What's new

Anyone else getting a weird pop up on top of the page? PLEASE SEE POST #57

You can try going to the chrome store if you are using google chrome and download an extension called uBlock Origin and once installed you would go to the text on the top of your screen and right click on it and then scroll down to the Ublock icon that should say block element and click on it and that will block the pesky part at the top that you are seeing that is causing the problems...

I hope it helps some of you......the uBlock origin extension I believe is probably the simplest and quickest way to block it because right now it has block the popup 152 time while I typed this post. now 160 count. It unobtrusive though , it doesn't pop up saying it blocked something ....It's showing a number count on the right , beside the url bar on my computer..

Oh and remember to turn on the uBlock origins when you install it.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
No offense taken.
It's simply that when something isn't going right, IT has to fix it.
IT works for a living and has to be paid for work done.
How do we pay for IT, licenses, software upgrades, customization and fixes?
Contributors that's how.

Screenshot from 2023-02-18 23-45-06.png

I just woke up to find this, and it wasn't happening to me yesterday. And my computer hasn't been restarted, and I haven't logged out or back in. I have stayed logged in on the same session. So it was quite odd waking up to finding this aggressive popup that keeps showing up on every page I visit on the site.

I am glad that you fine folks are aware of it, and will have IT on it. And I am glad to here that us contributors, are having the funds go to where it is needed, such as fixing issues like this. Good deal! Hope you are doing well BTW Phil!

UPDATE: I just logged out and logged back in, ( A recommended fix here ) and it didn't work. And for the record, I do run an Ad Blocker, but its not Ublock, so my blocker is not working on this site. Strange

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
View attachment 1608379

I just woke up to find this, and it wasn't happening to me yesterday. And my computer hasn't been restarted, and I haven't logged out or back in. I have stayed logged in on the same session. So it was quite odd waking up to finding this aggressive popup that keeps showing up on every page I visit on the site.

I am glad that you fine folks are aware of it, and will have IT on it. And I am glad to here that us contributors, are having the funds go to where it is needed, such as fixing issues like this. Good deal! Hope you are doing well BTW Phil!

UPDATE: I just logged out and logged back in, ( A recommended fix here ) and it didn't work. And for the record, I do run an Ad Blocker, but its not Ublock, so my blocker is not working on this site. Strange
It's very pesky and aggressive!

View attachment 1608379

Some blockers work differently. All I know is that the way I said to do it worked for me and I thought I would mention it for others as a possible "fix".

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
To my knowledge IT hasn’t done anything. Which leads me to believe it’s an ad that simply got rotated out. Just like most all these “pop-up’s” and “contributors seeing ads” and “weird banner” issues have been. Ads from our ad partner that we have no control over. IT will still check it out

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
FWIW I'm seeing now as well. Only when I scroll down on the page, if the B&B banner is showing there's no issue.

Is there nothing in B&B’s contract with their ad provider that restricts the kind of content they can push out, or precludes them from bypassing B&B’s ad removal for subscribers? I would have thought this issue could be resolved by raising it with the ad provider’s client service team or at least they could advise how B&B can block these pop-ups.

Even with the things I had done that blocked it on most of my devices I'm seeing it on 1 of my devices now as well. Only when I scroll down on the page, if the B&B banner is showing there's no issue !!

I’m seeing it this morning. On nearly every page load. I am a contributor. I am on an iPad Pro with iOS 16.3.1 (latest update) using Safari with no extensions. I will now try to log out and login as some have suggested…

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It’s an ad. And as unfortunate as it is there isn’t anything we can do about it at this time. If it helps your mental state of mind to post here when you see it and when you don’t please continue to do so but also note that doing so will change nothing.

Here are some suggestions:
Use an ad blocker (or 4)
Become a contributor (although, that doesn’t seem to help in this case)
Log out and clear your computers cookies, cache, and browsing history
Google search a bunch of random things and view a bunch of random websites so the ad changes to something else (I don’t know if that will work, just a thought)

We know this is frustrating for those seeing it and as you can also see no one, not even moderators or contributors, are immune. We simply have to wait for our ad partner to rotate the ad out. We are discussing options so this doesn’t continue to happen in the future.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Well this is odd, but the popup add has returned. I honestly didn't expect that. But its obvious that I don't know anything about how the add system works, so for all I know, the adds are on a rotational basis.

We simply have to wait for our ad partner to rotate the ad out.

Hello Toothpick!

As long as this is not some kind of cyber based attack, and it simply is a dumb add on rotation, then what you said makes sense, and I hope it does indeed rotate out.

And thanks for being understanding for our plight, for not even us contributors are immune to it.

Top Bottom