brush when you lather from the soap puck. If it takes 20 seconds to load your synthetic brush it might take twice as long with a small badger brush.

A smaller badger brush like this should still work well. However, because it is badger it takes longer to get enough soap into the brush when you lather from the soap puck. If it takes 20 seconds to load your synthetic brush it might take twice as long with a small badger brush.
I only use cream never used a soap, but i think method would be same as you described.

I've always built my lather on the puck or a soap pressed into bowl and always found that Boar and Horse Hair brushes are best for me. Most of them have a good backbone and soft tips. Even my Rubberset brushes still keep making great lather. Most of the Badger brushes I have are like lathering with a mop, even my vintage ones, not much of a backbone in them.

I believe it is more about having wrong expectations than a perceived low quality brush. The link provided took me to a 19mm knot brush. Well... that's about the smallest one could use. In my uneducated opinion it is quite normal for a brush that size not to hold much lather. I have a Simpson Commodore X1 brush that I use for travel. That X1 19mm knot, while being very dense, can hold lather for two passes. Just about.
It is difficult to judge knot density for a wet brush, since hairs clump when wet.

Just to be aware that you are going from a 19mm badger to a 27mm boar. Having correct expectations will ensure great satisfaction.
I have and use an Omega 10049 brush and it is one of the best boar knots I have. Handle is cheap plastic but the knot is fantastic.

Just make sure you give it several wet/dry cycles for proper break-in and soak it well before using it.

You can still use the small badger brush you have if you change/tweak your technique a bit. Maybe use it for travel only and reload between passes. Not that much trouble and quite common.

Good luck and please let us know how you find your new brush/es. Pictures earn cookie points. Ha.
Gotta disagree with that first sentiment. I can get three passes of lather from my Simpson Case (same size) and even my Wee Scot (13mm).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Some great advice above!

My experience is that the ‘price point’ for a ‘good’ (for me at least) badger brush is substantially higher than for other options. For me the difference is worth the $, but that’s my personal preference. :popc::popc:
This is my experience as well. I never recommend a badger brush in this price range, although you can get a very nice boar for that money. Unfortunately, "best badger hair" doesn't really mean much. You want to go with a name brand company and probably spend twice as much to get a nice brush. Omega and Semogue are very popular here.

Some shavers have inexpensive badgers that they like, so there's that. Personally, a Semogue for around $60 would be my choice for a best bang for the $$$ badger.

Top Bottom