What's new

Any help for a newbie

Hey,

Newbie (4 days new) to DE shaving and newbie (1 day) to ever doing a post query/forum (so let me pre-apologize for being so clueless...

Got the Muhle r41 with Derby extra blades....have watched all the various YouTube videos to get a clue but after 4 days and performing 2-3 passes each day I am simply not getting a close shave (obviously human error)

No cuts/irritation issues....Armenian, so faiirly thick stubble :) ..... but not the "baby smooth" that everyone seems to refer to after such effort....trying different angles....hearing the the blade cutting the hair but when all is said and done.....still rough.....any thoughts?

That is a very efficient razor but I personally don't like the Derby blades. I would recommend you try another blade like an Astra SP. What kind of prep are you doing to soften your beard and what soap?

Welcome to badger and blade and to the world of wetshaving!

First off- we are here to help you enjoy your new hobby and there are lots of wonderful people here that are ready and willing to support you!

You have chosen a razor that is considered somewhat advanced and is a bit unforgiving- that is it requires a good understanding of technique and is pretty unforgiving- meaning it will not yield its best shave unless you "nail" the angle.

My suggestion to you is to go slow and give it time. The BBS you often hear is IMHO a bit over emphasized. Chasing one or trying to force it is frustrating and counter to enjoyment. Relax and enjoy the shave experience. For a long time I could not get a really close shave but after a few months it got much easier.

Try different soaps and creams (preparation and product is at least as important as the shaving tool) and remember price does not necessarily equate with performance there are many low cost products that are excellent. Lastly, you will find that different razors "like" different blades.

If you haven't already done so post in the introductions area and everyone will give you a warm welcome and lots of feedback to help you. Don't hesitate to ask questions and enjoy!

Hi...thanks for reaching out

Soap - Taylor of Old Bond, Sandalwood
Pre-Shave - Lather & Wood
After-Sahve - Lather & Wood

First off- we are here to help you enjoy your new hobby and there are lots of wonderful people here that are ready and willing to support you!

You have chosen a razor that is considered somewhat advanced and is a bit unforgiving- that is it requires a good understanding of technique and is pretty unforgiving- meaning it will not yield its best shave unless you "nail" the angle.

My suggestion to you is to go slow and give it time. The BBS you often hear is IMHO a bit over emphasized. Chasing one or trying to force it is frustrating and counter to enjoyment. Relax and enjoy the shave experience. For a long time I could not get a really close shave but after a few months it got much easier.

Try different soaps and creams (preparation and product is at least as important as the shaving tool) and remember price does not necessarily equate with performance there are many low cost products that are excellent. Lastly, you will find that different razors "like" different blades.

If you haven't already done so post in the introductions area and everyone will give you a warm welcome and lots of feedback to help you. Don't hesitate to ask questions and enjoy!

Okay....I will lower my expectations and just enjoy the process (no worries)....appreciate the feedback

If you can, try an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor with either Astra SP or Wilkinson Sword blades (German, black tuck with white insert). If you prefer soaps, then try any Captain's Choice or Barrister & Mann's Latha. Softer soap that lathers really well. For a cream, try any St James Of London or Truefitt & Hill. Another gem of a cream is Body Shops Maca Root.
I bowl lather with either a soap or cream. My bowl is from Captain's Choice. I like it like that:a5:
Good luck and many great shaves!

Mikey

I suggest you work your way through one or two blade sampler packs.

I second this. It is amazing how different some blades can feel. It sounds like you are doing most things right, might just need some practice to be able to keep a consistent angle in relation to the skin.

In my 3 years of wet shaving I've achieved a (partial) BBS maybe twice and I don't really see what all the BBS fuss is about. It is going to grow back so why go through all the frustration and possible irritation :)

Take your time, be patient, and enjoy the process! :)

Don't obsess about getting a BBS. It is based on total technique, which takes a while to develop. It will come in it's own time.

It usually takes about thirty days of shaves with a de razor and a hundred with a straight razor before you start attaining the perfect bbs shave. It's something that takes practice but just clicks at some point.

In the mean time don't worry about your end result. Your shaves are likely good enough that nobody but you realizes that they aren't perfect.

It will come to you in time.

Now about that razor... could you have possibly picked a more aggressive razor to start this off with? That's certainly a bold move. Take your time with your shaves and watch your angle and pressure carefully or that razor will make you pay for your mistakes.

I would echo previous comments and make another one that you might read from others. Try not to mess with too many variables at once. I'd say if you are gashing yourself or getting a lot of razor burn than stick with the razor you have. I'd also stick with one soap for now. I don't have TOBS soap, although it is on my list to try, but I doubt that has anything to do with your inability to get as close of a shave as you would like to get. Same goes with your blade choice. By all means, try out a few different blades. The Astras are probably a good recommendation. But ultimately, long story short, as @dfoulk indicated, it just takes experience. As you get your process down in terms of lather quality, blade angle and other technique factors, it comes together. I am at probably 50 or 60 shaves in at this point and I can get a BBS shave for most of my face pretty much daily but my technique is still not tight enough to consistent get a BBS shave on my neck, chin, and jaw line sometimes. Everyone is different though. Sounds like you are doing great. Give it time, try to limit confusion by not changing up your soap and blade variables excessively.

Derby aren't very sharp so that can be part of it. Being so new to DE shaving is probably most of it. As others have said, don't worry too much yet about trying to get a perfect BBS shave (it will come pretty quickly) and concentrate more on your overall technique for now.

Some suggestions if you want to speed the process:
-Sharper blades that are still smooth. I love Astra SP, Nacet and Israeli Red Personnas. I think Shark SC makes a decent blade to start with as well. Don't go too sharp yet, especially with such an aggressive razor, or you will end up with some nicks and cuts.

-Maybe try a less aggressive razor. That may sound counter-intuitive but it may be worth a try. When I first got started (a whole 7 weeks ago or so :001_smile ), I found the more aggressive my razor/blade combo the happier I was. However, that was also easy to end up with cuts and nicks and once I dialed the razor back a bit I found I was more willing to play a little with the angle until I found what seems to work best (now, generally without thinking about the angle, I can get a near perfect 3 pass BBS shave with little to no irritation and almost never getting a nick or weeper). A less aggressive razor may make you a little more confident and allow you a better shave. The r41 is one of the more aggressive razors out there and generally is not recommended for beginners. It is possible you are being too careful as a result (either if you knew that, or if you had a bad nick or cut to start out). People generally recommend the Merkur 3 piece razors (I have the 38C and love it), the Edwin Jaggers (I love my de86 which is the de89 with a black handle) and the v3 head from Maggards and the Mission head from RazoRock/Italian Barber are great budget choices (both are basically EJ 89 clones). If you like the open comb of your r41, the RazoRock and Maggard open combs aren't overly aggressive and can be a good razor for a beginner as well (I love my RR Old Type OC).

Top Bottom