What's new

Any flashlight/lumen nerds out there?

I have three Fenix flashlights that replaced Surefires. The LD15 is my EDC. They're well built and all three take the readily available AA batteries. :thumbup1:

agreed, great lights. i have 4-5 of the AA/AAA ones. this will be my first foray into the 18650 lights, and with the charger now, i can expand into other models that take the rechargeable size.

After having purchased a lot of lights I eventually come up with a few that I use all the time. Zebralight H51f headlamp, Thrunite TI, and Ultrafire T-50 (my favorite).

This is funny - I just bought that same flashlight. The Sabbatical is channelling funds into all sort of non-shaving things

Just received my Eagletac D25C ,277 lumens OTF running one primary cr123.Not as tiny as my old Nitecore EZ123 ,but lots more light,due to the great cree xm-l u2 emitter...

Fenix E05 on my keychain. Great, versatile light. Got one for my wife also, and she lost it. Recently replaced it with an olight i2. Again a great light with 3 modes compared to a single for the phenix plus a lot brighter. I also have a few vintage maglights, 2c and 4d, and recently purchased a new set of led 2c and 2aa, which are ok. My olight M20sx with 500 lumens is a canon in comparison. 3x the maglights, but worth it IMHO. I also have a Guard Dog Halo290. It's an off brand and value priced, but has been very reliable on the 18650 battery, which it came with and a charger. But, do your research on the Li Ion rechargeable, they can be dangerous if they are over charged and/or over drained.

Fenix E05 on my keychain. Great, versatile light. Got one for my wife also, and she lost it. Recently replaced it with an olight i2. Again a great light with 3 modes compared to a single for the phenix plus a lot brighter. I also have a few vintage maglights, 2c and 4d, and recently purchased a new set of led 2c and 2aa, which are ok. My olight M20sx with 500 lumens is a canon in comparison. 3x the maglights, but worth it IMHO. I also have a Guard Dog Halo290. It's an off brand and value priced, but has been very reliable on the 18650 battery, which it came with and a charger. But, do your research on the Li Ion rechargeable, they can be dangerous if they are over charged and/or over drained.

If you really like your old Maglites, you should try a Malkoff drop-in kit in one of them. In my opinion it blows Maglite's own LED system out of the water. The Malkoff kit is pricy but it is a neat way to modernize an incandescent Maglite if you enjoy that style of light.

If you really like your old Maglites, you should try a Malkoff drop-in kit in one of them. In my opinion it blows Maglite's own LED system out of the water. The Malkoff kit is pricy but it is a neat way to modernize an incandescent Maglite if you enjoy that style of light.

Going to have to keep that in mind.

The Fenix and other small lights are very convenient and are rugged enough to take abuse, but nothing beats an old 3D or 4D when you happen to encounter a less than cuddly animal.

Agreed, about the Malkoff kits. I actually have misplace my large D mag, and that's why I bought the mag LED package. With the olights I don't really need the upgrade. I dig 'em all!

i just switched my order from the PD32(T6) to the TK22 :laugh: i like the rugged look and throw a bit more, and my dealer was very accomodating...$20 upgrade for the light, still going to get the batteries and charger

apparently there is a PD32 G2 coming out, that is superior to the PD32 and PD32(T6)

$Fenix-TK22-LED-Flashlight.jpg

apparently there is a PD32 G2 coming out, that is superior to the PD32 and PD32(T6)

Superior in what way? I looked over that link but not sure what I was seeing. I love the Fenix lights I have and I'm not against buying another "just to see" (oh, bad pun, sorry about that :biggrin1:) but where is the 'superiority'?

Ken

supposed to have a better insulation in it, won't heat up as fast etc.

i think the UE was kind of like LE brushes...buy buy buy, before they are gone, only to have it because it says UE on it.

i guess flashlight aholics are the same as brush aholics with the LE's and UE's and SE's etc.

I suppose, but insulation or no, the UE is brighter, eh?

Ken

it is, but the TK throws farther which is probably better suited for my camping needs.

the overall brightness is usually TURBO only 3min bursts. so i'm fine with the TK lumens

it is, but the TK throws farther which is probably better suited for my camping needs.

the overall brightness is usually TURBO only 3min bursts. so i'm fine with the TK lumens

Oh, I get the TK. My question was comparing the PD32 UE with the G2 you cited earlier. Seems to be a step backward. I must be missing something. In that thread, people seemed more interested in it's SLIGHTLY smaller size (I think .4" was cited) than in output. The PD32 UE is plenty portable for my needs.

And you're right about turbo burst modes and not generally needing additional lumens, even about throw but between the UE and the G2, I'm just not onboard as to it being an "upgrade"

Ken

Oh, I get the TK. My question was comparing the PD32 UE with the G2 you cited earlier. Seems to be a step backward. I must be missing something. In that thread, people seemed more interested in it's SLIGHTLY smaller size (I think .4" was cited) than in output. The PD32 UE is plenty portable for my needs.

And you're right about turbo burst modes and not generally needing additional lumens, even about throw but between the UE and the G2, I'm just not onboard as to it being an "upgrade"

Ken

Ah, got it. I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews and threads comparing the 32UE and 32G-2 or whatever it's called.

I have recently gotten into flashlights and I purchased a XinTD C8. It's a pretty cheap Chinese clone of the other C8's Uses one 18650 and puts out ~1000 lumens. I love it.

My Fenix TK22 came and has blown me away. It's an awesome size, great throwing distance, easy to operate with the side push button that many have complained about.

i do prefer the tactical switch to switch modes like my other lights, but it's not a deal breaker. i will likely leave it on HIGH or TURBO all the time anyway.

Top Bottom