What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 22
I'm fairly new to wet shaving and just starting to gather supplies but there are creams and soaps on which I'll never spend a cent again.

Cream/ soap :

1) Vinkam - cheap but lather dies down quick. It was good to start with but some variant has cough syrup smell, it'll be given to someone who wronged me.

2) Godrej Shave cream tube - Lime is good but sensitive (red) is meh !
I have enough number of tubes of them both anyways.

3) Trigodon : Soaps are good, but price point per ounce is costlier than say, Soap Commander, also, I'd rather try something new.

4) Wickham : Performs well enough, but it doesn't touch my heart in any way.

I haven't ventured far and wild enough to find something that disagrees with me (reactions etc).

Truefitt & Hill shave soaps. I had their luxury scented soap and was seriously disappointed. Almost impossible to lather no matter what I did (less water, more water, soaking, using liquid glycerin on puck). The best I could get was a quasi lather that dissipated half way through a pass. Thankfully I didn’t pay full price as it was a clearance item, but still very much a failure of a shave soap.

Col. Conk

Second time. First one was due to, in my opinion, its mediocre shaving soaps. This time due to, in my opinion, its obnoxious sales behaviour.

Never again, new or old formula.

Obnoxious sales behavior? That guy is super responsive in every thread or post I've ever seen about Col. Conk. He seems easy going and willing to take a joke. As far as their soaps go, I specifically tried Col. Conk because of his behavior. I didn't even need any more bay rum products, and went ahead and bought a 4-pack, anyway. Great, middle-of-the-road- spicey bay rum scent, no problems with lathering. In fact, the soap created a marshmallow cream with great slickness. If i didn't already have more soaps than space, I'd buy another 4-pack. Tempted to do it anyway, just for shavepocalypse planning.

Obnoxious sales behavior? That guy is super responsive in every thread or post I've ever seen about Col. Conk. He seems easy going and willing to take a joke. As far as their soaps go, I specifically tried Col. Conk because of his behavior. I didn't even need any more bay rum products, and went ahead and bought a 4-pack, anyway. Great, middle-of-the-road- spicey bay rum scent, no problems with lathering. In fact, the soap created a marshmallow cream with great slickness. If i didn't already have more soaps than space, I'd buy another 4-pack. Tempted to do it anyway, just for shavepocalypse planning.

Agreed 👍🏻

I am not so much in to glycerine soaps, but I've got a stash of their older label soaps and they give a great shave. We are all spoilt by artisan labels :mad2:

I've also got some new and vintage soap bowls / mugs / dishes. Excellent showy stuff to hold soap. I am currently eyeing their Major razor. Like its colors and head style. One of these days maybe

Speaking of which... PAA bay rum products. I know that they have a following around here, but they don't smell like bay rum to me. Smythe and his wife seem pretty cool, no slight on them, and their soaps perform really well, but the scent is definitely not for me. I love their Aventus clone soap, as well as their Chill Mill, but I have zero interest in their bay rum. I went on a bay rum bender last month, buying all sorts of bay rum soaps and aftershaves, and the PAA scents are my least favorite. Both the Clasico and Atomic Age have a hippy-pineapple-fruity smell to them. I know that some people are sensitive to the smell of clove (stay away from Stirling's bay rum if you are), but bay rum should have some spiciness. Col. Conk's offering is a pretty solid middle-of-the-road bay rum in terms of both scent and performance. The only knock I can put on the Conk is I would prefer a more natural list of ingredients. Being soap, however, I understand that you need foaming agents, preservatives, etc. Having said that, if I had to 3017 a bay rum, Conk would be a very comfortable choice for me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Speaking of which... PAA bay rum products. I know that they have a following around here, but they don't smell like bay rum to me. Smythe and his wife seem pretty cool, no slight on them, and their soaps perform really well, but the scent is definitely not for me. I love their Aventus clone soap, as well as their Chill Mill, but I have zero interest in their bay rum. I went on a bay rum bender last month, buying all sorts of bay rum soaps and aftershaves, and the PAA scents are my least favorite. Both the Clasico and Atomic Age have a hippy-pineapple-fruity smell to them. I know that some people are sensitive to the smell of clove (stay away from Stirling's bay rum if you are), but bay rum should have some spiciness. Col. Conk's offering is a pretty solid middle-of-the-road bay rum in terms of both scent and performance. The only knock I can put on the Conk is I would prefer a more natural list of ingredients. Being soap, however, I understand that you need foaming agents, preservatives, etc. Having said that, if I had to 3017 a bay rum, Conk would be a very comfortable choice for me.
I'll have to see if I have any Stirling Bay Rum around here. I really admire what they are doing in their little community down there.

I'll have to see if I have any Stirling Bay Rum around here. I really admire what they are doing in their little community down there.

Stirling's soaps are amazing performers. I went crazy and bought a lot of their stuff over the Thanksgiving break. Their Piacenza is a new favorite. I went back for the aftershave and edt, and bought three more containers of the soap. Great stuff. Highly recommended. However, their bay rum is clove heavy. This isn't an issue for me - I've got their Black Ice and Obsidian and love both. So, strong scent profiles aren't usually an issue for me, but there are a lot of people that want some version of bay rum that they've got in their head, and apparently, that doesn't include any clove. PAA is sweet and fruity, Stirling is the polar opposite. I want a more traditional, spicey/clovey/cinnamon bay rum. The Conk is a good middle-of-the-road scent profile, the Ogalalla is stronger, but still pleasant.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Stirling's soaps are amazing performers. I went crazy and bought a lot of their stuff over the Thanksgiving break. Their Piacenza is a new favorite. I went back for the aftershave and edt, and bought three more containers of the soap. Great stuff. Highly recommended. However, their bay rum is clove heavy. This isn't an issue for me - I've got their Black Ice and Obsidian and love both. So, strong scent profiles aren't usually an issue for me, but there are a lot of people that want some version of bay rum that they've got in their head, and apparently, that doesn't include any clove. PAA is sweet and fruity, Stirling is the polar opposite. I want a more traditional, spicey/clovey/cinnamon bay rum. The Conk is a good middle-of-the-road scent profile, the Ogalalla is stronger, but still pleasant.
Yeah, I like the clove, no excuse! I like an aftershave so strong it not only slaps my face, it slaps everyone around me!

Mitchell's Wool Fat. I'm disappointed I don't like this because I want to like things that seem "classic." I like the strong, soapy scent. I can get a decent, hydrated lather with it, but it just doesn't perform for me for some reason. It feels dry and not slick enough, especially by the end of a pass or of the whole shave. I have tried adding glycerin and even some Proraso Blue cream to it as well, still without being happy.

Lather and Wood Sandalwood. I'm not sure why I bought this. It smells ok but has a weird, chalky, residue-y feeling to it.

Proraso tub soaps. The cream in the tube is ok, but I only use it as a pre-shave now.

I find that any soap that falls short for me can simply be used as a pre-shave lather. I don't like wasting things, and who knows, maybe I'll suddenly dial something in that hadn't worked well before!

Top Bottom