What's new

Ethos shave stick / top shelf stick questions

Once I run out of tallow Speicks I’ll just be making my own. Hasslinger’s, Mike’s, and tallow MWF are currently sticked, but I don’t travel near as much as I used to.
I would love to know how you make your own? In my head, I can't justify spending $20 + on a shave stick. I really like the Latoja, but want to try Speick stick also. No, of course they're not $20 +, but my point is made 😊⚾☕️.

I would love to know how you make your own?

Ideally, you want your stick to be a bit softer than a 'regular' i.e. proper hard soap like Martin de Candre, Saponificio Varesino, Pre de Provence or MWF etc - think Arko firmness which is easy to wipe onto face.

So you can take a soft soap like Stirling, or Razorock Dead Sea or even Cella & mix that with MWF or Haslinger's - roughly 50/50 will do. Grate the hard soap and mix it in to the soft one with a fork & stuff into a stick container, and it'll be fine next morning.

I do one stick with RR Dead Sea and Haslingers with a small bit of Myrsol Shave cream which is a firm cream - comes in a 1kg tub and is close to no scent (some light lemon to it), and is a bargain.

The rest of my sticks now will be SV or PdeP mixed with that Myrsol cream - the Myrsol has lanolin & glycerin so the combination is great.

SV Morado and Argania, and PdeP Bergamot & Thyme mix sticks will be my permanent rotation once I work through a bunch of other soaps...

IMG_5192.jpg

I would love to know how you make your own? In my head, I can't justify spending $20 + on a shave stick. I really like the Latoja, but want to try Speick stick also. No, of course they're not $20 +, but my point is made 😊⚾☕️.

I didn’t like La Toja because the salts were drying. Lea/Bea didn’t make the cut back when either. Valobra/Tabac were exceptional performers but I didn’t like/hated the scent.

So the MWF got used up and reloaded with Speick.

I simply take a hard soap, throw it in the freezer for a while and grate it down (freezing reduces grater friction melting and clogging of the puck) or just razored thin slices. Wet my fingers and start packing them in. Damp fingers sticks all the soap together. Roll the bottom up to a 1/2-1” from the top, pack that layer, screw it down and do the same until it’s full or you’re out of soap. Works for all the container types. Deodorant, glue sticks (small and too fiddly for my taste) other solids containers, whatever

Harder soaps are fine. If it’s sat and hardened up and uncomfortable on the face, run the stick under hot tap water for a bit until it softens up and you’re good. I’ll water mine occasionally to keep them hydrated. The Speick in the tin doesn’t get watered, so it gets the tap treatment.

A fatter stick can be brush loaded with some flinging of soap but it works too. Especially if you don’t load enough on your face for subsequent passes. Dialing in loading takes a few tries for new stick loaders.

These stick holders are probably 15 yrs old and available in most US vendors for… $1.75 back when? These volumes are good for months of daily shaves. The tinned Speick lives in my carry on, weekender dopp. I’ve got a bigger long term dopp that the container sticks live in for variability

IMG_7527.jpeg

Last edited:
@KW Driver what search words would use. Shave stick containers?

If you’re US based, I’d grab it from Maggard’s. If not, use twist up title from either site.

My white one came from Mike’s as a stick buy, and I grabbed the clears later to make more

Last edited:
Considering price and performance, Speick is almost impossible to beat. I don’t think I’ve seen a shinier lather and I have tons of soaps from cheap to really expensive
Are you talking about the reformulated one ? (Without tallow)?
Never tried the new one , having still 2 older versions :))but curious about the new one

rgds
tam

Last edited:
Top Bottom